Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

The easiest thing to do is open up the 5.7K profile, select all content, then copy it and append it to the end of the existing Profile.ini in this folder C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\17.0\UserConfigure. Then save the file and open up PD.

Does the newest version of PD support 5.7K files without the customer having to made such changes?
I see countless YouTube videos (my favorites are Ukraine war and UFO videos)- where the creator is shown in a corner box while they are viewing all sorts of documents and even videos- even live videos on YouTube and other sites.

I have PD 17 and can't see how this can be done with that program. I do see how it can be done with the Zoom program but in a simplistic way. The YouTube sites I watch seem to have all sorts of tricks with their videos. I'm wondering how they're doing this. Perhaps some are just using Zoom? Or, are they using high end video editing programs?

Can this sort of thing be done with PD 21?

I've posted messages on Zoom's support site and on YouTube's support site with no response.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about- a Ukraine war commentator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o6B4sXfnq8

I really like this idea of putting myself in a corner box- so I can explain what I'm looking at on my PC desktop. I've made some videos in the past where I'd add a voice overlay but I prefer to be in a box so people can see me while I'm talking.

Joe Z
Quote Hello,

Version 2 is a very old version and does not have all the features. Make sure you have the latest patch installed, which fixed a crash issue in April 2019. You can find it here:

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html?action=download

Since you want to create a specific type of video, you may want to consider getting the full Deluxe version 4. You will get it at a discounted price if you have one of the upgrade versions of PowerDirector. You just need to have your product key for your PowerDirector during installation:

https://www.cyberlink.com/store/screen-recorder/upgrade_en_US.html?affid=2581_1366_540

Check out this tutorial video from Maliek, where he demonstrates how to create a reaction video with Screen Recorder 4. It will show you most of what you can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGLGbgCUsqE

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Version 4 also crashes- most likely it is a video card problem so I'll wait until I get a new PC- but thanks for your comments! At least now I have a good idea of how to proceed- once I get the new PC.

Hi,

When you say SR recorder doesn't work, can you give a few more details? Your settings and workflow etc. - I ask because I cannot get my webcam overlay to work if I call up SR from within PDR, with the webcam selected. If I call up SR as a standalone or deselect the webcam in PDR then I can get my screen recording and my webcam overlay perfectly, which I believe is what you require?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator.

hmmmm... I starting to begin to get a sense of this from what you say- so, perhaps this is how the YT videos I'm talking about are done- that is- with them in a corner window while showing whatever is on their desktop. So, I guess, what you do is run PDR, then call up SR, and the webcam from within SR.... makes perfect sense, except SR keeps crashing- that is, the program (I downloaded V2) and it pops up and it waits for me to start it working with F9 but when I do that- it crashes- and it knows it crashed as it says so and that I can send out a crash report. As I noted previously (I think)- it was suggested to me, probably in an older message thread, to download a new driver for my video card-which I've hesitated to do since that gets me nervous that installing it might bomb out my entire computer (probably won't but that's my anxiety). So, as I also noted earlier, I intend to get a new PC in a few months which should have an updated video driver, then I'll purchase the latest PD. So, with PD and the SR and my logitech web cam, I might be in business. Have you had any success since you posted the above comment? If so, and if you have any video produced this way- on YT or other streaming service, I'd like to see it.

Hi,

When you say SR recorder doesn't work, can you give a few more details? Your settings and workflow etc. - I ask because I cannot get my webcam overlay to work if I call up SR from within PDR, with the webcam selected. If I call up SR as a standalone or deselect the webcam in PDR then I can get my screen recording and my webcam overlay perfectly, which I believe is what you require?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator.

The SR simply crashes- instantly. I didn't try it with the webcam. My PC is a high end (as of 2014) Dell XPS desktop. It's video card is a AMD Radeon R9 270. I have 24 gigs of RAM on the system. I contacted Radeon and they said I should install a driver update- but I'm always cautious about such major updates. No doubt it would be successfull but this is my business computer and I can't risk having it fail. Years ago I used to "get under the hood" but I'm now too old for that. No doubt, if the driver didn't work, the system could be restored but I don't want that anxiety.

As I noted, I think the YouTubers aren't using a SR. It's as if they were using Zoom but probably not. When I try this with Zoom, the little box I'm in has buttons on it- but I don't see that in the YouTube videos. And as I said, if I use the Zoom record system- only the desktop gets recorded, not me in the box- unless I'm not showing/sharing the desktop and it's only me in a window- then I will get recorded- but not both me and the desktop. If you take a look at the video I mentioned in my last post you'll see what I'd like to do. I see this in many YouTube videos. Maybe this is possible with some high end video programs? I suppose I could ask the YouTubers how they do it- but most of these channels have big audiences and there are usually hundreds if not thousands of comments- so they probably don't even read them.

I'll be buying a new Dell in a few months and the latest Cyberlink.
Quote Hello,

Yes, you can do this with CyberLink Screen Recorder. Depending on which version of PowerDirector you already have, you could have a version of Screen Recorder already. Go to Plugins > Screen Recorder to launch it.

This tutorial provides a quick overview of most of the features of version 4.

https://www.cyberlink.com/learning/screen-recorder/1359/record-with-screen-recorder-4

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Well, using a screen recorder isn't the solution I'm seeking. What I'm curious about is how some YouTubers do the following: they may present themselves in a small square, while presenting documents and even live online sites- while talking about those sites. This is typical in Zoom presentations where a presenter can show his/her desktop and whatever is on it- including online sites. I've been trying to do this with Zoom, with only myself being active. I can indeed put myself in a square in the corner while showing my desktop and any type of document or live online site. But, if I try to record all of this- the recording doesn't come out right. The recording will show the desktop and what's on it, but not the square with me in it. By the way, I'm using a logitech digicam or whatever they're called. The video and sound on it is OK if not terrific.

As for Cyberlink's screen recorder- I can't get it to work (I have V17 of the video program). I asked here about this and it was suggested I should download an updated driver for my video card. But this is an old Dell PC- and I hesitate to attempt updating a video driver for fear it may mess up the system. I plan on buying a new PC in the next few months and I expect the screen recorder will work on it- especially since I'll buy the latest version of this video editing program.

So, in conclusion, are these YouTube folks using Zoom to do this sort of presentation or just editing programs? Here's an example of what I'm talking about- it's one of the many YouTube channels I watch every day on the Ukraine war: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUWwc7Q2520

I really want to learn this trick. And yes, my next effort will be to check out Zoom's community forum, if they have one. I'm a fairly advanced computer user so I can figure this out eventually but it would be helpful if somebody could point me in the right direction.
Joe Z
I spend way too much time on YouTube, mostly watching videos about the war in Ukraine along with videos on the UFO topic. I notice that lately, many of these videos look like Zoom videos. Often, the presenter will show him/her self in a small square, then share his desktop, which often will be showing other online videos, or other imagery, text, etc. I know this can be done with Zoom but I don't know if it can be done without Zoom. If they're not using Zoom, how can this be done using standard video programs like Cyberlink? I have made videos with Cyberlink and before that with MS Moviemaker but I just can't figure out how these YouTube videos are made to look like Zoom videos.

Joe
I have PD17- haven't done much for a while and just now checking into the company web site to see what's up. It looks like all products are now by subscription- at least the editing packages. Is that the case?
It worked! Thanks, man!

I like this type of distortion. I've been a big fan of little planet videos. Maybe I have a distorted mind (being a '60s dude)- but I have more fun with distorting videos than with "normal" videos. I think there's a place for all- but most of the time, I'm just having fun- not trying to be serious. I prefer to get my friends to laugh at my silly videos.

However, you see, I'm a forester and I've found it's not easy to capture on video what I see in the forest. Most videos in forests, unless done by professionals with awesome cameras, just don't do the job. On YouTube there are some forestry related videos- and they suck. I have a few that aren't terrible- one done with my old Canon camcorder and one done with my GoPro. I managed to make the most of their limitations. But, the forest wraps around me when I'm out there- I sense it in 360 degrees.

A recent clip I made of me walking through 100 acres of timber- which I marked for a timber harvest (the screen shot was from that)- I just didn't like it as a normal video or a little planet. Neither captured the feeling. But this "flat" works because it shows 360 degrees with far less distortion than a little planet video- except at the top and bottom. It's not even obvious that it's 360 degrees.

I'll now work on the full clip and see how it comes out.

I should have been able to figure this out on my own- but I was stumped (no pun intended).

thanks again- I see that you are a major contributor to this forum- it's lucky for us PD users to have you here- along with many others who also are very helpful

Joe

PS: many of my videos are on Vimeo- at https://vimeo.com/user845702/videos including the forestry videos, a video of the production of a hideous solar farm next to my 'hood, and numerous really goofy little planet videos- I'll now work on a "flat" version of me walking in the forest and upload that soon
optodata,

I understand the use of View Designer to get a "flat" video- but that's not the kind of flat video I'm talking about. With View Designer you can zoom out and see much of what's in your raw file but not everything- and it's very distorted.

The kind of flat video you see if you turn off the little round 360 button under the view screen- has all the pixels in the video. It's rather distorted on the top and bottom- much like those Mercator maps- whish show Greenland bigger than America.

I've attached a screen shot showing an example- of me in a forest- it's flat but not distorted like a little planet video- but it includes all the pixels in the raw 360 video. Notice that the little 360 button under the view screen is turned off.

I like watched that video- because it shows everything all around me but isn't as weird as a little planet video. So, I can see it on my computer- both in PD but also in the simple editing program offered by Insta 360- the company that produced my 360 camera, the Insta 360 One X. In that program it's simply called the "flat" view- and it also is just for viewing- no way to produce such a video.

unfortunately, in my old age, I realize I can't have everything I want- as the Rolling Stones told me several decades ago- but I can still hope. :-}

Joe

*** file attached *****
Let me redescribe the issue. I haven't used the program for several months so I'm a bit confused.

I load a 360 clip into PD. Then I add it to the time line and I choose 360 when it loads. Now, I turn off the tiney little round button under the viewer that was lit up blue to let me know that it is a 360 clip. Once I do that- the video is flattened- like a Mercator map (sort of). That image contains everything in the file and it is distorted but not like a little planet video. From that point- I can produce a video but having turned off that switch doesn't change the produced video into something other than a "normal" 360 video- because, I presume, that switch is only relevant to the viewer- not a produced video. But what I want to produce is that flattened video- not a little planet video. I like the distortion effect of flattened videos. I also often make little planet videos and I like them too- but I just want to see if I can produce a flattened video. I find it very "trippy". :-}
OK, so, if you load a 360 video into PD17- whether you drop the clip into the time line (and choose 360) or just look at it in the view window- you see it "flattened".

What I'd like to do and can't figure out how- is to "produce" a video that looks flat! But when I "produce" it- if I then look at the .mp4 file in Windows Media Player (on a system running W8.3) or in Quik Time Player- it retains that flat look- which is what I want (sometimes). Of course there is a lot of distortion- sort of like a map with a Mercator projection.

But, if I upload it to Vimeo or YouTube- they'll recognize that it's a 360 video and show it that way. I don't know any way to have them NOT see it as a 360 video.

There must be some way to do this.

Joe Zorzin
optodata,

Thanks for your suggestion but I kinda dislike messing with files. Since you were able to do it- I can't understand why PD can't incoroporate that into the program so we don't have to mess with the files.
I currently have PD-17. The camera I use the most is an Insta360 1X, which is a 360 deg camera.

The camera can record at 5.7K.

PD-17 can only render to 4K. Some users, as I found in these forums, have developed work arounds but a bit too complicated for me. So, I'm wondering if PD 19 and/or 365 can render a 5.7K video.

I see on YouTube a number of channels where the videographer uses the same camera and renders to 5.7K but they're using Premier.

I'll spring for an upgrade to PD19 or 365 if it can do this- otherwise, I'll have to abandon PD and move to Premier. I like PD though so I hope I don't have to make that move- which will be more expensive than upgrading PD.

optodata,

I just read that other thread. I'm very impressed! Hopefully, PD will evolve to handle 5.7K video directly without all the extra work. I'm planning on purchasing the Insta360 One X so I'm studying all the issues first. I just installed PD17.
Joe

After much experimenting with the One X and PD17, here's my typical work flow.

• film in 5.7K

• export in 5.7K to .mp4

• import into PD17

• load as a 2D mostly in little planet mode

• edit

• export as a HD

• upload to Vimeo

This works for me. I'm having a blast with little planet videos. I don't care if few people "get it". Most people who view my little planet videos think I'm nuts since they've never seen such videos before. Here's one that did get some attention- me walking along a stream with lots of waterfalls in central Massachusetts: https://vimeo.com/333618550

Looks kinda trippy- which is what I want - the more trippy the better. Brings back memories of the '60s.
Joe
Quote Hi,

I am an owner of the Insta 360 One X camera and can tell that Powerdirector is perfectly capable of editing the footage. Of course optodata is correct in saying that you need to convert the .insv videos to MP4 before editing with PD (the stitching proces). But after that you can import the video directly in Powerdirector and do the edit you want. There is no need to make a custom profile.

I know from a colleague that Powerdirector is even easier at the moment than Adobe Premiere when it comes to making a 2D video out of 360 degrees footage (wich I do most of the time).

The application of Insta 360 itself has had a great upgrade in the meantime and is now also capable of editing the footage besides the stitching proces.

Hope this helps!

Roene,

I now have the One X and having fun with it. You're right that you we don't need to make a custom profile but it apparently is necessary for PD17 to produce a 5.7K file. It would be nice if Cyberlink would upgrade PD to do this.

I also now have an i-Pad. Without a mobile, you can't set the timer for a photo with the One X to more than 10 seconds. The i-Pad does offer a way of editing a bit different from PD using the mobile Studio program - especially for those of us not familiar with Apple products. When looking at a 5.7K file on the i-Pad, I can edit it smootly- but on my fairly powerful Dell desktop- the Dell struggles to edit that 5.7 file even if I have the preview window set to HD. So, my solution so far is to film the video at 5.7K on the One X, then export that to a lower res- then import that into my Dell and edit with PD. On one YouTube site- somebody pointed out that if you're going to produce a HD non 360 file (overcapture)- then you will see little difference with the somewhat lower definition 360 to work with- other than while editing, you can't zoom as much because you don't have all the detail.

I'm not a video professional- just having fun and I probably don't understand this very well but I keep experimenting to learn more.
Joe
Opdodata,

The only problem with setting the res to 4K is that most or many people don't have a fast enough internet service to watch it at that res.

What I've concluded is that trying to view an uploaded true 360 is going to be a problem. But producing an "overcapture" from that video will work just fine as it can be produced at a lower res that won't choke many viewers' screens.

I think I suggested in a response to Sven- that his 360 video didn't add much to his sawing that log compared to- if it was an overcapture at a lower res and focused on the details of the sawing.

Then again, I'm a beginner at this 360 stuff so I'm probably wrong.

Joe
Sven,

I see that YouTube eventually recognized my 360.

After experimenting with uploading 360 videos and "free capture" videos- I see that the quality of the uploaded 360 videos is degraded enough that I'm not happy with them. But the free capture videos I upload are not being degraded much.

I'm thinking that there really isn't that many situations that a 360 is going to be useful compared to a carefully developed free capture.

I saw your video where you saw up an old oak log. It was 360 but if you had done it as a free capture it would have been just as informative to your audience, perhaps more so as you could "force" their attention where you want- so they don't bother looking around your property.

So, even with 5.7 K- that's barely enough to get great quality. It may look decent on your computer but once it's degraded by uploading, it's barely acceptable, to me at least. I notice on the YouTube help site- they recommend uploading much higher resolution 360 videos- I presume with very expensive, multiple lens cameras- such as those Insta360 makes.

Regardless, I really love this Insta360 One X camera. It's taking some time to get used to working with editing them.

Insta360 recently uploaded their post Beta version of Studio- which is quite nice for a basic 360 editor. Now I need to see what I can do with PD 17.

By the way, I enjoyed watching your video of sawing that log. Do you saw much wood? I'm interested because I've been a "professional forester" since 1973. Any photograph and video of anything to do with forests and forest products interests me. That in fact is my objective- to take videos of forestry work. And maybe also in some local sawmills, here in Massachusetts, USA.
Joe

Sven and Optodata,

Thanks to both of you for your advice- but I suspect my elderly somewhat damaged brain would have trouble with creating a profile even with your excellent directions. I just hope Cyberlink will do it for us in their next upgrade of V17.

By the way, I tried uploading a 360 deg file to YouTube only to find out it doesn't automatically recognize 360 files- the way Vimeo does. I'm surprised about this. Their help file gave instructions how to modify the file before uploading- but heck no- I'll stick with vimeo.

Now, here's a question. Would uploading a 5.7K or 5.2K 360 deg file to Vimeo look much better than a 4K file?

Joe
Sven,

I found your blog and saw your explanation of how to set up a new 5.7K profile. I'm very impressed that you could do it but I don't think I'm going to do it because I'd probably mess it up.

It would be nice if Cyberlink incorporated something like that in its next upgrade.

Joe
Go to: