Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
As I looked around- there are several commercial video screen capture programs- some look impressive and offer trial versions. When I finally decide why I really need this feature- then I'll decide what to buy or I'll just upgrade to 14.

In other threads which I just superficially looked at- I see quite a few complaints about 14 but that's normal with most upgrades.
Joe
Longedge, your morphing image reminds me oh so much of some days back in the '60s.

I often use the MS snipping tool which allows capturing the entire screen, just a window, or a chosen rubber banded area. Does this new feature have those options?
Joe
I wonder how well the video screen capture feature compares to similar commercial or free products?
Joe
Longedge- I like your aging photo!

I have since found out that there are many free video screen capture programs out there- so I may hold out until I try those and see what other new features are in 14.

Glad to know the upgrade is hassle free.
Joe
Going from 13 to 14- do I need to uninstall 13 first or is the install for 14 smart enough to do that for me?

Joe

PS: I'm tempted do upgrade to get the screen capture feature
The reason I am expecting to have a collection of .mov files is that I'm sending out ancient home videos to one of the firms that scans them and it appears these firms, most of them, scan to .mov files. I asked the tech at the firm- is there really much to worry about and he says no, that the security threat is overhyped.

In fact, this is what he said, "The risk from QuickTime in actuality is almost zero. Their has never been a reported computer that has been compromised in any way from this security risk.
As long as you don't use QuickTime in a web browser their is zero risk.
Use in a browser is the only theoretical risk, use in Powerdirector or any other editing program is completely safe because the QuickTime library is only used by powerdirector and has no interaction at all with the internet.

QuickTime files are superior to mp4 and are still used professionally and will remain popular for a very very long time.

We only output to QuickTime ProRes 422 .mov files for PCs and Macs. The biggest risk we see here at the studio is from clients supplying their own hard drive, now that is a real risk for viruses."

So, I decided to reinstall Quicktime- hoping that PD would once again work with .mov files, and luckily, it works.

But, regarding the security risk- I wonder if the major antivirus programs like Norton and McAfee would defend against that risk? I use both of those programs, so now I'll ask them.

Joe
Like the title of this thread says- I had heard of security problems with Quicktime so I uninstalled it. Now, PD 13 won't load .mov files. So, is there some other program or files I can install which will work with .mov files other than reinstalling Quicktime?

Joe
When I used MS Movie Maker, I also used MS Story 3 which allowed panning and zooming within a photo and which then saved that as a video file. I can't seem to figure out how to do this with PD 13.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks,
Joe
Carl, thanks for that link to the YouTube videos. I only saw one so far and it blew my mind: "Making and using frames." That one shows exactly what I'm looking for and way more.

So far, in just a few days, I'm incredibly impressed with PD.
Joe
I know that PiP means picture in picture, but I don't get what the potential is.

What I'd love to do is what I see often on the Colbert Report and John Stewart shows- where, while talking to the camera - a small video window opens up next to them with whatever funny stuff they put in it.

My thought is- I'd like to be able to give a discussion on subjects while sitting in my Lazy Boy chair in my study- while talking, a video window will open up next to me with scrolling text- it could look sort of like a blackboard with that text, scrolling or not- or that window could simply have another video illustrating what I'm talking about.

Is this possible with PD 13 Ultra? Or is my idea of what PiP is, completely wrong?

I've been reading the manual, but it's not sinking in.

Joe
This is beginning to make sense. Of course I'll experiment with all these options to find the best solutions for specific needs.
Joe
I have a GoPro silver video camera and GoPro's video program, GoPro Studio. I also recently purchased PD 13.

First of all, I'm pretty much a rank amateur with video other than I've fooled around for several years with Microsoft Movie Maker.

So, in the Studio help file, it says:

Using GoPro Studio with 3rd Party Applications
In this advanced workflow, you convert your camera source files into GoPro CineForm files, use GoPro Studio to add color effects, adjust framing and other settings, then use those same GoPro CineForm files in other 3rd party applications for further editing or processing. This workflow requires another video editing or compositing application to be installed on your computer. Some of the popular professional applications are Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer and Sony Vegas. GoPro CineForm files are also compatible with various consumer-level products, such as iMovie, Adobe Premiere Elements, Sony Movie Studio Platinum and Windows Movie Maker.
NOTE: GoPro CineForm files are saved as standard AVI and MOV files so applications that support those file formats should be able to use GoPro CineForm files.

Now, I know that I could never load those GoPro files (.mp4) into MovieMaker but they load fine in PD. I just purchased a very fast Dell- super fast with a large SSD boot drive, 24 gigs of ram, a fast video card, the fastest CPU offered by Dell, etc.

So, if PD can handle editing .mp4 files, is there any reason to follow the advice of GoPro to first convert the files their CineForm, which according to that help file are saved as AVI and MOV files?

That is, it seems my computer is plenty powerful enough to handle .mp4 files, but is there also an issue with quality, such that the quality is improved if first converted to CineForm?

Well, the following is what the Studio help file gives as a reason to first convert to CineForm.

Why Convert to the GoPro CineForm Format?
The first step in any GoPro Studio workflow is to convert your source files into the GoPro CineForm format. This is very important and there are several reasons to do this.
All consumer-level cameras and many professional-level cameras record in highly compressed video formats designed to capture large amounts of data very quickly and save that data onto an SD card or other portable media format in as small a file as possible. This is great for recording large amounts of data onto a small space, but these compression formats are not designed nor optimized for maintaining image quality during editing or color correction processes. Because these formats are so compressed, they often require an ultra powerful computer to decode (playback) the files without performance degradation (choppy playback or dropped frames).
Because of this, many professional filmmakers and consumer-level videographers use what is called a Digital Intermediate (DI). A DI is an exact copy of the data from the original video file saved in a file format that is specifically optimized for higher image quality and fast playback on modern computer systems. This makes for a much better editing experience.
The GoPro CineForm format (or codec) is the Digital Intermediate (DI) used in all GoPro Studio workflows and is one of the best in the industry—used by indie filmmakers and Hollywood studios alike. It has been standardized by SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers) as the VC-5 codec.
Ultimately, GoPro CineForm files are better for editing than camera source files. They improve on image quality and playback speed, as well as provide the Active MetadataTM architecture required to enable the real-time image development and enhancement features available in GoPro Studio’s EDIT Room.

So, as long as my computer can handle the editing and doesn't seem to be choking on the .mp4 files, I should skip first converting to CineForm? It would be nice to skip that process.
Joe
I'm fairly certain I downloaded the trial version direct from Cyberlink's web site- just to be safe. But, maybe not- anyway, no big deal- if any Cyberlink people are reading this, please be sure to not add any other software.
Joe
So, I did purchase a new Dell loaded with all the bells and whistles- a 256 G SSD, a 2 T second internal drive, 24 G of RAM, their best 24" monitor (1920x1200 res.), a 2 G video card, the i7 CPU, a Blu-ray player and W8.1. I then got a 4 T external drive.

I installed the trial version of PD 13, but, as I mentioned in a new post today, I was shocked to see that the installation without my knowledge installed Norton AV- the shortcut to that program showed up on the Desktop.

I haven't had much time to review the program- but what I saw I liked, other than the dark screens. I wish there was a way to change the overall look of the program???

I'll eventually purchase the program, but I sure hope CyberLink removes Norton from the installation, or at least make it an option.
Joe
What gives with the trial version of PD 13 installing Norton AV?? I wouldn't mind if the installation routine OFFERED to install it- but I don't recall any such offer. Since I already had another AV program installed, installing Norton AV on top it could have caused problems.
Joe
OK, I'm starting to understand this. Every time I buy a new PC, after several years of ignoring the developments, I have to struggle to catch up. So, I presume having the first option of a real 256 G boot drive and the 2nd internal drive as a data drive will greatly enhance video editing? I presume having a great deal of RAM is more important for editing speed- and I may go all the way for 24 G of RAM or maybe even 32 which is what their top of the line XPS system offers.

But, it seems like 256 G SSD for a boot drive is overkill- much if may never get used- then again, we always say that when we buy new systems and after a few years, every program needs more and more and more....
Joe
Phil, I believe my second option I mentioned is a hybrid drive though Dell doesn't call it that. That 32 G SSD cache is attached to the HHD and it's seen as a single drive by the computer, so I presume that's a hybrid drive- or, I don't have a good understanding of what a hybrid drive is. I just wonder if it would be almost as fast as the first option- given that it's much cheaper.
Joe
I haven't yet purchased PowerDirector 13 Deluxe but I will- but first I intend to purchase a new PC which will be powerful enough for editing.

The one hardware concern I have is- whether to splurge for a SSD boot drive.

It's either I get: a system with a 256 G boot drive plus a 2nd internal very large HHD

or, I get a HDD boot drive with at 32 G SSD as a cache to the HDD.

Of course the SSD boot drive will have advantages- the system will come up faster and any program will load faster- but, will the entire video editing process seem all THAT much faster?

I also intend to get at least 16 G of RAM and a fast video card. (almost certainly it'll be a Dell XPS system with Win 8.1)

I'll spend the extra $$$ if the editing experience will be significantly faster but if it's only going to be a little faster, I can save hundreds of bucks.

This posting may be in the wrong area- so I won't mind if the moderator moves it.
Joe
Go to: