Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi All

i don’t use AudioDirector 8 often but on my recent project I have to have someone read a lot of quotes. I am altering the quality of the reader’s voice as they are read. I wonder if there is any way to save my settings as a template? I know each effect can be saved as a custom preset but what I hoped was that there might be a way of saving them all so that I could just drop a new audio file in and all the adjustments were added automatically. Any thoughts?

Regards

Nigel
Steven

Thanks for that. It seems to be Ok if I first produce it at 50p and then use the produced version. In most occasions I would be extracting a slowmo section anyway. Presumably the clip produced by PD is of a more normal flavour and as a result does the same job as Handbrake.

Regards

Nigel
Quote Whether your camcorder is shootingin slow motion or not isn't really a factor. What matters is the specs of the video it outputs.

Open one of the videos from your camcorder in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy and paste the report it generates to this forum.

Once we know the specs of your source footage we'll better be able to offer advise.

Steven

I attach a text file as you suggested. This is the one that I was extracting a clip from.

Regards

Nigel
Good Morning All

I recently bought a second video camera a Panasonic HC- VXF1. It is much smaller than my main camera and does a lot of things just as well. One of the things that is easy to do is slow motion and I have been experimenting with that. The files I was getting using slowmo were large and contained a lot of rubbish so I thought I would edit out the best bits and produce each as a new clip and delete the original.

My time line environment was set to 25p and the clips ran fine on the timeline. However when I produced at 25p the first three quarters of the clip rendered fine but the last quarter was the same frame over and over - like a freeze frame effect. Examining the original clip I see that that one is 50p progressive. So I rendered at 50p and all was well. Now I thought what is going to happen if I combine 2 clips (I usually film at 25fps) one at 25 and the slowmo one at 50. Is there going to be a problem when I produce at 25fps? I tried it and no problems the combined clip ran perfectly!

I am not complaining - just saying I don't understand it. Why does a single 50fps slowmo clip rendered at 25fps have problems but when combined with a 25fps clip there are no problems.

Sorry if my post is bit convoluted.

Regards

Nigel
Quote You picture does not show two tracks, it shows one stereo track with the left channel on top and the right channel on the bottom.
PD will import the stereo track and will play both at the same time. the top one will come out of the left speaker, the bottom one out of the right speaker.

Hatti.

Hatti

Of course I was stupid. I understand it now. Thanks for your patience!

Nigel
Hatti

Thank you for your demonstrations - I am learning a lot!

However I imported one of my .mp4 clips to Audiodirector 8 to test. This clip has 2 tracks one recorded with a Manual setting (the top one) and the bottom one with audio set to manual. You will see that the waveform is not the same. So I think Audiodirector is importing 2 different tracks and not just the top track. See my attached screenshot. Or maybe I am missing something.

I will try and get a second mic and connect both up to my camcorder and input sound from 2 different sources to see what happens.

Regards

Nigel
Quote PD cannot handle a clip with multiple audio tracks. Mostly it is used for different language. PD can only import 1 track: the first. More than one audio track is defined e.g. for the matroska container (MKV). For those clips with more than one audio track there is a menu, if you right click on the clip in the media library, where you can change the audio language.
As it selects just one audio channel at a time, the better way is to demux the tracks from the container. There are several free programs in the internet. Than you can add the tracks seperately to the timeline.
But PD can import a stereo track, so if your microphone setting is, that on the left channel of the audio track is the microphone and on the right channel an other microphone, than PD will import both channels and play the audio according to the channel. You have to split your audio channel into left an right channel. If that can be done with wave editor, or AudioDirector? I don't know. I think, audacity can do it.

Hatti

Hatti

That is really interesting. I will have to explore this more. I have tried right clicking on the clip in the media pane but I cannot see an option to change the audio language. The only relevant option is to extract the audio.

I can certainly see both tracks when I use the Audio Director and if necessary I could save both tracks individually and then import them into PD16. I am not sure I understand how you make them left and right once they or on the timeline.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Nigel
Hi All

I set up my camcorder to record the input from my shotgun mic to both the left and right tracks. I set one track to a manual input and the other to automatic. I do this so that I have a back up if my manual audio goes wrong or even to correct the automatic level if it gets spooked by a quick noise or such. If need be I can adjust the track levels in Audio Director. What I was wondering this morning was when a video clip is imported directly into PD16 (obviously it becomes mono) which track does it choose? Or does it combine both? I suppose it must combine both as I could use 2 mics picking up different speakers.

I don't want to waste anyone's time as it does not cause me any trouble and usually the sound is good from the imported clip anyway. It only causes a problem when I use a lapel mic - the auto level then picks up every breath taken. I usually turn auto off then.

Regards

Nigel
Quote Hi all:

I found it!
Yes, PD CAN do slip editing. It is done easily in the Trim window using the little padlock icon, labelled "Lock Duration". Simples!

Scott

Sorry for being a bit thick but I can't understand what this does. I am not used to using the trim function. I usually just split the clips and insert them and maybe I am missing something that would be useful and make my life easier. I think I tried what you outlined (using the padlock) but it still allowed me to adjust the clip on the timeline by dragging each end.

As I understand it you are saying that the central clip can be trimmed (shortened) without its duration being altered so presumably it runs slower?

I am sure I have got this wrong but perhaps you would be good enough to enlighten me.

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel:
Imagine this scenario:
You have a project open and let's say you have 30-40 clips on your timeline. Also, let's say that you have some music on your music track to provide a soundtrack background. So if you make any more changes to your project, you don't want to change the overall length of it because that would ruin the alignment with the backing soundtrack. BUT, let's say that you decide to change the in and out points of the third clip on the timeline. You can do this by moving the beginning and end points and actually do this on the time line. However, if you want to move the in point forward (to the left), first, you'll have to move the out point to the left and then drag the clip to the right to give yourself room to move the in point.
If you want to move the in point and out point by a large distance (say a minute or more) and your clip is just a few seconds long, you'll have to do the above process quite a number of times. There is a danger in all that pfaffing around of something getting tangled up and ruining your project. So here's the easy way:
1) Select (highlight) the clip you want to slip
2) Click the scissors button to bring up the Trim window.
3) Click the little padlock button to lock the clip duration
4) While still in the Trim window, Click in the middle of the blue bar and drag it.
5) You'll notice that the in point and out point move in unison but stay the same distance apart
5a) You'll also see that the Trim window gives you a preview thumbnail of the first and last frame of your clip so you can see how the edit will work. Unfortunately, these thumbs don't update until you stop dragging the blue bar, so you have to fiddle a bit if you're trying to get it just right.
6) When you press OK, you'll be returned to the timeline with your clip still the same length, but with the new in and out points.
I know this is a very long answer, but try setting up a simple project with a few clips and experiment with it. This technique is really useful for long complicated projects.
Regards, Scott
PS, I forgot to add that this only works on the Single Trim tab of the Trim window. It isn't available in the Multi Trim tab of the Trim

function. HTH?

Scott thanks for the detailed reply. I understand now and thank you for that great tip. I have wasted a lot of time moving sound clips back and forward after making that sort of edit. It never occurred to me that this was possible. Thanks again for your time.

Nigel
Quote Hi all:

I found it!
Yes, PD CAN do slip editing. It is done easily in the Trim window using the little padlock icon, labelled "Lock Duration". Simples!

Scott

Sorry for being a bit thick but I can't understand what this does. I am not used to using the trim function. I usually just split the clips and insert them and maybe I am missing something that would be useful and make my life easier. I think I tried what you outlined (using the padlock) but it still allowed me to adjust the clip on the timeline by dragging each end.

As I understand it you are saying that the central clip can be trimmed (shortened) without its duration being altered so presumably it runs slower?

I am sure I have got this wrong but perhaps you would be good enough to enlighten me.

Regards

Nigel
Quote AAAAARGH! I am losing my frickin mind. All it takes is a single click of my mouse to open the PIP module. So...every time I want to hilite a clip so I can move it or whatever, the whole program halts while it opens the PIP UI. This happens so often I can barely edit anything. Click=open maybe 90% of the time. Then I have to wait for it to fully open so I can close it. Then do it again, then again.
Am I alone in this and is there any help to stop it?

Barry Do you mean clicking on a clip in the Timeline?. If so I have just tested it and it takes 2 clicks to open PIP designer in my setup. It just gets highligted on the first click. Could be something wrong with your mouse? Or DTs (that is a joke! I don't know how to do those funny face thingies).
Nigel
Quote ... not too expensive 4K card ...

err. i recommend GTX 1050Ti >/= 2GB Vram; for, you don't need extra power supply dongle because the gpu draws power from PCIe slot. totally working with PD16 is up to CL... err, you'll see the fingers pointing to each other, CL & nVidia... already... ^^

happy happy joy joy
PepsiMan
'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks for that info PepsiMan. I will have a look at your suggestion. Unfortunately the innards of a PC are another country to me! I depend on "experts" to add hardware but I am wary to spend good money and then find I have more problems than I started with.
Regards
Nigel
Hi All
I am thinking of upgrading my graphic card as I now have a 4K monitor. My current card can't handle that. I have read on this forum that some cards Nvidia don't work well with PD. Has anyone got suggestions for a not too expensive 4K card that is sure to work with PD 16?
Regards
Nigel
Quote Sadly copy and paste into a new project did not resolve the problem for me. At this point my conclusion is that v16 is unusable until there is a fix for this problem. I can' trust v16 for my projects. I have really liked using this software but if it is unstable it is just a giant wast of time and money.

I have included a screen shot that shows the timeline pointing to one photo and the viewer showing another. The photo in the screen keeps getting redisplayed as the next photo should get displayed.

Interestingly the photo being displayed was not part of the .pds file. That photo was never put in this video, it comes from another project. The only thing in common is the editor.

This is a link to my original post. http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/63841.page#290778
Quote Hi,

The forum is for member to member help, hosted for users at arm's length by CL who do not have a direct input. So members can't help with some things!

However, please give members as much detail as you can on the exact problem, which version of PDR16 and perhaps screen caps of your timeline etc. The more exact info you can give members the better the chance of help - otherwise we all end up guessing.

Have you tried the any files in the Autosave folder - normally something like this? :

C:\Users\{name}\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\16.0\Cache\AutoSave\

your location can be found in Preferences>Project>Auto save project every:

Cheers

PowerDirector Moderator

Yes I had this problem too with PD16. I posted about it approximately a month ago. I think I called it something like “ghost clips “. I had to copy the whole timeline into a new project to get rid of them. Since then it has not recurred thank goodness!
Update!

I got rid of the ghosts by selecting the offending map, copying it and pasting it into a new workspace. No ghosts there! I went back to my original project and behold the ghosts have been banished! So it seems by changing the workspace you get rid of them. There must be a problem with the way the pds file is being updated or not. If it helps anyone to figure this out before I changed the workspace back and forward I created a duplicate map and called it something different before importing to the project I thought this would solve the problem but no the ghosts associated themselves with the new map, That stumped me!

I am now a bit concerned about using PIP as I have wasted so much time this afternoon on this problem.

Regards

Nigel
Quote Hi All

This is driving me mad!! Ever since "upgrading" to version 16 every so often I get ghost images of clips being left behind on the time line. E.g. I am working on a large time line with multiple clips and i add a clip to see if it suits a sequence, after a while I decide it doesnt and I remove it from the Timeline. It appears to disappear and I carry on working. Suddenly the image of the clip starts running on a blank space on the timeline. I can't see it to delete it. I know it is on the top line because if I disable the track 1 it disappears and reappears when I re-enable it. This never happened on PD14 so it is something new with PD16. The only way I can get rid of it is to select all the visible clips and copy them into a new project. This is impracticable with a large project.

Anyone else no what is going on! PD16 is up to date with the new patch. I am not sure if this happened before the patch though.

Nigel

I have discovered a bit more. I had .jpg image of a map which I was superimposing clips on (reduced in size) to represent different areas on the map. I deleted the map and the images and my ghost images (of my inserts) went. I tried bringing the map back to the timeline and my ghost clips are back. They seem to be being retained associated with my map.jpg. I bet if I remove the map.jpg from the library and reimport it they will be gone. I will try it now.

Nope I was wrong. The ghosts are back. They only appear when I use the map that I had as background to my clips. There is a bug in the program that needs sorting out fast!

Nigel
Hi All

This is driving me mad!! Ever since "upgrading" to version 16 every so often I get ghost images of clips being left behind on the time line. E.g. I am working on a large time line with multiple clips and i add a clip to see if it suits a sequence, after a while I decide it doesnt and I remove it from the Timeline. It appears to disappear and I carry on working. Suddenly the image of the clip starts running on a blank space on the timeline. I can't see it to delete it. I know it is on the top line because if I disable the track 1 it disappears and reappears when I re-enable it. This never happened on PD14 so it is something new with PD16. The only way I can get rid of it is to select all the visible clips and copy them into a new project. This is impracticable with a large project.

Anyone else no what is going on! PD16 is up to date with the new patch. I am not sure if this happened before the patch though.

Nigel
Quote Hi Nigel & Hatti -

I'm no expert on these things, but (from what I can tell) the RocketStock freebies are 3D LUTs, in 3D CUBE format. Hatti's right - they don't work in CDR either.

I converted them to .3dl using a LUT Converter tool & the converted LUTs work in both PDR16 & CDR.

The converted LUTs are attached if you'd like to have a play.

Cheers - Tony

Tony

Thanks that has solved it and they are now working.

Nigel
Thanks Hatti I am glad it was not me being stupid!

nigel
Go to: