CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I have seen both your topics, and must admit that I likely have missed some of the story, but to chime in:

• As soon as you have set a range with the yellow markers, you can indeed mouse click to open a menu with some options, however as soon as you set a range in the dark bar just above the timeline a series of options applicable to RANGE appear, including Render preview (this is to pre-render part of the timeline that may display slowly or with a stutter because there are many changes and features), and the other option is Procedure Range (this is make an output file ONLY of the range you defined. The latter I guess is what you may want to use during long edits to see whether the output looks OK.

• When you insert (using the insert and move) an image in a timeline, all the video and images in that timeline will move, including the sound connected to the videos in that timeline. If your audio is out of sync, it looks like that audio is in another timeline? One option to keep the audio in sync is the select the timeline and the audio and group it and move the group away to make way for the insertion, after that connect the group back to the inserted media?

• It strikes me that you talk about the standard 10 secs of the inserted images, you can change this 10 secs in the preferences / edit tab.

Hope that this helps
Is this what you are after?

I used PD17 and the "out of the box" H.264 MPEG4 1920x1080 16mbps profile for PAL

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wq6ma9yk7kg9wgc/The%20Graham%20Norton%20Show%20BBC%20ONE%20HD%20101.mp4?dl=0

Note that sometimes the PD previewer shows interlacing whereas the produced output does not. And note that the Trail version of PD does not have all the features of the full package.
For what it is worth:
For many years now I transfer all my photo's and video from my iPhones and iPads using Dropbox.
On these devices I have set Dropbox to not work in the background and only when on Wifi, so that I have control over if and when the material is transfered, by opening the Dropbox app and let it find the recent, not transfered files.
Once "behind" Windows, dropbox is synced automatically and I move the material to the correct folders.
This always works best for me, also because I can send and pickup the files when conveniant for me while using the devices and the windows machine.
On very, very limited occassions I connect a device to Windows for transfer, that is when I am in a real hurry and dont want to wait for the upload (downloading is usually much faster), or when there are really large files (and I dont want to wait.....)
Have a look at this discussion:
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77659.page
Ok thanks for the explanantion.

It seems to me that your approach, putting the videos on the timeline and producing a Bluray is the right approach if you merily want to get those old movies on Bluray. PD should be able to do that for you and even the smart fit should work.

For Bluray PD gives two options MPEG and H.264. You may want to experiment with that, but both are good options, H.264 may give you slightly smaller files. As far as I know you cannot mix MPEG and H.264 on one disk so be carefull.

No you don't have to produce the disk before you burn it. PD should work fine producing the disk at once. My suggestion to produce files first and then use these files as input for the disk creation, has to do with
a) (your approach) you select the file format you want (either MPEG or H.264. And you select the resolution too (for full blown HD usually 1920x1080... 24 or 50). It may be a good idea to define some chapters in the timeline, or even by producing separate files e.g. one per year or decade depending on yor needs.
b) With the file produced you can see for yourselve how much space is needed on the disk. If it all fits your 50Gb disks (make sure to tell PD that you are using those!) you can then create and burn the disk. Should it not fit, you can change the parameters for (some of the) the files to get them smaller. To my mind you are a bit more in control yourselve.
I usually take the b) approach as it gives me a feeling to be more in control and if something goes wrong with the burning I dont have to go through all the waiting for files to be produced as PD would do from scratch from the timeline.

Did you try the smart fit approach with the creation of an iso file rather than buring the disk at once? I admit 50Gb of bluray takes time, but you can determine whether it was the disk or something else that causes the error?

You have my sympathy as I know what labour it takes. A while ago I have done the same, took the old 8mm movies and got them on Bluray for the family. I took the b) approach, but I also decided to change all into 16:9, which took a bit more time, because you would want the important stuff still in the frame.
hi
Although I don't know why you get this error message, maybe we can get some progress by the following:

Your explanation and question raises some questions.

• Moving from VHS to bluray is a huge step in quality, from very very poor, to very good. Even if you take time and effort to improve the VHS quality (e.g. the quality of the digital copy of the VHS) any attempt to step up to bluray quality does not bring you bluray quality. Only Bluray quality of the poor VHS registration if you like.

• Smart fit would mean that the video file parameters (like the bitrate) may get changed, decreased (if the files do not fit the disk) or increased (if there is more room to work larger files). Given the previous point, the increase will NOT give you better quality (even if this error message did not occur) and a the decrease will likely give you even lower and poorer quality.

• Are you targetting to make a bluray disk that can be played by regular bluray players, or did you select bluray because then at least the files would fit on one disk? I am asking because the MP2 setting you mention are typically those of DVD and not of Bluray.

• Obviously a bluray with only video files and no menu structure may cause difficulties when playing the disk in a regular bluray player. Some may be able to recognize the files and formats and play, others don't. If they play and recognize then it is even possible that your DVD format will be recognized and the player may even may try to upscale the DVD quality to bluray quality in case you have a HD-TV connected. (NB. Maybe this is not so bad an option, because the upscaling capabilities of either the bluray player and/or your HD TV tend to be better than software can give you. All you have to do a check whether the 4 hours would fit on a DVD, double layer likely).

• So could it be that you are trying to make a DVD disk (given the 720x576 formats and have a Bluray disk in your recorder, which PD does not expect and gives the errormessage you mention (I am guessing)

depending on what is happening and what you aim for, you may want to try and prepare a (bluray) disk and have it written to hard disk instead of to Bluray disk in one go. You have two options here 1) to make the full and ready Bluray disk with PD; the buring to disk using a separate buring program would be straight forward, or 2) to produce bluray compatible files with PD, and use a disk creation program to create the disk with the PD files as input and burn it.
My two cents.
Please have a look at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_jK9Gp0Oa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKbB6RJP3T8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpvUlIKAwOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C0jdcx1-MA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7YaBA9Qun4
I can agree with Optodata last statement. A cache coding issue. And indeed sometimes clearing the temp files will solve some. The cache issues are a bit wider. I also frequently (like with one in three projects) see thumbnails from images in the timeline and the media room that are from other parts of the program, like transitions and particles. The thumbnails of a picture or video used in the media room however is the same (wrong) thumbnail used in the timeline. PD is at least consisted there.
I have reported on this separately to CL.
Caching coding may need some attention.
The reverse is also true: One would expect things like the country/format setting (PAL in my case) to be remembered and used by the program, e.g. in the batch mode settings. Etc.
All very small issues that don't make PD unusable, but very anoying when one is in the routine of editing many videos.
Can you be a bit more specific please? Do you use PD(17) to upload? What mobile? Any specifics on the video formats? Thanks
I dont think that there is an easy way of doing this.
If I were to do this, I would probably go like this:
a) Put all four tracks in the timeline and sync them by audio.
b) make sure that the starting point of all four tracks is equal, by cutting off the start bits of each and dragging them to the start point in the track. I would also do the same at the end, just to make sure that I have 4 pieces if video in each track that are audio-synced and of equal length.
c) I would for each track either cut pieces manually or use pre-cut which ever is easier. And I would do this artificially by selecting points in each video that are artistically nice and I would make sure to cut all videos at precisely the same moments. This is why the complete sync is important. You can use the time code in each. I would make sure that each of the pieces can be recognized: from which track/video and which number in the sequence.
d) make a collage, making use of the correct sequence numbers selecting precuts. Because all the pieces have the same length you have to make sure that the collage videos all start at once. Making also sure that the collage sequence is still recognizable.
e) the result of the collages can be produced separately (in separate projects even), but I would certainly try to see the result of the sequence of collages first.
f) once completed I would produce the result into a high quality video
g) I would also make a multicam video with the fout videos and do some proper directors/editors work with them and procedure the result of this also in high quality.
h) I would them use both the collage (f) and multicam (g) video and put them in the multicam again to make sure that I can edit-out the weak collage results if any.
Of course the preciseness in step c) and d) are vital to this approach.
It will take some effort to get this done I imagine.
Hope this helps, or triggers you (others) to further and brighter insights.
Hi,
Give this a try:

• Unlink the Audio from the video (if not already), and move the audio to a different track (and maybe lock that track if you want to be sure). THAT should give you the ability to rearrange the video without touching the audio.

• Try to move from timeline mode to storyboard mode (pressing the tab-key). You can rearrange the clips at will. When you delete you will still get the question about the gap but it will be easier. Recommend saving the project before you try this out, so that you can restore. Note: when rearranging a large set of clips I occasionally got black holes in the timeline, so you should still mind the gaps.

I guess my last remark on this topic. Many active in this forum have some expertise and sense of what is happening behind the scenes. Many others have and should not have a clue. They buy a computer with an expensive GPU and the buy software that is advertised to use their expensive hardware and then just expect it to work. And so they should.
My Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15 uses the GTX1060 whereas PD17 does not.
This issue has been discussed for a long time and the root cause belongs to NVidia, some Optimus platforms will crash when using their API to access NVidia GPU.
Since there is no solution so far, using Intel GPU is the safe way.

Well, if that is true why can the manufacturers of other Video editing software I have (e.g. Vegas) get this working properly. I have asked both NVidia and Cyberlink to look at this together. I can imagine that they too like this long time discussion being brought to an end...
Hi Irenej

It depends... is the answer to your question 1. What do you mean with deleting projects? Do you mean:

• deleting the SOURCE files of your project? I would not do that, if you have enough disk space I would save the roiginals for later. But YES you can delete your source files, that does not effect the resulting / produced file (dont accidenttely delete that one:

• deleting the project file from PDR? There project files are very small, and same as above, maybe you you would want to do a remake... But YES you can delete the project file. It does not touch the source files and does not harm the produced file.

• deleting the result / production files? I assume that these were the reason for making the project, so that do not make sense.

The option you have of course is to collect the project materials (everything in the media room and stuff you used to make the production) and store it into a folder needly together. Open the File menu and press pack project materials. You can set the resulting folder aside or copy it to an external disk.... and then you can delete the project.

In question 2 I think you mean that you want two separate entries on your DVD, so that you can select the chapters or sections or items? Yes to indicate where the start of chapters is on your timeline, is one way of doing that. The other way would be to produce the two chapters separately and import these into your disk.

Hope that helps.
OK. I understand. You would be looking for Cyberlink to maintain a list of all reported bugs per version (they likely do that already) and report on those on regular basis e.g. each time a new version and/or a new release is made like: here are the bugs resolved and this is what we still have open. And maybe for older versions like: this is what we will not resolve? And bugs in older verions are still in the newer versions, unless reported as resolved?

It would however take some bravery from Cyberlink to list all their software bugs. Especially when releasing a brand new version with: here are the bugs from the previous version we have not resolved yet.... Although we see some software vendors listing the known issues when they release an update, not many will publish the full list.

I would make sense to me that they, within some reasonable time, report back to the customer who reported a bug or a technical issue, what the status of the issue is. Maybe they do, I have no experience with that. It would indeed be truly customer friendly!
When I look at the list of fixed and improvements for e.g. PD17 2509 Beta, I think that Cyberlink is just doing that. Am I missing something or is there more/other you are looking for?
Excellent idea, Maliek, to interview the CEO and maybe the chief software developer. It would be good to understand what their plans are, and if and how they are listening to their customers, w.r.t. some of the technical issues out there. Maybe good to collect a list of questions. Such a thing would be good for Cyberlink too I would assume, platform to seapk up and explain and get buy in.

A livestream with other (profesional) video editors, (who may use PD)? But in general, how do they cope with the editing demands and to what extend do they have influence on what is being filmed and how. Also they may have some tricks and hints we can use (or you can use for you next tutorials)?

Keep up the good work!
Indeed, I have missed that, sorry, and I see that I appear to have given the same suggestions. Looking forward to see whether they have led to something good.
Thank you I also have that problem....but also another I have many faces that moved in front of me while making a concert video. Now I want to blur faces. But soon it says I have reachedthe max allowed 7. How can I continue?

That sometime happens weststar video jg, when you jump on the topic wagon :, you got forgotten. My solution would be either to blur as many faces is you can, then produce the clip and import it to blur another set of faces, product, import, etc, etc. You have to mind the quality of the production and don't mind that potentially the quality drops.
The other solution would be, depending on the composition of the set of faces, to blur out the whole region of faces/people which makes the focus on the subject of your clip more obvious too!

Have fun.
It looks to me that this configuration is more than adequate for the purpose you mention. Many home video editors would love to have this kind of a machine.
And since you talk about using 4K clips, which are large and consume a lot of computer power, maybe you want to have less delay in previewing what you have done on your timeline, by setting the quality of the preview lower in the preferences menu:

or directly (in the flight, when you notice that the preview is slow) by pressing the icon to the right of the camera:

and YES this setting only is for the preview screen and NO it has no influence on the quality of the production.

There are some other settings that may help you get some speed while editiing, like the creation of shadow files that are smaller and easier to edit. Also this feature has NO impact on the quality of you production.

as you can see a lot can be done to make the video editing even more smooth. Enjoy!
Go to: