Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Johnny5:

There are free DVD player software programs available. Forum regulations prohibit me from mentioning specific competing products in posts on this Forum.

If you do a Google search, you will get results like this:

https://www.winxdvd.com/windows-10/top-dvd-players-for-windows-10.htm

I do have a paid version of PowerDVD17, but I also use "2." on that search list, as an alternate, because it can play some strange formats; however, it lacks many of the fine features of PowerDVD.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Johnny5:

Power2Go is a CD/DVD/BD burning application, not a CD/DVD/BD media player.

Cyberlink does have a media player: PowerDVD.

Regards,
-Phil
Cynthia12:

Welcome to the PowerDirector 16 Forum. You mention PowerDVD16, but that is an older version of their media player. If you want to create video content, then PowerDirector 16 is the program that you want.

Pinned to this Forum is a listing of Tutorials: see this link. I particularly recommend the PDToots tutorials. They are very well done and cover a wide gamut of common, and not-so-common, video editing questions.

Good luck and have fun. If you have questions and can't find the answers in the Help files or Tutorials, there are some very knowledgeable volunteers here on the Forum, who will be happy to assist you.

Regards,
-Phil
Morten Kalland:

I have never had much success with PD capturing my Hi8 and VHS video. I use a different product, and software, to capture the video as .mpeg2, which I then import into PD and can edit very successfully. The product has never complained about video noise being copyright protection, and I have captured some truly terrible VHS tape for friends and family.

Forum rules prohibit me from mentioning the product, and software because it might be construed as "competing" software, since it does include limited editing capabilities. I only use it for the video capture because PD is a far more powerful video editor. If you want more information, please send me a Private Message, and I will tell you what I have been using for years and has succcessfully captured the video from hundreds of tapes, both VHS and Hi8.

Regards,
-Phil
RonnieDP:

I can't speak to PD11, but PD 16 is supposed to directly support the import of DV-AVI files. See specs here, second from the bottom of the list of supported formats (Format and Device Support). You should be able to connect your camera to your computer and directly copy the DV-AVI files to a folder on your hard drive, and then import the DV-AVI files into PD from there, at least with PD16. It is best not to "capture" video, if you can import it directly, as there is no quality loss, which can occur during the "capture" process.

I would recommend that you check the PD11 help files or "google" the specs for PD11.

I hope that this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
RonnieDP:

I am guessing that you are trying to capture Sony Hi8 digital camcorder video. If that is not the case, ignore the rest of the message and please report back because if your video files are already in a digital format, like .m2ts or .vob, you can just import those files directly into the PD media library and proceed to edit them.

I have never had much success with PD capturing my Hi8 and VHS video. I use a different product, and software, to capture that video as .mpeg2, which I then import into PD and can edit very successfully.

Forum rules prohibit me from mentioning the product, and software because it might be construed as "competing" software, since it does include limited editing capabilities. I only use it for the video capture because PD is a far more powerful video editor. If you want more information, please send me a Private Message, and I will tell you what I have been using for years and has succcessfully captured the video from hundreds of tapes, both VHS and Hi8.

Regards,
-Phil
Photoman777:

I am guessing that there is probably some incompatability between P2G9 and the latest build of Windows 10 (1803). P2G is up to Version 12 now. When I upgraded to Windows 10 almost two years ago, I had to update a lot of my Cyberlink software because it was not compatible with Windows 10. P2G9 is getting long in the tooth, I am guessing about three years old now ...

It also might be an issue with the optical drive itself. Can you burn files using Windows 10 to optical media (CD, DVD)? If so, then the drive is not at fault. Cyberlink does have a 30-day money back guarantee, so if you were to upgrade to P2G12 and it did not resolve your problems, you could uninstall the product and request a refund.

Regards,
-Phil
Lady Fitzgerald:

PowerDVD17 just creates links to the media that it catalogues. It does not make copies of the media.

Regards,
-Phil
phanhuyen:

Welcome to the Cyberlink Forums.

My recommendation is to contact the company that manufactured your video grabber. See this link.

They may be able to provide with a download link for the installation software. If not, I would take advantage of their guarantee and return the product for a refund. There are other products that do provide software download links.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how you make out.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
amaliag 1:

You cannot register the trial version of PD16, or any trial version of PD, for that matter.

You need to uninstall the trial version, and then download the installation files for the upgraded version of PD16. You should have been sent an email with the download links.

If the download links have expired, then contact Cyberlink Technical Support and have proof of purchase ready so that they can ascertain that you have paid for the product.

Regards,
-Phil
LachlanKnt125:

Just some guesses.

Is your anti-virus Avast? The reason that I ask is that I recently worked on what was thought to be an malware-infected computer and it turned out that Avast had crippled three Cyberlink products: PowerDVD, Power2Go, and Power Director.

Even though you did a clean install of Windows, did you run a System File Checker (SFC) scan?

If that comes back clean: "no resource integrity violations found", then I would open a ticket with Cyberlink Technical Support.

Regards,
-Phil
Just a caution. Malwarebyte Premium 3.4.4. reports that it has blocked the URL, presumably because something malicious lurks there; or, it is a false postive.

The VirusTotal scan of the URL came back clean.

Stay safe in cyberspace!

Regards,
-Phil
GT534:

You are not the first to notice that .wav files are the best fit for every version of PD that I have used, since Version 9. Folks have had problems with .mp3 files in the past, and other formats, that were just fine when converted to .wav format.

So, going forward, just remember that .wav files are the most trouble-free format to use with PD. I have never had any issues with audio over the years, converting many hundreds of Hi-8 and VHS tapes using various versions of PD, but then I always ensured that the music, including SmartSound, was converted to .wav before being imported into PD. For SmartSound music, I have their SonicFire Pro product and I can produce a .wav file of the precise duration that I require for a given project. That might be "overkill", but I don't mess with what works consistently well.

I hope this helps. Have a great day, and happy editing!

Regards,
-Phil
Pete 12:

Normally, you will be offered an upgrade price to the new version of PDVD, when it is released. You cannot reuse a key for a previous version. If you don't need any of the new features, and your older version is still compatible with the version of Windows that you are running, then you don't have to pay to upgrade. You can stay with your older version.

I hope that this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
jdr1965:

You will have to wait for Cyberlink Tech Support to get back to you with a download link. This is just a user forum.

Many folks here, myself included, make copies of all installation media and licence keys and store them securely on external media to avoid these sorts of problems.

Good luck with Tech Support. Have a great weekend.

Regards,
-Phil
Dave62:

Welcome to the Cyberlink Forums.

Unfortunately you posted in the "PowerDVD 17" Forum, rather than the "PowerDirector , Previous Versions" Forum.

I have converted hundreds of VHS tapes to DVD. Like you, I found that the various versions of PD did not "like" VHS "noise" and I never could figure out a way to "tweak" PD to reliably, and accurately, render VHS video into .mpeg2 format.

I purchased a product, hardware and software, essentially to solve that issue. It produces .mpeg2 files and it has worked flawlessly for me for many years. I then use PD to edit my captured .mpeg2 files.

Due to Forum policy, I am not permitted to specify what I am using because it is a "competing" product. If you want more information on what I am using, then please send me a private message.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Dave:

Are you sure that this is a PowerDVD17 issue? You don't import video files into PowerDVD. It just plays your media. I have never known PDVD17 to change media file creation dates ... ?

You might be tallking about PowerDirector?

You could get a utility to change dates for you. See this link. Personally, I use xplorer2 as a replacement for Windows Explorer, and it has the capability to also change file attributes, including date and time. There is a free version of the program, but I do not know whether it has that capability. I use paid versions (lifetime upgrade licence) on both of my computers, to change date and time on various files on my computers. xplorer2 by Zabkat has many more features than the standard Windows File Manager. I would not be without it!

Regards,
-Phil
TweetSprings:

My understanding, which could be incorrect, is that PD generates its temporary files on the OS drive.

The simple approach would be to create a short project, as I mentioned before, with the short video clips (to ensure that none are corrupt). If that successfully can be produced, then the problem might be a lack of hard disk space.

Personally, I am not a fan of the small SSD drives because they do cause issues with software that requires lots of space. As my specs state, I broke the bank to purchase a 1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

Other than that, from what I can see in your dxdiag file, you should have more than sufficient computer horsepower to run PD13.

You could also go through the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling PD13, assuming that you saved all of the installation files to another drive or media to see if that resolves your issue. That is definitely the next step that I would take, if the short project I suggested, does not produce/burn successfully.

As I noted in my previous post, the dxdiag file is showing PD13.exe errors.

This could also be caused by incompatability with Windows 10 Home. So far I have not had issues with my PD14 Ultimate, but I expect that is only a matter of time and Windows 10 updates. When PD14 decides it is unhappy with my Windows 10 Pro, then I will have to upgrade. I have had to do that with two other Cyberlink products (Power2Go and PowerDVD) because the older versions got sideswiped by the Windows 10 version updates. The Fall Creators Update was not nice to a few of my apps and I had to upgrade.

I hope this helps. Please keep us posted. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
TweetSprings:

I took a look at your dxdiag file. I think this might be the issue ... ?

Drive: C: Free Space: 56.2 GB
Total Space: 120.8 GB
File System: NTFS

PowerDirector requires a lot of space for the temporary files it generates. Most of our contributors here recommend having at least 100 GB free on the drive on which PD is installed.

I don't think it is an issue with PD not liking short video clips. I think what is happening is that as you extended your project by adding those clips, PD just ran out of room. The event log in your dxdiag is showing PD errors.

To prove it to yourself, just create a new project with those short clips only. If PD continues to crash and burn, then the culprit might be a corrupt clip or clips. If PD does not crash, then it is likely you need to free up some space on that SSD; or, purchase a larger one.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
sarath6:

I would recommend that you post in the PowerDirector 16 Forum. This is an almost four-year old thread, relating to PD14.

There are more people in the PD16 Forum, which is what you say that you have.

Welcome to the PD Forums, by the way.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
DavidT42:

If Windows 10 was successfully activated on your computer, then you don't need to buy a copy. Microsoft will have stored your computer specs and will know that your computer is licensed for Windows 10. If you want to do a clean install, you can just download their media creation tool. See this link. With Windows 10, there are no licence keys, per se, like previous versions of Windows.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Go to: