Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sven,

I found your blog and saw your explanation of how to set up a new 5.7K profile. I'm very impressed that you could do it but I don't think I'm going to do it because I'd probably mess it up.

It would be nice if Cyberlink incorporated something like that in its next upgrade.

Joe
Optodata,

When I downloaded PD17 it consisted of 7 files. I notice in my list of installed programs a seperate item for the Screen Saver. But, which of those 7 original files included it? I presume it's the following: "1-cyberlink_PowerDirector17_ultra_vde180920-03.exe".

I presume that file is the one containing the full PD17 program. The other files are "content packs" and one contains music tracks.

So, I must install the full PD17 program and also the one for the screen saver? Then I presume it will reinstall with no problem. I'm always hesitant installing and uninstalling programs.

If I chose to only uninstall the screen saver program- I wouldn't know what to do next since there wasn't a single file with just that in it. In my list of installed programs- it's listed as "cyberlink screen recorder 2".

Joe
Optodata, I didn't uninstall my PD 13 first- not sure if that'll make a difference. But I will follow your suggestion later today and get back here.

thanks,
Joe
Just purchased and installed PD17 which came with the Screen Saver plug in.

Whether I run it alone or from within PD, it crashes within seconds of asking it to Record.

My PC is a rather powerful Dell XPS desktop.

Not happy about this.

If I click the question mark- then the "about" option- it doesn't do anything so I don't even know what version it is- but it must be the latest.

Joe
Quote Hi

Your question was specifially addressed in this thread. A quick search for "5.2k" would have shown this

optodata,

I just read that other thread. I'm very impressed! Hopefully, PD will evolve to handle 5.7K video directly without all the extra work. I'm planning on purchasing the Insta360 One X so I'm studying all the issues first. I just installed PD17.
Joe
optodata,

Wow! Thanks a million. This little planet feature is the reason I wanted to move up to PD17. I never in a million years would have discovered the solution but of course it does make sense. I'd suggest to Cyberlink to make a note of this and maybe change that option to mention using the 2D for little planet.

I really got into the little planet thing seeing them on YouTube - especially Ben Claremont's channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAjSHLRJcDfhDSu7WRpOu-w

I haven't yet checked to see if there are discussions on this subject in this forum. It would be great if others here are experimenting with this feature.

Thanks again, and thanks to Cyberlink for a great program!

Joe

PS: I'm planning on buying the Insta360 One X camera
After using PD13 for years, I just paid for and downloaded and installed PD17 Ultra. I wanted it so I can do make 360 deg videos, especially little planet videos.

I see a clip that came with the program- "beech 360.mp4"- so I add put that in the time line. I then did a search in the help file for "little planet" which sent me to: https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdirector/17/enu/index.html?hmkwindex.htm

There it says:

In the View Designer you can use 360º video clips to create little planet videos. To create a little planet video, do this:

1.In the Edit module, select a 360° video clip on the timeline and then select Designer > View Designer or Tools > View Designer..

2.In the Projection mode drop-down, select the Little Planet option to transform the video.

But if I look at the drop down menus for Designer or Tools- I simply don't see "View Designer". It ain't there. Under Tools-there is a "360 start viewer" but no "View Designer" option.

What gives? I'm not happy about this. That help file shows a dialogue box that looks similar to the "360 start viewer" but with an option for "projection mode" and other features at the bottom.

I don't even own a 360 camera yet but hope to buy one very soon but I'll wait until I can figure out how to get PD17 to do "little planets".

Joe

And it is a bit dissapointing. According to the web site it says I'd need PD15-16 to upgrade to PD17.

It 's not terribly expensive so I'll spring for a new item.

Or am I wrong about the upgrade?
OK, just keeping this thread going because of my continued confusion.

Since I don't have a smart phone- I can't use the available apps both cameras have. Both also have computer apps. I just read that the computer app for the Insta360 one X is not as good as the phone app. I'm not sure about Fusion Studio- but I do have the GoPro Studio which I used for awhile until I got the hang of my PD13- now I don't need the Studio program.

So, if I just gave up the idea of an app from those companies on my computer- and just brought the files (for either camera) directly into PD17- I presume I could do anything otherwise done in those apps and much more. So, I should have no concern about those apps?

Looking on YouTube- I found a great channel by a guy who really knows 360 consumer/prosumer cameras, Ben Claremont. His channel is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAjSHLRJcDfhDSu7WRpOu-w. He knows the cameras and makes exciting videos- a very talented guy. I asked what video editor he uses and it's Premier. I suspect Premier is not very different from PD. So, my best bet is to upgrade to PD17 and use it- rather than switch to Premier. I believe there's also a Cyberlink channel on YouTube which I've looked at in the past and liked it very much. So, I'll check that out again.

When I shop- I can't afford to have buyer's regret so I go back and forth for a long time with the products.

By the way, Ben Claremont seems to prefer the Insta360 one X over the Fusion.

Joe
optodata,

Thanks for that detailed response.

Now I'm wondering if another video editor might be better for 360 video.

One that is capable of working with these larger files seamlessly.

Joe
360 video with PD17- which video camera most compatible, GoPro Fusion or Insta360 One X?

I have PD16 and I'm very happy with it- editing video from my old Cannon HV20 camcorder and a GoPro Hero 3.

But now I'm excited about 360 video. I can't seem to get a good sense of how good PD17 will be working with 360 videos.

I've read a lot about both video cameras- their positives and negatives.

The Fusion requires a very powerful computer. I think mine can handle it. It comes with Fusion Studio for your desktop and a phone applet. I've found some YouTube videos of Fusion 360 videos and the producers mention other video editing software- but not PD. The Fusion files are slow to move to your computer and rendering is slow on the other mentioned editing programs.

The Insta360 One X is a highly rated camera- it doesn't require as much memory and rendering is faster. It comes with an applet for your smart phone, but unfortunately, I don't have smart phone.

I've spent a lot of time to make a decision but I can't find clear evidence of what to do. I'd like to upgrade my PD16 to PD17 if it's as good as other brand editing programs for editing 360 videos- from either of those 2 cameras. In particular, I like "tiney planet" videos- so it will be critical that I can edit those on PD17, if possible.

And, any suggestions of which of the 2 cameras is most compatible with PD17 will be appreciated.

Joe
I have PD13 and do some video with a GoPro3 and an old Canon camcorder. The 13 is fine for that.

But now I'm turned on to 360 deg video. I see that 17 can edit 360 video. But, how good is PD17 for 360 editing compared to other video editors? I'd like to be loyal to Cyberlink- but if another editor is head and shoulders ahead of PD for 360 editing, I'll get that.

In particular, I really dig "tiny planet" videos. So, should I get PD17 or go elsewhere?

thanks,
Joe

Yes I did, its a good one, but not explaining the panning thing frown

Similar to what the GoPro Fusion calls "overcapture"? With it- you can pan/zoom/tilt within your 360 video any way you like- then save that. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9lUDz2eeCw

Joe
Quote Hi Joe, You may get better answers if you had posted in the part of the forum for the program version you are using. Currently you posted this in the PowerDVD part of the forum. PowerDVD is a player. You want one of the PowerDirector forums.

In the meantime, look at this tutorial There are a lot of good tutorials in the Learning Center.

Stevek, oops--- I know better and wasn't paying attention. I actually thought I was posting to the version forum. I'll do that and I'll check out the Learning Center.

thanks!
Joe
I know that it means picture in picture but the full possibility of this feature escapes me. I'd love to see examples. I've created a simple example of a video of myself kayaking put within a frame within a photo- the photo was taken in one of the big art museums in NYC. My wife is standing there staring at the - what was some famous painting- but I put my video over the frame. And I suppose it's possible to have many frames with videos in them- and have the frames moving around- but I need to see examples. My little video is at: https://vimeo.com/116345679. The options within the PiP room aren't obvious what to do with them. I can experiment and will but seeing some videos would help a lot.

Also, does this web site have a section with links to member's videos? It would be very helpful. If so, I haven't found it yet. Or maybe people just put their work on YouTube, Vimeo and other sites?

thanks,
Joe
In another thread: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/64208.page#292456 the last poster said that when he upgraded Power Director 13 to 16, it left 13 on the system. Most program upgrades would delete the old version of the program. Just curious, but why does it leave the old program? And the old program will still work as before? So, they're completely seperate installs?
Joe
Shadowman, my knowledge of video file types is still weak- when you say output can only be .mp4, if I recorded to that file type and want UHD output, will the .mp4 be UHD? I realize that most people will output to HD.

Though I don't have a UHD TV, I've seen work done by others with a 4K camera, then converted to HD and uploaded to YouTube. The result was fantastic.

Would there be any advantage in this regard to updating my PD to the latest version?

Joe
I'm planning on purchasing a Sony AX53. It's UHD video is recorded as XAVC S codec. Can PD 13 handle it?

Joe
I'm close to buying a Sony AX53 which can record at 4K. I have PD 13 Ultra. I think my Dell is powerful enough to edit 4K.

It's a Dell XP 8700 64 bit purchased in 2014 running W8.1. It has a 4th generation Intel Core i7-4790 processor; 24 GBs of ram, a 512 GB SSD boot drive, a 2 TB 2nd internal drive and a 4 TB external drive. It has a very nice Dell U2412M monitor with 1920x1200 resolution and a 2 GB Radion video card. I don't intend to render 4K video but to recorder it that way and render to HD, for uploading to Vimeo.

I have no trouble working with HD files including very large .mov files I got after sending out old home movies to a firm which scanned them. I can view the .mov files with Quicktime with no trouble at all.

With 4K, I don't know what the file types best to record on the Sony AX53 I intend to buy soon. But I'll figure that out. I just want to be sure that my Dell will be able to edit 4K files.

Joe

PS: I've seen some videos a friend did in 4K which he rendered to HD and uploaded to YouTube. I was blown away at the quality. He has an much more expensive camcorder but I don't think that's what made the difference- it was recording in 4K and rendering down to HD. A neat trick.
I'm glad that WillChill58 spoke favorably about the screen feature having used similar programs. Thanks!

As for his problems with the program- I've been in that situation with other programs- though I realize most people don't have any problems or not much. I like to hear the complaints and if there's a lot of people agreeing, I'll shy away from that program. I expect I'll read the entire board before I upgrade- that's what I usually do.

So I can see that this board is active which is very nice. When they are not- I begin to wonder.

Joe
As I looked around- there are several commercial video screen capture programs- some look impressive and offer trial versions. When I finally decide why I really need this feature- then I'll decide what to buy or I'll just upgrade to 14.

In other threads which I just superficially looked at- I see quite a few complaints about 14 but that's normal with most upgrades.
Joe
Go to: