Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Just upgraded from Windows Vista 64bit to Windows 7 64bit.
Now my PowerDVD Ultra 8 program won't play blu-ray movies anymore.
It will play DVD's, but this isn't what I bought this program for.
Every time I put a blu-ray movie in it tells me it needs a periodic upgrade.
I click on yes and it tells me the upgrade is completed.
As soon as I hit play or resume the same upgrade message comes back up.
The blu-ray movie will NOT play no matter what.
I ran the Windows 7 compatibility test and there where no issues reported.
This just totally sucks as all I have now is a worthless program that plays DVD's instead of blu-ray.
Tried upgrading to latest build PowerDVD 8 Ultra build 3017 with no results.
The program is completely unresponsive.
I have now opened a support ticket and will have to wait and wait for hopefully a working solution.
My understanding is that ultra 8 is suppose to work with windows 7 but have not seen any patches available.
Cyberlink is the only program that has failed after upgrading to windows 7.
I have had nothing but problems with this program any time I try to upgrade or install new build version.
I really wish there were more available choises for blu-ray playback programs.
I am having the exact same problem with Ultra8.
Put in Transformers Revenge of the Fallen on blu-ray and got greeted with a update message.
Clicked on yes and now the disc wouldn't play.
Tried several other blu-ray movies and now none of them will play.
DVD's seem to work fine.
I am also getting a message to register and activate my program as well after owing this for 8 months. WTF???
Thanks Daisuke for the reply.
I will most likely continue to keep my current PowerDVD8 (version2521) but was really hoping to hear from some of the current PowerDVD9 owners.
PowerDVD9 owners, What are your experiences with this program?
Are you happy with the upgrade or do you wish you kept your old version?
I currently have PowerDVD Ultra8 and keep getting messages to upgrade to Ultra9.
I have held off from upgrading due to all the horror stories I read about PowerDVD9 crashing, freezing, audio problems, ect.
Has the PowerDVD Ultra9 bugs been fixed yet to where this is now a reliable program to use for blu-ray movie playback?
My current PowerDVD8 works just fine for blu-ray playback and DD-DTS 5.1 audio, using Vista 64bit, and certainly don't want to upgrade unless I know for sure Ultra9 is going to work and be worth while.
Also does anybody know if either of these programs are going to work with Windows7 64bit?
Thoughts and opinions please.
I'm not trying to defend Cyberlink or your Ultra8 program, but will say I had WAY to many PROBLEMS with WRONG REGION codes from Netflix blu-ray movie rentals.
This was also using them in another Stand Alone player as well.
Many times these rental movies will appear to look alright (no fingerprints or scratches) but will still freeze or lock up during playback.

I finally got so fed up with it, I cancelled my Netflix membership.
Thanks for the replys so far, and hope to hear from more of you.

Chris,
I am using PowerDVD Ultra for Blu-ray playback only, and very rarely ever watch DVD's anymore.
This why I won't try the trial version of PowerDVD Ultra 9.

Thanks William, for your feedback regarding Ultra9.

This is what I am really concerned about.
Going from a working version Ultra8 , to something that is only going to give me grief and problems.
Unless I hear more success stories than problems, I will continue to hold off on upgrading, and encourage others to do the same.
I have yet to get a trial version to fully work, so I am not going to go that route.
If I upgrade it will be the full version, or I will keep the same one I currently have.
Chris you claim Ultra 9 is working great. Was this right after installation, or did you have to do anything else?
I am really hoping to hear some more success stories before I consider making the plunge.
Anyone??
I have Power DVD Ultra 8, and use this for blu-ray playback.
Lately I keep getting notices to upgrade to Power DVD Ultra9.
I have held off due to all the problems people were experiencing, when it was first released.
Has anybody been successful in getting this latest version to work, without experiencing major problems?
Would YOU recommend upgrading?
After having a totally disastrous experience with a previous update, I have learned my lesson.
STAY AWAY from future updates, until you are SURE the bugs have been worked out.
The last update for my PowerDVD Ultra 8 crashed my entire program and made it useless.
Had to contact support, and go through an AGONIZING wait period to get a link to the previous working version.
It pays to visit and read the update reviews and comments before deciding to give it a try.
More times than not, you will be SORRY if you update your Cyberlink build to the newest version.
I was hoping by now Cyberlink would have the bugs worked out of Ultra9, but apparently not.
Will keep my Ultra 8 for now, which works providing I don't try any of the new updates.
Last time I tried an update it rendered my player and program completely useless.
Had to contact support, go through an agonizing wait period, and then get a link to completely re-install it.
Some update.
When is Cyberlink going to get it together and provide a bug free Ultra9 ??
I guess the waiting goes on and on.
ARRGG!
Say it isn't so!
How can so many problems be plaguing this new release?
I wouldn't touch PowerDVD Ultra 9 with a ten foot stick at the moment.
Has anybody gotten this to work yet?
Still waiting to hear one success story.
Anybody?
Definitely will NOT be upgrading to PowerDVD Ultra 9 until they get all of the bugs and issues resolved.
I have yet to hear anybody say anything POSITIVE about this new release, which is just PATHETIC.

Please get this fixed and get it together Cyberlink!!
The latest full version of 2521 has been fixed, so no more Avast antivirus false alarm.
Make sure your DAT files on Avast are updated before running a scan.
Just ran a complete scan and no viruses detected.
Audio via my SPDIF connection (optical) using PowerDVD Ultra 8, down mixes Dolby TrueHD and outputs Dolby Digital 5.1.
The same goes for DTS-HD MA, down mixes and outputs DTS 5.1.
Should be the same using PowerDVD Ultra 9.
I do know many people using the new PowerDVD Ultra 9 are reporting audio problems using there HDMI connection.

HP Pavilion Elite m9280f
Video Card : NVIDIA 9800GT
Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium
Sound System : Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 505-Watt 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System
Monitor : Samsung SyncMaster 245T 24" 1920x1200 HDMI & DVI inputs
Quote:

It doesn't register codecs properly so, in my case, the audio config is greyed out, the BD region info is greyed out, it doesn't play BD discs, crashes with divx or avi files. The list goes on but one specific codec CLADT.ax will not register, despite working in other versions.

What annoys me is they know this is an issue with v8 and they still release it and I know there are a lot of people with this problem.

And the add in pack I am sure is an additional expense but I can't find it on the site.

I JUST DON"T GET IT?
This thread should be starting out with HIGH praises for this new PowerDVD 9 release.
Instead, all I have seen are PowerDVD 9 customers with a multitude of problems and issues.
This goes for this forum and others.
You would think Cyberlink would have had these major problems worked out before the official launch. I can understand some problems arising with a new version launch, but there should be more HAPPY SATISFIED POWERDVD 9 CUSTOMERS, than NOT!! This doesn't seem to be the case from what I have seen.
I can only hope Cyberlink will get it together, and give us a working error & bug free PowerDVD 9 version.
I am considering upgrading to PowerDVD Ultra 9, but am somewhat reluctant.
Robison, can you tell us what issues are you experiencing?
Is it the same problem with the antivirus false alarm, or something else?
Is the add on pack for 7.1 DTS-HD an additional expense?
In a very bizarre twist, it seems Cyberlink's support team all the sudden came out of hibernation.
Later the same evening I got multiple e-mails notices and found ALL my support tickets had been answered.
Why it took this long with NO response, I have no clue.
I did find the reply's to be conflicting, as they were from different agents.

My latest support ticket gave me a full 2521 version, which I was successfully able to install. It seems to be working fine, and I haven't noticed any issues. I haven't seen any notices from Cyberlink that it has been fixed, which still has me concerned.

The other support tickets gave me links to previous Ultra 8 builds, and said: we regret to inform you that the latest 2521 build of PowerDVD 8 Ultra has been found to have some Bugs in it. We have escalated this issue to our product development department and they are expected to fix it soon.

Hopefully Cyberlink will post a notice that the bugs have been fixed on the 2521 build.
This would put many people including myself, more at ease.
I am happy to report moments after posting this, I got a response to my latest support ticket.
It is distressing that it had to go this far to get this resolved, but I was able to get a link to reinstall my program.
I now have a working program and player once again.
I can also report build 2521 does work if you install the full version, and make sure your antivirus is turned off.
I don't know if Cyberlink has resolved the issue with build 2521 and the antivirus programs producing a false alarm yet.
Hopefully Cyberlink will give us a report or update on this issue.
I have been waiting since last Sunday for a reply to one of my support tickets.
I lost my original working PowerDVD Ultra 8 program when trying to upgrade to 2521.
All I want is a link to reinstall my original program.
I have been trying to get somebody from customer support to answer my support ticket, but still NO answer.

WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO GET A REPLY???

What do I have to do to get a link to reinstall my original program, that I paid $99.00 for???
I have a valid license key.
Please reply or explain what is going on with customer support not answering support tickets.
I have been patient, but am now reaching the end of my rope.
Thank You
Hi Daisuke,
I will exclude this folder from my Avast antivirus for now.
Please notify us as soon as this issue has been resolved.
Thank You.
Go to: