Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD13, can it handle XAVC S codec?
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
I'm planning on purchasing a Sony AX53. It's UHD video is recorded as XAVC S codec. Can PD 13 handle it?

Joe
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm planning on purchasing a Sony AX53. It's UHD video is recorded as XAVC S codec. Can PD 13 handle it?

Joe

I use XAVC S on a fairly regular basis and I have never had a problem with it playing in PD. The downside is, if there is one, when it comes to production only MP4 is available.

I hope this helps you

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Shadowman, my knowledge of video file types is still weak- when you say output can only be .mp4, if I recorded to that file type and want UHD output, will the .mp4 be UHD? I realize that most people will output to HD.

Though I don't have a UHD TV, I've seen work done by others with a 4K camera, then converted to HD and uploaded to YouTube. The result was fantastic.

Would there be any advantage in this regard to updating my PD to the latest version?

Joe
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Shadowman, my knowledge of video file types is still weak- when you say output can only be .mp4, if I recorded to that file type and want UHD output, will the .mp4 be UHD? I realize that most people will output to HD.

Though I don't have a UHD TV, I've seen work done by others with a 4K camera, then converted to HD and uploaded to YouTube. The result was fantastic.

Would there be any advantage in this regard to updating my PD to the latest version?

Joe

If you produce using, say, H264 AVC you get the choice of producing to MTS or MP4 and MKV, but with XAVC S you only have one choice and that is MP4.

What I do is, film in 4K, and produce the 4K version at 3840x2160 MP4 to my storage drive for when I get a 4K media player. So I can watch the films on my present TV using my 1920x1080 media player I produce the same PDS file again, but this time to 1920x1080 MP4. In effect you have two copies of the same film, but produced at different resolutions

You will find that .MP4 will be fine, both for 4K production and 1920x1080. The quality will be excellent.

So far as upgrading is concerned, It very much depends on what bells and whistles you want from your NLE, personally, I am very happy with PD 13. See how you get on with your present version and make a decision later. However, it's a fair bet that PD (any version) will struggle with 4K. You may need to use shadow files or even better try this: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46177.page I use it and it's great.

I hope this helps you

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21. 2016 12:56

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,