Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Object removal tool - Amazing!
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Hey guys,

I just used the object removal tool in Photo Director and WOW! It is simply amazing how well it removes and then 'heals' the area where the object had been.

It's quite stunning, actually.

It's a fantastic tool. Thank you Cyberlink! ~Tom~
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
I'd second that Tom ... so easy to use compared with other 'editors'. CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
[Post New]
Tom and Ron,

Agreed. The tool does work very well, especially if you keep in mind some of the tips in this tutorial http://youtu.be/7M3wCJOs9fY

I have found that using the Content Aware Removal tool, in combination with Smart Patch, can give very satisfactory results.

How about sharing some before & after shots? I'm sure other members would enjoy seeing the fruits of your work.

PIX
[Thumb - ContentAwareRemoval.jpg]
 Filename
ContentAwareRemoval.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
457 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
610 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 01. 2013 18:10

PIX YouTube channel
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
How about sharing some before & after shots?

Well, I just used it for the first time, and one time only so far.

It is quite a simple project. But I challenge you to see any traces of the old objects (actually, the letters) in the modified photo. At least I cannot see any hint of them.

[Thumb - GCT.jpg]
 Filename
GCT.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
233 time(s)
[Thumb - GCT-1.jpg]
 Filename
GCT-1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
565 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2013 13:54

~Tom~
MULLY5150
Newbie Location: Shizuoka, Japan Joined: Jun 27, 2011 04:01 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, those pics are amazing. Now, with the surfing one, is it possible to go in and get rid of the black edge on the wave that was left over?
MULLY ...........................................................................
Check out and subscribe to the funniest channel on YouTube!!
http://www.youtube.com/thingzthatsuck

Personal vlogging channel
http://www.youtube.com/warmothstrat
[Post New]
Hello MULLY,

Yes. What I should have done in that one was to select the surfer's shadow in the first instance.

Depending on the image, "going back in" and using the Smart Patch tool can work quite well. Of course, the more you play with it, the more contrived it looks.

Here's a further modification, done with Smart Patch.

Tom,

Great job on your image. Thank you for sharing it with the forum.

PIX
[Thumb - Surf_9-1-2.jpg]
 Filename
Surf_9-1-2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
148 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
588 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 02. 2013 01:32

PIX YouTube channel
Kmot
[Post New]
In every other forum I participate in, I can post a thumbnail or larger picture. In this forum I am only aware of the 'attachment' option. How do you post the large images PIX? ~Tom~
Kmot
[Post New]
Here is my 2nd try. This one was a little more challenging than my 1st try.

For this photo I used both the Content Aware Removal and Smart Patch.

The results still blow me away!

[Thumb - P9274659.JPG]
 Filename
P9274659.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Taken aboard the "American Queen" river boat.
 Filesize
4864 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
236 time(s)
[Thumb - P9274659-1-2.jpg]
 Filename
P9274659-1-2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1759 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
240 time(s)
~Tom~
[Post New]
Hello again Tom,

Another forum member had to show me that some time back. It turned out to be not so mysterious.

NOTE: It's best to keep images under 800px wide so it doesn't mess up the page display.

1. When you reply, attach your image as you normally do
2. Click Submit
3. Back in the forum thread, right click on Download near your attachment and select Copy Link Location
- the link is copied to your clipboard

4. Click Edit
5. In your post, put the cursor where you want the image to be
6. Click on [Img] then paste the link location - now click on [Img] again

7. It will look like this

8. Click Submit (again) and you're done.

Hope that helps.

PIX
[Thumb - Copy Link.png]
 Filename
Copy Link.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
551 time(s)
[Thumb - Image.png]
 Filename
Image.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
522 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 02. 2013 03:05

PIX YouTube channel
Kmot
[Post New]
Thank you! ~Tom~
[Post New]
Well Gentlemen,

Inspired by Tom's enthusiasm, I've been having some fun manipulating images with the Content Aware Removal tool. I decided to throw the before & after shots into a short video.

One thing I discovered during my image editing was the RETRY button. I'm not saying I had any great success with it, but it may depend on the particular images being used.

I also had a bit of fun with the SFX! If you watch it on YouTube, it's in 720p. You'll be able to find my mistakes more easily!

PIX

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 03. 2013 01:47

PIX YouTube channel
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
That was an amazing demonstration Pix!!

Very entertaining to watch!!

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
RonH
Contributor Location: Norway (from Australia) Joined: Sep 05, 2011 10:13 Messages: 364 Offline
[Post New]
Good one CYa Ron (W10/i5gen8/Nvidia)
Someone famous once said: "We only have the 4th dimension of 'time' so that everything does not all happen at once"
Kmot
[Post New]
Ha Ha, very entertaining video!

~Tom~
Kmot
[Post New]
Another example. This time a working example for a model airplane club. This tool is brilliant.

[Thumb - IMG_3128-1-3 CLPD-1.jpg]
 Filename
IMG_3128-1-3 CLPD-1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
473 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
264 time(s)
[Thumb - IMG_3128 CLPD.jpg]
 Filename
IMG_3128 CLPD.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
330 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
249 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 04. 2013 11:45

~Tom~
[Post New]
Superb job, Tom.

You took care of every shadowy detail in that one. Great stuff!

Thank you everyone for the video feedback. It's appreciated.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
OK, here's one I did. The content aware object removal can sometimes produce some laughable quirks, but it does most of the work and with a little cleanup you can get decent results from surprisingly tricky photo situations.
[Thumb - SnowBlowpd4.JPG]
 Filename
SnowBlowpd4.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
321 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
189 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 09. 2013 20:12

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
[Post New]
Another fine piece of work OTW,

You're right about the little quirks!

Often when PhD calculates the background, which is quite impressive considering the speed it does it, you can see a ghost of the removed object. It depends a lot on the complexity of the background.

To someone just looking at the finished product it may not be so noticeable, but it's clear in a side-by-side comparison.

You did a great job of removing that fine looking fellow from the snow blower.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Kmot
[Post New]
Yeah, pretty good! Fooled me! ~Tom~
Alain101012 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2013 17:18 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, With the Power Director came photo director for a little extra. however, I don't have the object removal in it.. the version is photoDirector 2011... that 's the reason why ?