Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Disney video effect
VMK123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2020 22:30 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I saw a Disney clip on two different videos put together like split screen and one character from one video walks into the other video then back to the first video. I would like to do that effect but not sure how to. I appreciate any help you can give me. The following is the Youtube address where I saw this effect. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPolWHKVx7s
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, I saw a Disney clip on two different videos put together like split screen and one character from one video walks into the other video then back to the first video. I would like to do that effect but not sure how to. I appreciate any help you can give me. The following is the Youtube address where I saw this effect. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPolWHKVx7s

Hi,
Are you talking about doing actual animation/cartoon techniques (as in the Disney example) or about a general "moving of a character from one style to another"??

If you are looking at the general non-animation technique try this approach:
Use 2 copies of your video.
Style 1 video on T1
Style 2 video on T2
Apply a mask to Style 2 video to give the split screen effect between the 2 styles

The finished effect will depend on your content, so in this quick example, Style 1 street scene is styled with color painting effect and Style 2 is left normal.
The mask is applied to Style 1 and sized and formatted to suit.

Does that help as a starting point?

Cheeers
PowerDirector Moderator
 Filename
Split screen cartoon.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
33303 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
54 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 15. 2021 04:12

VMK123 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,
Are you talking about doing actual animation/cartoon techniques (as in the Disney example) or about a general "moving of a character from one style to another"??

If you are looking at the general non-animation technique try this approach:
Use 2 copies of your video.
Style 1 video on T1
Style 2 video on T2
Apply a mask to Style 2 video to give the split screen effect between the 2 styles

The finished effect will depend on your content, so in this quick example, Style 1 street scene is styled with color painting effect and Style 2 is left normal.
The mask is applied to Style 1 and sized and formatted to suit.

Does that help as a starting point?

Cheeers
PowerDirector Moderator

Yes, your download is exactly what I was trying to do. My daughter figured out how to do it, and it turned out exactly like the download you sent me. When you mentioned split screen, we didn't use the split screen feature, we duplicated the video and cut off half of one video (no masking) and made it look like a cartoon. We are going to now try to change the background of the 1st video. Unfortunately, Cyberlink in my computer started stalling whenever I used the masking technique and I ended up losing a lot of time and had to start the masking over again and the same thing kept happening. So now I'm looking for an online program that can remove the background,so that I could change the color and use it as a green screen to get another background. If you know of any program, I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you very much for your help. Vivian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 15. 2021 13:54

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Yes, your download is exactly what I was trying to do. My daughter figured out how to do it, and it turned out exactly like the download you sent me. When you mentioned split screen, we didn't use the split screen feature, we duplicated the video and cut off half of one video (no masking) and made it look like a cartoon. We are going to now try to change the background of the 1st video. Unfortunately, Cyberlink in my computer started stalling whenever I used the masking technique and I ended up losing a lot of time and had to start the masking over again and the same thing kept happening. So now I'm looking for an online program that can remove the background,so that I could change the color and use it as a green screen to get another background. If you know of any program, I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you very much for your help. Vivian

Hi,

I have no experience using any online program but I can give an quick, silly and very rough example using PDR365 and ColorDirector and a mobile phone clip. CDR has a user defined paint mask feature that can apply a blue/green screen automatically.
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85279.page

So, in this example, replace the hazy background of the Atlas mountains with a green screen using the paint mask feature and mask motion tracking function.

Using the previous technique (which I know doesn't work easily for you!!) but just for illustration purposes, we can do a split screen sky replace in a panorama shot over Marrakesh from the tower in Le Jardin Secret.

Combining the two techniques makes it looks very rough and not something to be recommended but it does illustrate the potential, given a complex horizon and absolutely no fine tuning at all !!

Maybe other members can offer more suggestions to help you along the way?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
 Filename
Auto greenscreen sky replace.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
29021 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
35 time(s)
VMK123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Thank you very much for your help. I used the ColorDirector and the mask motion tracking function and the tracking was pretty bad - I had to fix each frame and it took a long time, so I decided to just use a green screen next time for part of the video and then finish the remaining of the video without the green screen so when I cut the video in two, I will save the green screen one with a background and then save the 2nd one in a cartoon or animation style. Hopefully, this will work.

Thank you very much. Vivian

Hi,

I have no experience using any online program but I can give an quick, silly and very rough example using PDR365 and ColorDirector and a mobile phone clip. CDR has a user defined paint mask feature that can apply a blue/green screen automatically.
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/85279.page

So, in this example, replace the hazy background of the Atlas mountains with a green screen using the paint mask feature and mask motion tracking function.

Using the previous technique (which I know doesn't work easily for you!!) but just for illustration purposes, we can do a split screen sky replace in a panorama shot over Marrakesh from the tower in Le Jardin Secret.

Combining the two techniques makes it looks very rough and not something to be recommended but it does illustrate the potential, given a complex horizon and absolutely no fine tuning at all !!

Maybe other members can offer more suggestions to help you along the way?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 16. 2021 01:05