Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem removing moving objects from video
VMK123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2020 22:30 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm not having much luck removing moving objects from a video. The video has a background that I want but I need to remove the model who is walking down the runway - is it possible to remove her? Thanks for any help you can give me.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Without a screenshot or more details it's hard to give an answer that will work in all situations.

Am I correct in assuming that you don't have a clip of the runway without the model on it? If you did, you'd simply place that section of the clip with the empty runway and use that.

If you had a tripod-mounted camera and it wasn't panned to follow the model, you could place a copy of the clip on tracks 1 and 2 and maybe offfset them in time a little. Then use a mask and position keyframes to remove the person from the clip on track 2 and show the empty runway on the track1 clip since it's actually from a different time. By choosing the right time offset and mask, you can fully remove any moving object and let the background show through.

If you had a handheld camera and/or were panning when the model was present, you're in for a lot of work to try and match up shots where the model was and wasn't in various parts of the frame. It can be done, but only you can say if it's worth the time and effort to do so.
VMK123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 18, 2020 22:30 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Without a screenshot or more details it's hard to give an answer that will work in all situations.

Am I correct in assuming that you don't have a clip of the runway without the model on it? If you did, you'd simply place that section of the clip with the empty runway and use that.

If you had a tripod-mounted camera and it wasn't panned to follow the model, you could place a copy of the clip on tracks 1 and 2 and maybe offfset them in time a little. Then use a mask and position keyframes to remove the person from the clip on track 2 and show the empty runway on the track1 clip since it's actually from a different time. By choosing the right time offset and mask, you can fully remove any moving object and let the background show through.

If you had a handheld camera and/or were panning when the model was present, you're in for a lot of work to try and match up shots where the model was and wasn't in various parts of the frame. It can be done, but only you can say if it's worth the time and effort to do so.

Sorry for not making myself clear. I did not take the video; I found it on Youtube and just wanted the background stage with the people sitting on the sides watching. The video could be any runway stage - I just need to remove the model(s) so I could use the background stage and people on the side and save it without any models. I plan on video taping my daughter modeling in front of a green screen and then place her on that runway stage. Is this something that can be done in Cyberlink Powerdirector 18? Thank you very much for your help. VMK
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, as I described above that's a basic editing task. There are many tutorials here on the forum, on YouTube and in the Cyberlink Learning Center that may help.

FWIW, video editing has a way of taking up a lot more time than expected than when you first start a project, and I'm a big fan of keeping things simple whenever possible.

In this case, I'd strongly recommend finding a suitable stage that doesn't have anything distracting on it at all. There are literally thousands of video clips and photos of empty stages available online available for free, including on the Directorzone website and from Shutterstock (if you have the subscription version of PD).

Spend a few minutes tracking down something suitable and then concentrate on getting good shots of your daughter and putting her on the stage