Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio Track - An easy question!
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

I set up my camcorder to record the input from my shotgun mic to both the left and right tracks. I set one track to a manual input and the other to automatic. I do this so that I have a back up if my manual audio goes wrong or even to correct the automatic level if it gets spooked by a quick noise or such. If need be I can adjust the track levels in Audio Director. What I was wondering this morning was when a video clip is imported directly into PD16 (obviously it becomes mono) which track does it choose? Or does it combine both? I suppose it must combine both as I could use 2 mics picking up different speakers.

I don't want to waste anyone's time as it does not cause me any trouble and usually the sound is good from the imported clip anyway. It only causes a problem when I use a lapel mic - the auto level then picks up every breath taken. I usually turn auto off then.

Regards

Nigel
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
PD cannot handle a clip with multiple audio tracks. Mostly it is used for different language. PD can only import 1 track: the first. More than one audio track is defined e.g. for the matroska container (MKV). For those clips with more than one audio track there is a menu, if you right click on the clip in the media library, where you can change the audio language.
As it selects just one audio channel at a time, the better way is to demux the tracks from the container. There are several free programs in the internet. Than you can add the tracks seperately to the timeline.
But PD can import a stereo track, so if your microphone setting is, that on the left channel of the audio track is the microphone and on the right channel an other microphone, than PD will import both channels and play the audio according to the channel. You have to split your audio channel into left an right channel. If that can be done with wave editor, or AudioDirector? I don't know. I think, audacity can do it.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Quote PD cannot handle a clip with multiple audio tracks. Mostly it is used for different language. PD can only import 1 track: the first. More than one audio track is defined e.g. for the matroska container (MKV). For those clips with more than one audio track there is a menu, if you right click on the clip in the media library, where you can change the audio language.
As it selects just one audio channel at a time, the better way is to demux the tracks from the container. There are several free programs in the internet. Than you can add the tracks seperately to the timeline.
But PD can import a stereo track, so if your microphone setting is, that on the left channel of the audio track is the microphone and on the right channel an other microphone, than PD will import both channels and play the audio according to the channel. You have to split your audio channel into left an right channel. If that can be done with wave editor, or AudioDirector? I don't know. I think, audacity can do it.

Hatti

Hatti

That is really interesting. I will have to explore this more. I have tried right clicking on the clip in the media pane but I cannot see an option to change the audio language. The only relevant option is to extract the audio.

I can certainly see both tracks when I use the Audio Director and if necessary I could save both tracks individually and then import them into PD16. I am not sure I understand how you make them left and right once they or on the timeline.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Nigel
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
I made some liitle Videos for you:

VideoClip with 2 audio tracks - PowerDirector 16:

https://youtu.be/jlVOCO2vlCk

VideoClip with 2 audio tracks - AudioDirector 8:

https://youtu.be/raAiVX112lo

VideoClip with 2 audio tracks - Audacity 2.2.0:

https://youtu.be/ntwztBjBya8

I forgot: If you select both audio tracks in audacity, audacity will load both audio tracks at once.

I would recommend to record audio to just one track smile
And have a look at FFMPEG, the swiss army knife for video processing cool

Hatti

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 24. 2018 12:22

Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hatti

Thank you for your demonstrations - I am learning a lot!

However I imported one of my .mp4 clips to Audiodirector 8 to test. This clip has 2 tracks one recorded with a Manual setting (the top one) and the bottom one with audio set to manual. You will see that the waveform is not the same. So I think Audiodirector is importing 2 different tracks and not just the top track. See my attached screenshot. Or maybe I am missing something.

I will try and get a second mic and connect both up to my camcorder and input sound from 2 different sources to see what happens.

Regards

Nigel
[Thumb - Tracks.jpg]
 Filename
Tracks.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
485 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)
Hatti
[Post New]
You picture does not show two tracks, it shows one stereo track with the left channel on top and the right channel on the bottom.
PD will import the stereo track and will play both at the same time. the top one will come out of the left speaker, the bottom one out of the right speaker.

Hatti. Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You picture does not show two tracks, it shows one stereo track with the left channel on top and the right channel on the bottom.
PD will import the stereo track and will play both at the same time. the top one will come out of the left speaker, the bottom one out of the right speaker.

Hatti.

Hatti

Of course I was stupid. I understand it now. Thanks for your patience!

Nigel