CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
360 video with PD17- which video camera most compatible, GoPro Fusion or Insta360 One X
Reply to this topic
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
Newbie Private Message Joined: Oct 12, 2014 08:05 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
360 video with PD17- which video camera most compatible, GoPro Fusion or Insta360 One X?

I have PD16 and I'm very happy with it- editing video from my old Cannon HV20 camcorder and a GoPro Hero 3.

But now I'm excited about 360 video. I can't seem to get a good sense of how good PD17 will be working with 360 videos.

I've read a lot about both video cameras- their positives and negatives.

The Fusion requires a very powerful computer. I think mine can handle it. It comes with Fusion Studio for your desktop and a phone applet. I've found some YouTube videos of Fusion 360 videos and the producers mention other video editing software- but not PD. The Fusion files are slow to move to your computer and rendering is slow on the other mentioned editing programs.

The Insta360 One X is a highly rated camera- it doesn't require as much memory and rendering is faster. It comes with an applet for your smart phone, but unfortunately, I don't have smart phone.

I've spent a lot of time to make a decision but I can't find clear evidence of what to do. I'd like to upgrade my PD16 to PD17 if it's as good as other brand editing programs for editing 360 videos- from either of those 2 cameras. In particular, I like "tiney planet" videos- so it will be critical that I can edit those on PD17, if possible.

And, any suggestions of which of the 2 cameras is most compatible with PD17 will be appreciated.

Joe
optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 2166 Online
[Post New]
There do seem to be a lot of things to consider here.

First is what I'd call "direct compatibility," which means you need to look at all the steps (if any) that are required to get the clip into PD. As I wrote in this post about the Insta360 One X, you'll defintley need to convert all the .insv videos to MP4 before PD can work with them.

Another issue is the very high video resolution.

Out of the box, PD can't produce to anything above 4k, but you can create a custom profile to match the 5.2k or 5.7k of your camera's clips, as detailed in the post about the GoPro Fusion here. That post also mentions that conversion is needed because PD doesn't support the CineForm codec. I used free 3rd party tools for the conversion, but GoPro's studio may also offer a built-in way to convert the clips.

Form my limited experience, it looks like both cameras require a conversion step, both require you to create a custom produce profile to match the highest resolution of your input (although recording at higher frame rates in the camera reduces the video resolution to 4k or below), and both require a very fast machine to do any serious editing.

You will almost certainly need to use shadow files, or convert to a lossless AVI format (which takes up a LOT of disk space). The GoPro post above has more details on that option.

Maybe other people who have either camera can comment, but if those requirements are pretty much equal, it seems like the ultimate choice is going to be more about your personal preferences than PD's limits.
youtube/optodata

Director Suite 365 | Win10 Pro | Core i7-4770K (o'ck to 4.3GHz) | GTX 780Ti | nVidia 411.70 | ASUS Z87 DX/QUAD | 5.4TB SSDs | 23TB HDDs | 32GB RAM | (12GB RAMDrive)
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
optodata,

Thanks for that detailed response.

Now I'm wondering if another video editor might be better for 360 video.

One that is capable of working with these larger files seamlessly.

Joe

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 09. 2018 06:01

optodata
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 2166 Online
[Post New]
That's obviously going to be your call, but I'm not sure what you mean by "seamlessly."

PD will certainly work with clips from either camera, and I gave you the ground truth about what steps will be needed. For example, setting up a new produce profile is something you'll definitely need to do, but it only takes a couple minutes and you'll only need to do that once.

I think you'll need to convert/export clips to work with almost every editor, although the InstaOne website shows a "PR Plugin" that apparently lets Adobe directly import the camera clips.

Regardless of which editor you choose, my advice is to be aware that there are often some required steps that don't always get mentioned in the marketing materials, and going to user forums will probably get you better answers.

Good luck with your search
youtube/optodata

Director Suite 365 | Win10 Pro | Core i7-4770K (o'ck to 4.3GHz) | GTX 780Ti | nVidia 411.70 | ASUS Z87 DX/QUAD | 5.4TB SSDs | 23TB HDDs | 32GB RAM | (12GB RAMDrive)
JoeZ99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, just keeping this thread going because of my continued confusion.

Since I don't have a smart phone- I can't use the available apps both cameras have. Both also have computer apps. I just read that the computer app for the Insta360 one X is not as good as the phone app. I'm not sure about Fusion Studio- but I do have the GoPro Studio which I used for awhile until I got the hang of my PD13- now I don't need the Studio program.

So, if I just gave up the idea of an app from those companies on my computer- and just brought the files (for either camera) directly into PD17- I presume I could do anything otherwise done in those apps and much more. So, I should have no concern about those apps?

Looking on YouTube- I found a great channel by a guy who really knows 360 consumer/prosumer cameras, Ben Claremont. His channel is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAjSHLRJcDfhDSu7WRpOu-w. He knows the cameras and makes exciting videos- a very talented guy. I asked what video editor he uses and it's Premier. I suspect Premier is not very different from PD. So, my best bet is to upgrade to PD17 and use it- rather than switch to Premier. I believe there's also a Cyberlink channel on YouTube which I've looked at in the past and liked it very much. So, I'll check that out again.

When I shop- I can't afford to have buyer's regret so I go back and forth for a long time with the products.

By the way, Ben Claremont seems to prefer the Insta360 one X over the Fusion.

Joe
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Since I don't have a smart phone- I can't use the available apps both cameras have.

Those aren't needed when editing on your computer.

Quote Both also have computer apps. I just read that the computer app for the Insta360 one X is not as good as the phone app. I'm not sure about Fusion Studio- but I do have the GoPro Studio which I used for awhile until I got the hang of my PD13- now I don't need the Studio program.

So, if I just gave up the idea of an app from those companies on my computer- and just brought the files (for either camera) directly into PD17- I presume I could do anything otherwise done in those apps and much more. So, I should have no concern about those apps?

As I wrote in my initial response, you HAVE to convert the raw files from either camera before PD can read them, and often the best way to do that is to use the PC apps that come with the camera. I doesn't matter how "good" someone else thinks the apps are, you're only going to use them to convert your clips, not edit with them.

There are also free and paid 3rd party converters that you can use if you really don't like the official apps. Handbrake and VirtualDub2 are both free, so check them out to see if you like one or the other better.
youtube/optodata

Reply to this topic