Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Edit & Produce a SQUARE (1:1) video with PD 17... HOW?
Stephane99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 24, 2011 21:32 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
For the life of me, I am trying to figure out why PD 17 doesn't include the square ratio which is most popular on social media Facebook and Instagram while still including the completely useless 4:3

How do I make a square video on PD17 without having to fire up Premiere?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
This appears to be a company decision to not support that format at this time. The vertical 9:16 setting is a fairly recent addition, for example. Both of these threads offer different approaches to making 1:1 videos from the PD side.

If you're making a FB ad, you can make the video in PD with the content in the central square (which may actually be easier with the 4:3 format) and use FB's cropping tool under Manage Ads to crop it it 1:1 as explained on this page. This would seem like the simplest way to go.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Stephane99 -

In a world of Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, IGTV & mobile devices, I guess it is an odd decision NOT to incorporate 1:1 apect ratio into an NLE.

As has been mentioned in other posts, PDR cannot produce square videos at this time. Once you've built your video in PDR, there quite a few easy ways to get it cropped to 1:1.

One of the simplest (free) ways is to use VLC Player to convert/save the video using the method shown in this tutorial. For converting a 16:9 - 1920x1080 - video to 1:1 - 1080x1080 - this involves cropping 420px from left & right. Once you've set that up in VLC Player's preferences, it's permanently available for other similar tasks.

Here's a little 16:9 video made in PDR17. Here's the cropped 1:1 version made in VLC Player & the same thing posted on Facebook.

As a guide, when making the video in PDR, you can use a temporary overlay like the one attached so you know what space you're working with.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Square in 16.9.png]
 Filename
Square in 16.9.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
14 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!