Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen disables all blu-ray playback
Stan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2008 12:36 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using PowerDVD8.0.2217.50 since last November and have not had any compatibility issues with blu-ray titles, although I admit it's been a while since I purchased a new title. But today I tried to play the new "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" blu-ray, and a popup informed me that I need a periodic update to PowerDVD to play that title. I've seen this popup before, and I've always been able to click "No", then start playback successfully. But with this title I was never able to get past the popup - it would just keep coming back every time I hit play.

To make matters worse, now I cannot play ANY blu-ray titles anymore. I encounter the same upgrade popup which did not exist just prior to playing Transformers. It seems like the software has been disabled for all blu-rays. DVDs continue to play OK.

I guess I'm hesitant to upgrade PowerDVD because I was having no issues with 2217.50, so first I tried restoring the system. Fortunately I had just taken an image of the hard disk, so I was able to restore the entire system without too much effort. However, even after completely re-imaging the hard disk, this problem persisted. Then I experimented by switching to another blu-ray drive of the same model and that actually fixed the problem.

I will eventually upgrade to 8.0.3228, but for now I'm scratching my head about what happened. It seems like the new Transformers blu-ray caused PowerDVD 8 to disable all blu-ray playback (AACS key revoked?). But the flag that PowerDVD uses to disable it is actually stored in the firmware of the blu-ray drive? Does that make any sense? Has anyone else encountered this?
John [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2009 20:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I don't get the message what I get is a trip to the desktop. I use powerdvd 9 ultra. Just changed my video card to Ati 4890 thought that was the problem. seems it killed my blu-ray playback a well just tried a movie I watced last week goes straight to desktop after loading.It closes the player as well. I have a 965 intel processor 6 gigs ram an auzentek x-fi Hanns G 28 lite-on player and now an ati 4890 my other card died 280 gtx and I needed a new card only thing changed is video card and newest drivers out today 9.10
Something esle happened as well nothing in my audio section as well nospeaker or effects in pull down menus.

BD adviser says my video card isn't able to do blu-ray but ati says it does

edited twice to add info

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 24. 2009 23:02

Trent2012 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2009 20:59 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the exact same issue. I purchased Transformers Revenge of the Fallen on blu-ray today. When I try to play the disc, it gives me a message saying it needs to update a critical component of the player. I click Yes, and it then informs me the update was completed. I then click play again and it gives me the "critical component needs to be updated" message again. It does this for all of my blu-ray discs now.

I have an OEM copy of Power DVD 7.3 ultra that came with my LG blu-ray disc drive model GBC-H20L. The version of Power DVD I am using is 7.3.4429 and I checked the website for any newer updates that I could install for my Power DVD 7.3 OEM copy and I could not find anything.

Any help would be appreciated.
JJPower [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2009 22:34 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the exact same problem with Ultra8.
Put in Transformers Revenge of the Fallen on blu-ray and got greeted with a update message.
Clicked on yes and now the disc wouldn't play.
Tried several other blu-ray movies and now none of them will play.
DVD's seem to work fine.
I am also getting a message to register and activate my program as well after owing this for 8 months. WTF???
Moviebuff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 07, 2009 15:31 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Possibly that I am wrong, but I read that to play Blue Ray DVDs, you require PowerDVD9 Ultra and specifications quoted, before playback can be achieved. Suggestions will be most appreciated.
JJPower [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tried upgrading to latest build PowerDVD 8 Ultra build 3017 with no results.
The program is completely unresponsive.
I have now opened a support ticket and will have to wait and wait for hopefully a working solution.
My understanding is that ultra 8 is suppose to work with windows 7 but have not seen any patches available.
Cyberlink is the only program that has failed after upgrading to windows 7.
I have had nothing but problems with this program any time I try to upgrade or install new build version.
I really wish there were more available choises for blu-ray playback programs.
Michael [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 24, 2009 22:01 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem of it always asking for an update after trying to play Transformers 2. This was for all my Blu-Rays. I downloaded the newest update off the site and installed it. Everything works like a champ now.
JJPower [Avatar]
[Post New]
What latest update?
Carl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 12, 2009 10:31 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, what is the update? You have a link for it? I am having the same problem with PowerDVD8 Ultra. I bought Transformers 2 and it asks to update every time you try to play the movie, but it never plays.
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
From here hover over the Downloads on the top of the page. Go to Software updates and follow the option for your product. For PowerDVD8 Ultra it was an update from July...so it is not a new update...but the newest one out.
Trent2012 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I guess I'm out of luck then, since the last update for the 7.3 Ultra BD edition (the version that came with my blu-ray disc drive) was released back in September of 2008.

Anyone out there with 7.3 that knows of a way to fix this problem?
Michael [Avatar]
[Post New]
You may want to try and install the update off the site, even if it is the version you have on your computer. I had the same version as the site, basically just installed over what was on my computer.
Trent2012 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried re-downloading and and re-installing the current update on the site, but it still keeps displaying that critical update message and won't let me play any blu-ray discs.
Majin Shredder [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2009 22:59 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Add me to the list as well. I've tried un/reinstalling several times, and keep getting the 'please update' message, and no new updates available. I've installed off the original disk, off the site, tried updating from the program itself, and nothing works.

And in a probably unrelated coincidence, the computer's clock said was two days behind when I randomly checked it today, but the time was correct..............
Trent2012 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I upgraded to PowerDVD 9 Ultra from 7.3 Ultra BD and that fixed my problem.

Thanks for everyone's help though.
jeff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2009 10:57 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I've been scratching my head withthe same problem! So I guess if you have the 7 version your going to have to spend the money to upgrade to 9. Is that the solution?
STEFAN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 03, 2009 08:03 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
I upgraded from PowerDVD 7.3 to PowerDVD 9 Ultra on my Windows XP Pro SP3 machine and did not solve any issue. Besides that, the PowerDVD 9 Ultra crashes instantly when attempting to play anything be it DVD title or BD title (even after reinstalling it). All these happened to me after I switched my drives (HDDs and ODDs) from PATA to SATA AHCI mode by clean reinstalling the OS and loading SATA AHCI drivers with F6 during OS install (before the switch from PATA to SATA had no issue in watching BD titles on PowerDVD 7.3 OEM).

Regards
STEFAN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 03, 2009 08:03 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
It appears to me that PowerDVD does not work well under antivirus environments. I had stuttering (and even video/audio disabled) playback under PowerDVD 7.3 and crashes under PowerDVD 9 Ultra and both issues were solved by disabling the antivirus (BitDefender 2010 in my case on two machines) or placing the PowerDVD exe files on the antivirus white list (in case of PowerDVD 9 Ultra the file to which the desktop launcher is linked should be placed on the antivirus white list as well and restart the machine for the antivirus setup modifications to become effective). I know it does not look very much related to the subject but I think it's worth giving it a try.

Regards,

Stefan

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 05. 2009 07:13