Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
buying 4k camcorder- I think my PC is powerful enough for 4k
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
I'm close to buying a Sony AX53 which can record at 4K. I have PD 13 Ultra. I think my Dell is powerful enough to edit 4K.

It's a Dell XP 8700 64 bit purchased in 2014 running W8.1. It has a 4th generation Intel Core i7-4790 processor; 24 GBs of ram, a 512 GB SSD boot drive, a 2 TB 2nd internal drive and a 4 TB external drive. It has a very nice Dell U2412M monitor with 1920x1200 resolution and a 2 GB Radion video card. I don't intend to render 4K video but to recorder it that way and render to HD, for uploading to Vimeo.

I have no trouble working with HD files including very large .mov files I got after sending out old home movies to a firm which scanned them. I can view the .mov files with Quicktime with no trouble at all.

With 4K, I don't know what the file types best to record on the Sony AX53 I intend to buy soon. But I'll figure that out. I just want to be sure that my Dell will be able to edit 4K files.

Joe

PS: I've seen some videos a friend did in 4K which he rendered to HD and uploaded to YouTube. I was blown away at the quality. He has an much more expensive camcorder but I don't think that's what made the difference- it was recording in 4K and rendering down to HD. A neat trick.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Should be fine. Frame rate also matters, but you should be able to handle at least 30 fps and probably 60. My camera will only shoot 15 fps at 4k, so maybe someone else can check in and give you more details. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
If you are shooting 4K your machine should handle it well as Jaime-esque suggests.

Editing with PD or any other NLE may be a different matter. Be prepared to have to use shadow files or another program such as Magic+PD. I am pretty sure that you will experience stuttering and jumping on the timeline if you don't use shadow files or similar.

Don't let this put you off working in 4K as the difference makes the extra hassle worthwhile.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 08. 2016 11:38

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,