Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
how to slowly auto pan/rotate a 360 photo or movie with Powerdirector 16
[Post New]
Is it possible to slowly rotate a 360 photo or a 360 video with powerdirector 16?
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Is it possible to slowly rotate a 360 photo or a 360 video with powerdirector 16?

Yes. In PowerDirector 16, there is a view designer (or view direction designer). There you can achieve rotating with keyframes.

Wait! It depends on what you want to do.

You have a 360° video or photo. Load it and PD16 will ask, what you want do do. 360° project or 2D project.

360° project: You cannot rotate the video automatically. you can choose the starting 360° view, but not with keyframes or so. Its just the starting point. You can choose the view by dragging the video with the mouse. Thats the way, 360° videos work.

2D project: Here you can rotate the viodeo/photo with the view direction designer, as told above. Thats because in 2D video, you can only look in one direction. So view angle horizontally, vertically and the zoom factor of that view can be choosen.

Hatti

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 24. 2017 12:30

Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
[Post New]
Quote Is it possible to slowly rotate a 360 photo or a 360 video with powerdirector 16?

Yes. In PowerDirector 16, there is a view designer (or view direction designer). There you can achieve rotating with keyframes.

Wait! It depends on what you want to do.

You have a 360° video or photo. Load it and PD16 will ask, what you want do do. 360° project or 2D project.

360° project: You cannot rotate the video automatically. you can choose the starting 360° view, but not with keyframes or so. Its just the starting point. You can choose the view by dragging the video with the mouse. Thats the way, 360° videos work.

2D project: Here you can rotate the viodeo/photo with the view direction designer, as told above. Thats because in 2D video, you can only look in one direction. So view angle horizontally, vertically and the zoom factor of that view can be choosen.

Hatti

Hatti, Thanks for your quick response. I was just wondering how this guy did the panning (see link below)?. It is much more dynamic this way. It is a video from the original Cyberlink channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCJPjERm3M
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]

Hatti, Thanks for your quick response. I was just wondering how this guy did the panning (see link below)?. It is much more dynamic this way. It is a video from the original Cyberlink channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCJPjERm3M

I really do not know. The speed is either from a time laps footage or from speeding up the video (PD16 can do that). But the panning itself? I don't know. I could not find a way to achieve that effect in PD16. The only way I can imagine is the rotating of the camera itself on a rotating tripod.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi dijkx -

I wasn't there (obviously), but the original 360° videos/timelapse sequences could have been shot from a tripod with a rotation pan head like this or these

If that's the case, the pan motion is recorded in the video/timelapse rather than being edited in.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi dijkx -

I wasn't there (obviously), but the original 360° videos/timelapse sequences could have been shot from a tripod with a rotation pan head like this or these

If that's the case, the pan motion is recorded in the video/timelapse rather than being edited in.

Cheers - Tony

I'd put my money on this is how it was done.

Interresting. I never thought of doing this. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
[Post New]
Quote Hi dijkx -

Cheers - Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your reply. That must be the way it's done. Would be nice though if Cyberlink implemented this feature in the next update.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Did you guys watch the last webinar? It has some good information on 360 videos and images. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
Quote Did you guys watch the last webinar? It has some good information on 360 videos and images.

Yes I did, its a good one, but not explaining the panning thing frown
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]

Yes I did, its a good one, but not explaining the panning thing frown

Similar to what the GoPro Fusion calls "overcapture"? With it- you can pan/zoom/tilt within your 360 video any way you like- then save that. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9lUDz2eeCw

Joe
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi JoeZ99 -

Did you notice the opening statement in the VO? "Overcapture is when you reframe 360 content & save it as a traditional fixed perspective video or photo."

Even though PDR's View Designer doesn't function the same way as the GoPro app on a mobile device BUT then end result is the same.

i.e. the editor sets the view angles, zooms & pans throughout the video and saves it as a standard video where the viewer annot manipulate the view like a 360° video.

The GoPro app is recording a screen capture and creating a completely new video. PDR is using the original footage to change the view, then that's produced as a standard 16:9 video.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!