Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Buying new notebook for Powerdirector, need your opinions
DocDaddy [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 06, 2012 13:59 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
I'm about to upgrade my old Dell M1710 to a new laptop and this will be my computer for Powerdirector. Most people, when you ask for configuration advice, think of gaming, so I'm asking you guys about which options will optimize for Powerdirector.

1. Memory: will more than 8 Gig matter? Is there an optimal amount that will be used?
2. CPU: I can get the i7-3630QM quad core, or pay an extra $140 and get the i7-3740QM quad core. Does Powerdirector 11 use the CPU enough that increase will make a difference?
3. GPU/Video card: this is the big one. I am able to get either the AMD Radeon HD 7970M or the nVidia GTX 680M. I know the program lists both of these in the program specs, but I assume one must be better than the other in terms of speed of rendering, etc. The 680M is about $300 more, but if it makes a noticeable difference I'm willing to spend it.

Thanks!
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi DocDaddy

PD uses alot of GPU unlike other NLE editing software.

My laptop specs are on my signature and my HP performs very well.

Note the more video tracks, effects, transitions etc etc you use the slower your computer becomes.

Hope this helps

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

DocDaddy [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 06, 2012 13:59 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply - good to know on the GPU. I asked Cyberlink support if the nVidia 680 gave better or less results than the 7970M from AMD, and all I got was their canned auto-reply.
[Post New]
DocDaddy...

When I was ready to buy a laptop which would handle video I did a lot of research and my head was swimming, as I'm not very technical when it comes to the hardware end of things. Then I read something that helped me tremendously.

Someone suggested that if you find a computer that's highly rated among gamers, you'll have found a computer that will handle video as well. So I went with that suggestion and found just what I needed. The computer I wanted was pricy, but I found a good used one that was well within my budget, even after paying for a square trade extended warranty which, thank goodness, I've not had to use. Buying used does have it's risk, but I couldn't have afforded my laptop otherwise. Amazon is an amazing place to buy great used hardware.

Sounds like you might have the money to have a new one put together as you will... I'm just suggesting that you don't turn down advice from gamers, even as you seek advice from the learned folks in here.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 05. 2013 00:24

Dustie
I'm still working on it....
MULLY5150
Newbie Location: Shizuoka, Japan Joined: Jun 27, 2011 04:01 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
I have a 21.5in iMac bought in mid 2011. I bought it new and upgraded everything to the highest specs I could get. I partitioned off 400GB to install Windows 7 Ultimate. The Windows partition is used exclusively for running Power Director, nothing else. Only website that gets opened is YouTube so I can upload. I installed PD9 on it at the time and it ran like a dog on there. I have no idea why. My wife's laptop, a cheap 400 dollar off the shelf model runs everything just fine....and I'm using PD11 on it right now. Haven't installed 11 on the iMac yet....maybe sometime this week. We'll see how it goes.
MULLY ...........................................................................
Check out and subscribe to the funniest channel on YouTube!!
http://www.youtube.com/thingzthatsuck

Personal vlogging channel
http://www.youtube.com/warmothstrat