Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Slip edit function in PD
[Post New]
Hi all:
It seems that Power Director doesn't have a slip edit function. Does anyone have an idea how to do this kind of edit in PD?
For those that haven't heard of this magical piece of editing technique, this is what it does:
Imangine that on the timeline, you have a clip in between two other clips. What you want to do is keep the length of this clip the same, while moving the in and out points either forward or backwards a number of frames. This is often used when cutting on action, but it is also useful to completely change the look of a sequence of cuts.
I know this can be done by moving the in and out points individually and sliding the clip in between these edits, but it would be nice to be able to do it in one action. Scott Hendry
www.scotthendry.com
YouTube username TheCscottHendry
[Post New]
Hi all:

I found it!
Yes, PD CAN do slip editing. It is done easily in the Trim window using the little padlock icon, labelled "Lock Duration". Simples!
[Thumb - Slip edit function.jpg]
 Filename
Slip edit function.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Slip edit capability in PD16
 Filesize
563 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)
Scott Hendry
www.scotthendry.com
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all:

I found it!
Yes, PD CAN do slip editing. It is done easily in the Trim window using the little padlock icon, labelled "Lock Duration". Simples!

Scott

Sorry for being a bit thick but I can't understand what this does. I am not used to using the trim function. I usually just split the clips and insert them and maybe I am missing something that would be useful and make my life easier. I think I tried what you outlined (using the padlock) but it still allowed me to adjust the clip on the timeline by dragging each end.

As I understand it you are saying that the central clip can be trimmed (shortened) without its duration being altered so presumably it runs slower?

I am sure I have got this wrong but perhaps you would be good enough to enlighten me.

Regards

Nigel
Alain II [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 20, 2015 01:34 Messages: 136 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all:

I found it!

Scott

Sorry for being a bit thick but I can't understand what this does. I am not used to using the trim function. I usually just split the clips and insert them and maybe I am missing something that would be useful and make my life easier. I think I tried what you outlined (using the padlock) but it still allowed me to adjust the clip on the timeline by dragging each end.

As I understand it you are saying that the central clip can be trimmed (shortened) without its duration being altered so presumably it runs slower?

I am sure I have got this wrong but perhaps you would be good enough to enlighten me.

Regards

Nigel

Hi Collier,

Google slip editing and you have the answers.

Success!

Alain II
Alain II [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 20, 2015 01:34 Messages: 136 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all:

I found it!

Scott

Regards

Nigel

Hi Collier,

Google slip editing and you have the answers.

Success!

Alain II
[Post New]
Quote Hi all:

I found it!

Scott

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel:
Imagine this scenario:
You have a project open and let's say you have 30-40 clips on your timeline. Also, let's say that you have some music on your music track to provide a soundtrack background. So if you make any more changes to your project, you don't want to change the overall length of it because that would ruin the alignment with the backing soundtrack. BUT, let's say that you decide to change the in and out points of the third clip on the timeline. You can do this by moving the beginning and end points and actually do this on the time line. However, if you want to move the in point forward (to the left), first, you'll have to move the out point to the left and then drag the clip to the right to give yourself room to move the in point.
If you want to move the in point and out point by a large distance (say a minute or more) and your clip is just a few seconds long, you'll have to do the above process quite a number of times. There is a danger in all that pfaffing around of something getting tangled up and ruining your project. So here's the easy way:
1) Select (highlight) the clip you want to slip
2) Click the scissors button to bring up the Trim window.
3) Click the little padlock button to lock the clip duration
4) While still in the Trim window, Click in the middle of the blue bar and drag it.
5) You'll notice that the in point and out point move in unison but stay the same distance apart
5a) You'll also see that the Trim window gives you a preview thumbnail of the first and last frame of your clip so you can see how the edit will work. Unfortunately, these thumbs don't update until you stop dragging the blue bar, so you have to fiddle a bit if you're trying to get it just right.
6) When you press OK, you'll be returned to the timeline with your clip still the same length, but with the new in and out points.
I know this is a very long answer, but try setting up a simple project with a few clips and experiment with it. This technique is really useful for long complicated projects.
Regards, Scott
PS, I forgot to add that this only works on the Single Trim tab of the Trim window. It isn't available in the Multi Trim tab of the Trim function. HTH?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 03. 2018 15:44

Scott Hendry
www.scotthendry.com
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all:

I found it!

Scott

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel:
Imagine this scenario:
You have a project open and let's say you have 30-40 clips on your timeline. Also, let's say that you have some music on your music track to provide a soundtrack background. So if you make any more changes to your project, you don't want to change the overall length of it because that would ruin the alignment with the backing soundtrack. BUT, let's say that you decide to change the in and out points of the third clip on the timeline. You can do this by moving the beginning and end points and actually do this on the time line. However, if you want to move the in point forward (to the left), first, you'll have to move the out point to the left and then drag the clip to the right to give yourself room to move the in point.
If you want to move the in point and out point by a large distance (say a minute or more) and your clip is just a few seconds long, you'll have to do the above process quite a number of times. There is a danger in all that pfaffing around of something getting tangled up and ruining your project. So here's the easy way:
1) Select (highlight) the clip you want to slip
2) Click the scissors button to bring up the Trim window.
3) Click the little padlock button to lock the clip duration
4) While still in the Trim window, Click in the middle of the blue bar and drag it.
5) You'll notice that the in point and out point move in unison but stay the same distance apart
5a) You'll also see that the Trim window gives you a preview thumbnail of the first and last frame of your clip so you can see how the edit will work. Unfortunately, these thumbs don't update until you stop dragging the blue bar, so you have to fiddle a bit if you're trying to get it just right.
6) When you press OK, you'll be returned to the timeline with your clip still the same length, but with the new in and out points.
I know this is a very long answer, but try setting up a simple project with a few clips and experiment with it. This technique is really useful for long complicated projects.
Regards, Scott
PS, I forgot to add that this only works on the Single Trim tab of the Trim window. It isn't available in the Multi Trim tab of the Trim

function. HTH?

Scott thanks for the detailed reply. I understand now and thank you for that great tip. I have wasted a lot of time moving sound clips back and forward after making that sort of edit. It never occurred to me that this was possible. Thanks again for your time.

Nigel