Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
New Computer
VMK123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2020 22:30 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm buying a new computer and know the specs I need - I'm down to one decision but need more info on it. I'm a little confused about which computer to buy - a gaming one or a regular desktop pc. I appreciate if anyone here can tell me which type of computer is best for video editing. Thank you.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's one of the most common questions on the forum and there are hundreds of discussions already here. A quick search, sorted by date, would bring up recent results like this.
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, I'm buying a new computer and know the specs I need - I'm down to one decision but need more info on it. I'm a little confused about which computer to buy - a gaming one or a regular desktop pc. I appreciate if anyone here can tell me which type of computer is best for video editing. Thank you.

If video editing will be the primary use for your new computer, a Desktop computer with a powerful CPU and GPU and plenty of RAM and hard drive capacity would be the way to go. If, like me, you are a casual user of Power Director, then a gaming laptop works just fine. I have a good gaming laptop that I also use for writing and video editing. It handles all three processes very well, but if I was heavily into video editing then I would have a Desktop computer.
VMK123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2020 22:30 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]

If video editing will be the primary use for your new computer, a Desktop computer with a powerful CPU and GPU and plenty of RAM and hard drive capacity would be the way to go. If, like me, you are a casual user of Power Director, then a gaming laptop works just fine. I have a good gaming laptop that I also use for writing and video editing. It handles all three processes very well, but if I was heavily into video editing then I would have a Desktop computer.

The specs that I want in my new desktop computer are i7, 16gb, 1T ssd, dedicated graphics card, and windows pro. When you use your gaming laptop for video editing, does it lag or does it do a good job? I do planned on using the computer for video editing and since I'm going to spend above my budget, I want a computer that will do a great job and also offers more. Anyway, either way I I will buy a desktop but not sure if it will be a gaming or a regular pc which is what I'm trying to figure out before buying one.

Again, thank you.
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]

The specs that I want in my new desktop computer are i7, 16gb, 1T ssd, dedicated graphics card, and windows pro. When you use your gaming laptop for video editing, does it lag or does it do a good job? I do planned on using the computer for video editing and since I'm going to spend above my budget, I want a computer that will do a great job and also offers more. Anyway, either way I I will buy a desktop but not sure if it will be a gaming or a regular pc which is what I'm trying to figure out before buying one.

Again, thank you.

My Laptop has an i7 processor, 16 gigs of RAM, 300GB hard drive, and a GTX1060 video card. It handles Power Director perfectly. In your case, go for a Desktop, and get an i9 processor if your budget allows. Good luck.