Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hey, guys, fairly new member to the forum here. I have recently installed PD11 Ultimate, coming from PD9, and I'm having trouble with SmartSound files. This could get a little long winded but I just want you to know exactly what I'm doing.

I bring my video clips into the editor. Cut and move around as needed. Once I have everything where I want it then it's time to set music to it. I mute all the audio on the video clips. I then open SmartSound, find my music, set the time limit, and drag it down into the audio track. Now, I do a preview to make sure the music stops exactly when I want it to. It's fine. After watching it through once I get to see if there are any more edits that need to be done. So I go back to the video clips, edit what needs to be edited....whether that is adding a title or cutting something out, then I go back to the beginning and watch it over to see if the changes I made turned out the way I had hoped. This time around, the SmartSound music doesn't play. I've found that if I drag that SS clip up into the VoiceOver room it will play with the video. Then, when I check to see if it's still going, the music doesn't work. So I drag it back into the audio track and it works fine. Then the process repeats itself. It's not really anything other than an inconvenience but it didn't happen like that in PD9. The videos on this channel are short, usually around a minute, silent comedy. The stopping time of the music is integral to the punchline so, as you can imagine, I listen over and over and over to make sure it's right. Any thoughts on this? I can actually make a video showing exactly what is happening if you'd like. Again, the music plays, I just have to drag it back and forth between the audio and voice over tracks for it to work each time.
Thanks in advance,
MULLY
Welcome to the club. The one thing that stood out to me about PD when I first started many years ago was that it has the tools to do some amazing things yet you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Here's to many hours stuck in front of a computer editing videos.
MULLY
This is going to sound a little crazy but, when the music won't play, drag it up to the track that has the little microphone and see if it plays then. If it does, what is most likely going to happen is it will play that one time then not play the next. If it doesn't, drag it back down to the music track. I'm having that problem with PD11 at the moment. I have to drag the music back and forth between those two tracks. Sorry that I don't have an answer that will solve the problem but if this works for you at least you have a temporary patch to get your work going.
MULLY
I have a 21.5in iMac bought in mid 2011. I bought it new and upgraded everything to the highest specs I could get. I partitioned off 400GB to install Windows 7 Ultimate. The Windows partition is used exclusively for running Power Director, nothing else. Only website that gets opened is YouTube so I can upload. I installed PD9 on it at the time and it ran like a dog on there. I have no idea why. My wife's laptop, a cheap 400 dollar off the shelf model runs everything just fine....and I'm using PD11 on it right now. Haven't installed 11 on the iMac yet....maybe sometime this week. We'll see how it goes.
MULLY
I've just moved up from PD9 to PD11 and I'm having major problems with audio in 11. I'll have my clips edited, go to Smart Sound and get the music I need, put it in the music track, watch the preview and it plays fine. Watch the preview again and the music is totally gone. I can get the music to play each time if I move it between the music track and the track with the microphone on it, sorry, I don't have the software in front of me at the moment to get the exact name. Anyway, that is extremely irritating because the videos that I make, the timing of the music is extremely critical to the punch line so I need to review it quite a few times to make sure it's right.
MULLY
The problem isn't with your settings. I've rendered things out in every way that PD offers. mpeg4 seems to give the best quality.....back to why I said it's not your settings. Once you upload to YouTube it gets compressed so much that you're not going to get really high quality 1080p, super clear like TV, quality. To be honest, 720p is perfectly fine for YouTube. Hope that helps.
MULLY
Wow, those pics are amazing. Now, with the surfing one, is it possible to go in and get rid of the black edge on the wave that was left over?
MULLY
Hi, guys, my name is MULLY. I've just been included in the Cyberlink MVP program. I'm a US citizen but I have been living in Japan since 1991. I started making videos on YouTube a few years ago and had no idea how to use editing software. My friend suggested PD8 so I downloaded the trial version. My very first video on YouTube was a total fluke that went viral and ended up winning the Video Of The Year Award from YouTube Japan. Trust me, it was a fluke and a half. haha!! Funny thing is that when you watch that video there is a watermark at the beginning that says "Cyberlink PowerDirector Trial Version" haha!! Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself to the group here and say that I'll be in and out of here and I hope that I can be of assistance and especially hope that I can grab some tips from you guys. My profile is now up on the Cyberlink MVP page so I hope you guys check it out. I also hope that you guys check out my channels on YouTube and subscribe. My main channel, where the video of the year is, is just a vlogging channel for me. I sometimes use PD11 but I mostly upload direct from my phone or do quick edits in iMovie. My other channel though is edited entirely with PowerDirector. The videos on that channel are my attempt at skit comedy. The theme of the channel is things in life that suck. All videos are around 1 minute long and have almost no dialog other than me saying "That sucks". My goal for this channel is for anyone from any country to be able to watch and laugh without having to understand English. I hope you guys check it out, subscribe, and pass it along to friends. Looking forward to meeting all you guys and gals on this forum.
MULLY

Video of the Year 97,000 Toothpicks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNuOa1cZWiE

Comedy Channel edited with PD9 and now PD11
http://www.youtube.com/thingzthatsuck
Have you put it on the DVD or just looking at it on the preview? The preview is much lower quality than the output. If it's coming out on the DVD like that then I'm lost. I've never had that problem.
MULLY
What kind of effects are you looking for? Like bombs exploding etc...?
MULLY
These manuals are available on Cyberlink's site

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector-ultra/userguide_en_US.html

Hope this helps.
MULLY
I'm assuming you're talking about a DVD menu from the templates?
MULLY
I did some searching around the forum here and found this thread

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30/23533.page#127342

Not sure if it will help you or not, but again, never hurts to give it a shot.
MULLY
BTW, I'm in Japan so if I have any problems I would contact customer support here. Unfortunately their support is in Japanese.
MULLY
I honestly have no idea if they'll respond or not. I've only contacted them a few times over the years and never had a problem. I wonder if ver.11 has solved the crashing problem? I just upgraded to 11 from 9 and haven't used it enough yet to bring out any problems. Fingers crossed.
MULLY
I wonder about shutting down things that are running in the background??
MULLY
Sorry that didn't help. It was worth a try. I haven't had any crashing problems yet with 11 and my notebook is way inferior to yours. I consistently get a warning message that my CPU is being overworked but haven't had any crashes. I hope you can find an answer for this. Sorry again that my advice was a dead end.
MULLY
Hi, Crossfade6.
I'd like to reiterate what BarryTheCrab said above. After you are finished with all of your edits hit the produce button then you can choose whichever format you wish to render it to. Personally, I render everything to MP4 as it seems to give the best quality, not to mention you can easily send an MP4 to someone that is on a Mac and they won't have to convert it.
Happy New Year,
MULLY
P.S. Love the avatar. Scotty was always my favorite.
Put your clip in the timeline

Select it

Choose Fix/Enhance and there should be lighting options in there for you to play around with.

It's either in the Fix Enhance or Modify section. I don't have the software in front of me at the moment.

Hope this helps!!
MULLY
Hi, Lars, this may not be the answer you're looking for but I find that when I allow my hard drive to fill up quite a bit that my system crashes too. If you have a lot of video stored on your computer, especially in the output files of PD, I'd move all that stuff to an external drive.....or delete it if you don't really need it. See if that helps any.
MULLY
I am running both versions on my computer with not too many problems. One thing I have noticed is that SmartSound music options are completely blank in 9. It's fine in 11 though. Sorry I can't help you with your computer specs. I will say this though, if 11 is running fine on your current set up, no crashes etc..., then I wouldn't worry about it. On my notebook I always get a message saying that the CPU is working overtime, but I haven't really had any problems because of that though.
Good luck!!
MULLY
Go to: