Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote It will likely take a lot of "editing" to get yourself or anything for that matter, inserted BEHIND an actor in the clip. I dont think that there is any video editor out there that can do that with a preset function.
What it takes is
A copy of the clip in the background.
On top of that a clip of you, taken with a green screen, removing the green, so that you are present as part of the clip
And then on top of that a copy of the original clip (already in the back ground), in which the actor who needs to be in front of you, is all masked out. This masking should be done very precisely, otherwise you will see what trick is being played. Not trivial at all. Probably a frame by frame setting. I think that the options in the most recent version of PD (20) is better suited to do such masking.

Thank you very much for your reply. I do understand what you are saying. The Hitfilmm Express as a tutorial on this but with one less video. Since I do have Cyberlink, I wanted to stick with this one. I'll try what you said, Thank you.
Hi, Can Cyberlink 17 have the capability to insert yourself behind an actor in a movie?
Hi, Thank you very much for your help. I used the ColorDirector and the mask motion tracking function and the tracking was pretty bad - I had to fix each frame and it took a long time, so I decided to just use a green screen next time for part of the video and then finish the remaining of the video without the green screen so when I cut the video in two, I will save the green screen one with a background and then save the 2nd one in a cartoon or animation style. Hopefully, this will work.

Thank you very much. Vivian

Hi,

I have no experience using any online program but I can give an quick, silly and very rough example using PDR365 and ColorDirector and a mobile phone clip. CDR has a user defined paint mask feature that can apply a blue/green screen automatically.
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85279.page

So, in this example, replace the hazy background of the Atlas mountains with a green screen using the paint mask feature and mask motion tracking function.

Using the previous technique (which I know doesn't work easily for you!!) but just for illustration purposes, we can do a split screen sky replace in a panorama shot over Marrakesh from the tower in Le Jardin Secret.

Combining the two techniques makes it looks very rough and not something to be recommended but it does illustrate the potential, given a complex horizon and absolutely no fine tuning at all !!

Maybe other members can offer more suggestions to help you along the way?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Hi,
Are you talking about doing actual animation/cartoon techniques (as in the Disney example) or about a general "moving of a character from one style to another"??

If you are looking at the general non-animation technique try this approach:
Use 2 copies of your video.
Style 1 video on T1
Style 2 video on T2
Apply a mask to Style 2 video to give the split screen effect between the 2 styles

The finished effect will depend on your content, so in this quick example, Style 1 street scene is styled with color painting effect and Style 2 is left normal.
The mask is applied to Style 1 and sized and formatted to suit.

Does that help as a starting point?

Cheeers
PowerDirector Moderator

Yes, your download is exactly what I was trying to do. My daughter figured out how to do it, and it turned out exactly like the download you sent me. When you mentioned split screen, we didn't use the split screen feature, we duplicated the video and cut off half of one video (no masking) and made it look like a cartoon. We are going to now try to change the background of the 1st video. Unfortunately, Cyberlink in my computer started stalling whenever I used the masking technique and I ended up losing a lot of time and had to start the masking over again and the same thing kept happening. So now I'm looking for an online program that can remove the background,so that I could change the color and use it as a green screen to get another background. If you know of any program, I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you very much for your help. Vivian
Hi, I saw a Disney clip on two different videos put together like split screen and one character from one video walks into the other video then back to the first video. I would like to do that effect but not sure how to. I appreciate any help you can give me. The following is the Youtube address where I saw this effect. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPolWHKVx7s
Thank you all for your help - You made my decision easier.
Hi, I browsed through the forum for Graphics card and what I found was dated from 2012 down. I'm sure there has been upgraded versions since then. I'm thinking of buying a computer (xps 8940) that has AMD graphics card. I thought the Nvidia was more for video editing, but now I'm comfused. I appreciate if you could help me with this - which graphics card is best for video editing, AMD or Nvidia? Thank you. Vivian.

If video editing will be the primary use for your new computer, a Desktop computer with a powerful CPU and GPU and plenty of RAM and hard drive capacity would be the way to go. If, like me, you are a casual user of Power Director, then a gaming laptop works just fine. I have a good gaming laptop that I also use for writing and video editing. It handles all three processes very well, but if I was heavily into video editing then I would have a Desktop computer.

The specs that I want in my new desktop computer are i7, 16gb, 1T ssd, dedicated graphics card, and windows pro. When you use your gaming laptop for video editing, does it lag or does it do a good job? I do planned on using the computer for video editing and since I'm going to spend above my budget, I want a computer that will do a great job and also offers more. Anyway, either way I I will buy a desktop but not sure if it will be a gaming or a regular pc which is what I'm trying to figure out before buying one.

Again, thank you.
Hi, I'm buying a new computer and know the specs I need - I'm down to one decision but need more info on it. I'm a little confused about which computer to buy - a gaming one or a regular desktop pc. I appreciate if anyone here can tell me which type of computer is best for video editing. Thank you.
Hi, If you know how to do a Live action to animation crossover, please let me know what to use in Cyberlink?

I have some ideas but not sure. I was thinking that if I could use a split screen, I could duplicate a video and rotoscope one of them, then cut out the parts not needed. Another idea was using the layer effect by having it blur the duplicate until it looks like line drawing.

I can't find a tutorial on how to do this and don't want to spend time trying to figure this out when I don't know where to start from and end up spendin a lot of time doing it wrong, so I appreciate any help anyone here can give me to put me on the right direction. Thank you.
Quote PD can't work with GIFs on the timeline, so save it as a video. MP4, WMV or AVI are good formats to work with. Avoid MOV if possible as there can be issues with QuickTime clips.

Thank you very much for your help.
Hi, I'm working on a rotoscope animation to put in my video, then import it in PowerDirector 18, but I don't know what extension to save it under. This animation will have 19 frames. Do I save it in .gif, mpeg, mp4, or some other ones? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you.
Quote Without a screenshot or more details it's hard to give an answer that will work in all situations.

Am I correct in assuming that you don't have a clip of the runway without the model on it? If you did, you'd simply place that section of the clip with the empty runway and use that.

If you had a tripod-mounted camera and it wasn't panned to follow the model, you could place a copy of the clip on tracks 1 and 2 and maybe offfset them in time a little. Then use a mask and position keyframes to remove the person from the clip on track 2 and show the empty runway on the track1 clip since it's actually from a different time. By choosing the right time offset and mask, you can fully remove any moving object and let the background show through.

If you had a handheld camera and/or were panning when the model was present, you're in for a lot of work to try and match up shots where the model was and wasn't in various parts of the frame. It can be done, but only you can say if it's worth the time and effort to do so.

Sorry for not making myself clear. I did not take the video; I found it on Youtube and just wanted the background stage with the people sitting on the sides watching. The video could be any runway stage - I just need to remove the model(s) so I could use the background stage and people on the side and save it without any models. I plan on video taping my daughter modeling in front of a green screen and then place her on that runway stage. Is this something that can be done in Cyberlink Powerdirector 18? Thank you very much for your help. VMK
Hi, I'm not having much luck removing moving objects from a video. The video has a background that I want but I need to remove the model who is walking down the runway - is it possible to remove her? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Quote Like I said just put the clips on two tracks with the rotoscope on the lower track. Adjust the opacity to fade it in/out and you can also change or fade out the background video once you're focused on the rotoscoping clip.

Any basic editing tutorials should show how to do that.

Thank you very much for all your help. VMK
Quote As long as your animation has a transparent backround (alpha channel) you can place it on a lower track on PD's timeline and use a series of opacity keyframes to fade the animation in/out independent of the background video.

If the animation has a solid background of any kind, you'll neeed to chroma-key it out using the PiP Designer to make it transparent so the background video will show "behind" it.

Hi, Thank you very much for your help. The following is what I would like to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncM8NsvCd6s Line 10:12 and 15:04-15:07. Although this was done with different programs, not cyberlink, I would like to do this in Cyberlink if possible.
Hi, I would like to put a rotoscope animation in front or on the original video and then have the animation start fading into nothing while exposing the original footage behind it. I saw a fascinating video where the characters were in and out of animation and then in front of the original footage fading into the air leaving the original footage there. After Effects and other video editing programs were used to do this; If this is something that can be done in Cyberlink, I appreciate if you can help me with this. Thank you. Vmk

You import a photo, not a video. Then you tweak the face settings. Send an email to crazytalk they are quick to reply back. They can direct you to videos. When you done with crazy you export. Now if your photo is only of the animal head a green screen you could then bring it into PowerDirector and add your own background and green screen it and get creative. Also, they have a higher version that may do video you would need to ask them though.

Thank you very much.

I am pretty sure you can do it but with some work. Crazytalk software has been doing this for years and in my view would be a better option. Sign up for the newsletter and wait for a deal. Also known as reallusion

I do have CrazyTalk that I downloaded a week ago, but it doesn't allow me to download or import any personal video. I followed the directions from Sony Vegas and tried to find similar features in Cyberlink but couldn't find them and there's no tutorials on it either. Cyberlink is the only editing program that my computer can handle and I also like it but wish it could do more.

Thank you for responding to my post.
Hi, I watched a Youtube tutorial on creating Funny talking animals in Sony Vegas and was wondering if this can also be done in Cyberlink Director 18. If not, do you know of another good program that can be used to create this? Thank you.
Go to: