Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SMART SOUND MUSIC does not work
Rosario56 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Italy Joined: Jan 23, 2012 04:15 Messages: 44 Offline
[Post New]
Hallo all,

I'm trying to use Smart Sound music with PD10 Ultimate, I had never used it till now.
I chose the musical clip, then I put it on the timeline, it's OK, it works, then I drag it to adjust his duration
on the timeline and the clip no longer works!! I' ve contacted Smart Sound support , I've uninstalled and reinstalled
Smart Sound and Power Director 10 with no results. I've contacted PD support with 2 mails with no answers....
My PC is an i7 Sandy Bridge with chipset b3, 8 Gb ram cl7, 2 Tb WD Hdds Asus GTX460, W7 64.
I've upgraded the software till the last 2231 version.
It seems like the software don't resets-recalculate the music when the clip is dragged. If I change the
project aspect from 4:3 to 16:9 and vice versa the clip becomes again udible. I work on 4:3 projects to copy in DVD format my old SVHS tapes captured in DV avi By Canopus ADVC 300 (pal system)
excuse me for my english I live in Italy.
Wait for Your advices, thanks

Rosario
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
No one helps me!!!!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Ciao Rosario -

I use SmartSound music a lot and I have experienced the same thing you're describing. The audio will play in the timeline at first , then stop after a change is made.

It's a difficult problem because it happens randomly, so I don't think there's one single cause (that I can see).

Sometimes switching form Movie mode to Clip mode helps. Sometimes, PD has to be closed down & re-opened to restore the audio.

Maybe that's why members haven't responded to your question yet.

The music is always present in the produced file - it'd just timeline playback that sometimes misbehaves.

Sorry - that doesn't help you because I have no solution for the issue... except to make sure you're using the latest version of QuickTime & audio drivers.

From SmartSound http://www.smartsound.com/support/link.php?action=detail&id=111

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank You Toni,

I suspected it was so, but my regret is that in previous versions of PD Magic Music was fine.... in every version!

Cyberlink support answered me just yesterday: it said that terms of use of magic music is only 30 secs!!! but where is written???
Why there's not any warning message in the software??? I don't believe in what they said!

Patience I will make them less.... but is not correct! Already there was less tracks than in other versions of the software....if they are also unusable we are good!!

regards
Rosario
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Rosario -

Perhaps there has been a misunderstanding because of language??? There is NO 30 second limit on SmartSound/Magic Music. I'm not sure where that idea came from

The only 30 second "limit" is when you download a preview for a track you don't own. Is that what CL support was talking about? It can't have been a downloaded preview track you were having problems with - previews can't be added to the timeline.

The duration of SmartSound music you own can be set to whatever you wish.

Cheers - Tony
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hallo Toni,

I know that magic music is infinitely adjustable, I use Power Director from the 4 version!! But that was the answer that gave me the PD support. I tryed to reply to that answer but it was a no-reply e-mail.
only a thing...have you noted that the patch 2023 says something about free music??

Rosario
ynotfish
[Post New]
Rosario -

Build 2231 is the latest patch. 2203 only updated Freesound's "Terms of Use" - that's not going to help much!

Wish I had an answer for you.

Cheers - Tony
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hallo Toni,

Smart Sound support told me that could be also a registry problem of my machine....but I don't think that's so.
when I put the track on the timeline it works, but if i touch it to drag or if i go to do editing in other parts of the
footage the clip becomes mute (in the music room it runs with the volume to zero, but even if I get it up can not hear anything)
My version of PD is the 10 ita (I write from Italy). All programs on my machine run fine, I use all graphic software, like
Silverfast for my scanners. I think that Cyberlink sometimes is not accurate in their softwares, see how many patches are
released for any version....

Cheers Rosario.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Rosario -

The advice from SmartSound about a registry issue may be true... even though, as I said, SmartSound tracks in PD do (randomly) fail to playback. Playback of this music relies on QuickTime.

My suggestion would be to:
1. Download Revo Uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
2. If you haven't done so already, download the SS QuickTracks 5.1.8 including the common data installer -
http://www.smartsound.com/support/updates.html?product=cyberlink
3. Download the current version of QuickTime 7.7.3 - http://www.apple.com/au/quicktime/download/

4. Use Revo Uninstaller to completely remove (set registry scan to moderate):
a. QuickTime
b. SmartSound QuickTracks 5
c. SmartSound Common Data

5. Resatart your PC
6. Reinstall QuickTime & QuickTracks using your fresh installer files.

That's what I'd be doing anyway, based on advice from SmartSound support a couple of years back.

Cheers - Tony

Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Toni,

I've already done uninstalling quicktracks and reinstalling 5.1.8 with their installer (was the first SmartSound support advice) and nothing changed. I've already installed Qicktime 7.7.3 on my PC.
I only can attempt to uninstall QuickTime and reinstall it...because with the unistall-reinstall of PD10 I've not touched Quicktime....
but I think there's another reason, like when in Jan-12 I couldn't use my Avermedia Darkcrystal HD to capture in AVI 640x480 with PD because the frame rate was so variable and not fixed to the standards of PAL, and the problem was not solved, I had to buy a more expensive Canopus box. In my opinion there must be a bug on the software, perhaps the ita version...
I'll try with quicktime (but the software works fine on my PC)
I'm surprised that no one of the other experts of Cyberlink spoke on the topic.

Cheers

Rosario
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Rosario -

Unfortunately, when problems occur like this one using "normal" uninstall methods don't always work. That's why I suggested Revo Uninstaller. It clears the registry of possible issues.

I'm not a "CyberLink expert", but in my experience complete uninstalls (as I've suggested) will generally eradicate issues.

The members of this forum are just PD users, like you, with a range of experience.

I hope you're able to resolve your problem soon.

Cheers - Tony
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Toni,

I've just uninstalled and reinstalled Quicktime and like i thought nothing is changed.
I know that in this forum we are all users of the software and I appreciate all advices that they give me like You are doing now. I only want to say that You are the lonely to help me and I'm grateful to You.
I'll try the uninstaller that You say, but are You sure that no other software on my PC will be affected??

cheers Rosario
ynotfish
[Post New]
I'm sorry you've only has replies from one person. It would be better to get confirmation (or not) from other members, but I can't help that.

Rosario - I've used Revo Uninstaller for years & it's never messed up any other software. I trust it completely or I wouldn't recommend it here. When there's an issue with particular software, the process I described above will resolve it 95% of the time.

When you set the registry scan to "Moderate", suspect entries will be displayed in bold type. They're the ones to check & delete.

Cheers - Tony

Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi all,

does anyone can help me????? I uninstalled and reinstalled nVidia drivers upgrading to the last Asus release for GTX460. Nothing was changed in my problem.... on my system Smart Sound music don't run correctly...it's immpossible to adjust the duration and even more to have the correct functionality

Rosario
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I haven't a response to my issue??? No one has the same problem???
MULLY5150
Newbie Location: Shizuoka, Japan Joined: Jun 27, 2011 04:01 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
This is going to sound a little crazy but, when the music won't play, drag it up to the track that has the little microphone and see if it plays then. If it does, what is most likely going to happen is it will play that one time then not play the next. If it doesn't, drag it back down to the music track. I'm having that problem with PD11 at the moment. I have to drag the music back and forth between those two tracks. Sorry that I don't have an answer that will solve the problem but if this works for you at least you have a temporary patch to get your work going.
MULLY ...........................................................................
Check out and subscribe to the funniest channel on YouTube!!
http://www.youtube.com/thingzthatsuck

Personal vlogging channel
http://www.youtube.com/warmothstrat
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I suggest that you try Smartsound support. The guys there are very helpful.

http://www.smartsound.com/order/customerservice.html

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Carl

this is the first choice I tried to solve the problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled the tracks and their installer from Smart Sound support, by their advice. But this not solved the problem.

Hi Mully

I was tempted to buy PD11 to solve the problem but You say that PD 11 has the same issues....
ynotfish
[Post New]
Rosario -

I'm sorry you haven't been able to resolve the problem yet. As you've seen from my post above, & MULLY's, SmartSound audio can randomly not play. You are not alone with the issue.

What I sometimes do is:
1. Set the duration for the SS music
2. Select a track and insert it in (a) music track or (b) voice track
3. Adjust the duration to match the video
4. Disable all tracks except the SS music track
5. Produce to WAV or WMA format
6. Replace the SS track with the produced WAV or WMA

It looks like a bit of mucking round, & it shouldn't be necessary, but it only takes a few minutes & allows me to preview & adjust audio levels without the glitch.

Cheers - Tony
Rosario56 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Furter Experiences:

Hi Toni,

I'm trying to understand How to solve the problem and I'm doing many attemps.
I have discovered that if I use for example an mp3 track along with a Smart track if Smart drag the Smart to adjust its length, it no longer plays, as mentioned earlier, but if I go to play for a second the mp3 track then also the dragged Smart track plays

Other experience:
My manual only says to enter duration before putting the Smart track on the timeline,
but if I do it and then make other editing operations (not on the Smart track) I
obtain no sound again

Please can You say me wich is the correct way to use Smart sound tracks???
do I make some mistake?