Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Does PD13 hate short clips?
[Post New]
I'm the OP from the "48 crashes in 2 hours" thread.

I've tested PD13 again when trying to edit togther another part of my video, and that one has a few long clips, rather than many short clips.

I was able to save every 4-5 actions just fine, with a crash every 3-4 saves, until I added a short (few seconds) clip to the timeline.
After I did that, the software kept getting stuck at 20% saving chapter thumbnails. I couldn't even save once.
Does anyone here have any experience with PowerDirector hating short videoclips?

My DxDiag Mark S.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I use PD13 and I have no problems with clips of any length. I don't suffer crashes although my timeline sometimes stops responding for a while if I try to drag the scrubber too fast. That's almost certainly because my machine isn't fast enough to keep up.

I think it's safe to say that PD13 is tolerably bug-free so it must be something in your system but I'm afraid I'm not expert enough to diagnose anything from your dxdiag. Hopefully one of the real experts will chip in soon. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
TweetSprings:

I took a look at your dxdiag file. I think this might be the issue ... ?

Drive: C: Free Space: 56.2 GB
Total Space: 120.8 GB
File System: NTFS

PowerDirector requires a lot of space for the temporary files it generates. Most of our contributors here recommend having at least 100 GB free on the drive on which PD is installed.

I don't think it is an issue with PD not liking short video clips. I think what is happening is that as you extended your project by adding those clips, PD just ran out of room. The event log in your dxdiag is showing PD errors.

To prove it to yourself, just create a new project with those short clips only. If PD continues to crash and burn, then the culprit might be a corrupt clip or clips. If PD does not crash, then it is likely you need to free up some space on that SSD; or, purchase a larger one.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
[Post New]
Hi Phil! Thanks for replying laughing
I'm not sure where (or if it does at all) it says that PowerDirector is installed on my Solid State, because it is not.
I make sure to keep only critical files and Windows on there.
PD13 is installed on my other Hard Drive (D, which, at the time of writing this, has 529 out of 911 GB free.
I've made sure PD outputs to a folder on D: also.
Still, even if it was installed on C:, shouldn't 50 GB be enough for (approx.) 15 mins of video?

Tweet regarding this

Quote TweetSprings:

I took a look at your dxdiag file. I think this might be the issue ... ?

Drive: C: Free Space: 56.2 GB
Total Space: 120.8 GB
File System: NTFS

PowerDirector requires a lot of space for the temporary files it generates. Most of our contributors here recommend having at least 100 GB free on the drive on which PD is installed.

I don't think it is an issue with PD not liking short video clips. I think what is happening is that as you extended your project by adding those clips, PD just ran out of room. The event log in your dxdiag is showing PD errors.

To prove it to yourself, just create a new project with those short clips only. If PD continues to crash and burn, then the culprit might be a corrupt clip or clips. If PD does not crash, then it is likely you need to free up some space on that SSD; or, purchase a larger one.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2018 11:20

Mark S.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
TweetSprings:

My understanding, which could be incorrect, is that PD generates its temporary files on the OS drive.

The simple approach would be to create a short project, as I mentioned before, with the short video clips (to ensure that none are corrupt). If that successfully can be produced, then the problem might be a lack of hard disk space.

Personally, I am not a fan of the small SSD drives because they do cause issues with software that requires lots of space. As my specs state, I broke the bank to purchase a 1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

Other than that, from what I can see in your dxdiag file, you should have more than sufficient computer horsepower to run PD13.

You could also go through the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling PD13, assuming that you saved all of the installation files to another drive or media to see if that resolves your issue. That is definitely the next step that I would take, if the short project I suggested, does not produce/burn successfully.

As I noted in my previous post, the dxdiag file is showing PD13.exe errors.

This could also be caused by incompatability with Windows 10 Home. So far I have not had issues with my PD14 Ultimate, but I expect that is only a matter of time and Windows 10 updates. When PD14 decides it is unhappy with my Windows 10 Pro, then I will have to upgrade. I have had to do that with two other Cyberlink products (Power2Go and PowerDVD) because the older versions got sideswiped by the Windows 10 version updates. The Fall Creators Update was not nice to a few of my apps and I had to upgrade.

I hope this helps. Please keep us posted. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
[Post New]
UPDATE!

I left PD alone for a few days out of fear of breaking a keyboard or two.
Whenever I feel like it should crash or at particularly vulnerable crash-points in the past, I start recording with XSplit, and it saves properly, all the way to 100%, without crashing.
I don't know if it's because I left it alone for a while, or if it's because I'm recording it and it's the story of "it won't work when you're trying to make it work but it will when you're trying to demonstrate the problem", but it doesn't crash anymore (at least not after I've pressed record on XSplit).
I suppose that's one temporary fix, whenever it looks like it's going to crash, start recording with XSplit, then save, and it does it properly.

If I can catch it not saving properly with XSplit, I'll post it here, but it looks like if I do this kafkaesque convoluted process of opening XSplit and recording, it'll be fine!

Also, I'm not sure if this may help, but I've noticed that crashes only started happening around the month of november, or about a month after I started using PD13 daily.

In rehgards to the SSD comment, I'm editing on a laptop, and with little to no Hardware knowledge, I wouldn't want to go dig in and try to replace it. Here's the link to the laptop in question.

It is to be noted that before today, I couldn't get past 5 different short clips in the sane timeline without it crashing, even after an uninstall and a reinstall.
With this maskeshift fix, I'm at 15 right now and it's running smoothly. I'll produce when I have them all in and update the forum as to whether or not it's worked.

Quote TweetSprings:

My understanding, which could be incorrect, is that PD generates its temporary files on the OS drive.

The simple approach would be to create a short project, as I mentioned before, with the short video clips (to ensure that none are corrupt). If that successfully can be produced, then the problem might be a lack of hard disk space.

Personally, I am not a fan of the small SSD drives because they do cause issues with software that requires lots of space. As my specs state, I broke the bank to purchase a 1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

Other than that, from what I can see in your dxdiag file, you should have more than sufficient computer horsepower to run PD13.

You could also go through the hassle of uninstalling and reinstalling PD13, assuming that you saved all of the installation files to another drive or media to see if that resolves your issue. That is definitely the next step that I would take, if the short project I suggested, does not produce/burn successfully.

As I noted in my previous post, the dxdiag file is showing PD13.exe errors.

This could also be caused by incompatability with Windows 10 Home. So far I have not had issues with my PD14 Ultimate, but I expect that is only a matter of time and Windows 10 updates. When PD14 decides it is unhappy with my Windows 10 Pro, then I will have to upgrade. I have had to do that with two other Cyberlink products (Power2Go and PowerDVD) because the older versions got sideswiped by the Windows 10 version updates. The Fall Creators Update was not nice to a few of my apps and I had to upgrade.

I hope this helps. Please keep us posted. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Mark S.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've noticed that crashes only started happening around the month of november, or about a month after I started using PD13 daily.

As Phil noted noted some of his applications have been bricked by a recent Windows 10 update so that might well be one explanation. As I've mentioned many times on here I'm not a fan of automatic background updates for anything. On my Windows 7 and my applications I set to notify of updates so I can check what's being done and revert using System Restore if there are major problems. That approach seems to have worked well for me. The inability to set Windows 10 up in the same way is just one of the reasons why I've steered well clear of it.

I'm fairly sure he is right that Power Director uses the operating system drive for it's workspace, irrespective of where the application is installed and there is no way to change this. My own experience is that PD13 managed to work ok with less than 100GB of free space on this drive, although I have now increased the partition size to give more than this. I'd tend to agree with you that for the small project you're experimenting with 50GB ought to be enough. I think Cyberlink should add the facility to allow the user to define where the workspace is.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Jan 29. 2018 07:06

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
[Post New]
Okay, I've managed to catch it crashing. While recording, too! Twice!
These aren't exactly short (10 or so seconds) clips, but none of them are longer than 5-some minutes either.
Reply for any clarifications as to what I said in the video.

Quote I've noticed that crashes only started happening around the month of november, or about a month after I started using PD13 daily.

As Phil noted noted some of his applications have been bricked by a recent Windows 10 update so that might well be one explanation. As I've mentioned many times on here I'm not a fan of automatic background updates for anything. On my Windows 7 and my applications I set to notify of updates so I can check what's being done and revert using System Restore if there are major problems. That approach seems to have worked well for me. The inability to set Windows 10 up in the same way is just one of the reasons why I've steered well clear of it.

I'm fairly sure he is right that Power Director uses the operating system drive for it's workspace, irrespective of where the application is installed and there is no way to change this. My own experience is that PD13 managed to work ok with less than 100GB of free space on this drive, although I have now increased the partition size to give more than this. I'd tend to agree with you that for the small project you're experimenting with 50GB ought to be enough. I think Cyberlink should add the facility to allow the user to define where the workspace is.
Mark S.
Fenman
[Post New]
As I've said I'm no expert on Windows but from your video I'd say this isn't related to insufficient disk space, or clip size, as it doesn't crash while rendering or producing. Since it seems to be trying to launch a second instance of PD13 when you ask it to save the project it does rather suggest, as Phil said, a compatibility issue with Windows 10.

Have you considered using System Restore (I presume Windows 10 still has that facility) to roll back to a time earlier than last November, if your restore points go that far back? That might prove whether a recent update has been responsible. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
[Post New]
So, just so we're clear, the second instance is just because I've setup an instruction to launch PowerDirector whenever event 1002 (PD crash) happens, but I set it up twice on accident.

I don't have the foresight required to setup System restore points. Never have, probably never will.

Quote As I've said I'm no expert on Windows but from your video I'd say this isn't related to insufficient disk space, or clip size, as it doesn't crash while rendering or producing. Since it seems to be trying to launch a second instance of PD13 when you ask it to save the project it does rather suggest, as Phil said, a compatibility issue with Windows 10.

Have you considered using System Restore (I presume Windows 10 still has that facility) to roll back to a time earlier than last November, if your restore points go that far back? That might prove whether a recent update has been responsible.
Mark S.
Fenman
[Post New]
Ok, so you're saying the issue of concurrent sessions is a result of something you've done. Even if that was a red herring it still seems more likely the problem lies in an incompatibility with Windows that may have arisen following a recent update.

Windows should set a restore point automatically every time it installs an update so if you go into System Restore you should see a set of points going back in time. The number of points, and how far back they go, is dependant on the amount of disk space set aside for System Restore and how many have been set in the most recent past.

If you don't know much about System Restore there is some useful information here. Note that it does state that it can reverse the damage caused by a Windows update. I'd have thought it worth a try unless you're resigned to purchasing the latest version of PD. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Hatti
Contributor Location: Bonn, Germany Joined: Feb 21, 2017 15:54 Messages: 576 Offline
[Post New]
Hi.
I've seen your video on youtube and of course, it should not, but the devil is in the details.
You have a video clip with audio information an a pure audio clip. You cut both to the correct length, but then you somewhat overwrite the audio part of the video clip with your pure audio. I have never seen that.
Try:

1. cut both clips as before.

2. select the video clip, right mouse click and use "unlink video and audio".

3. select only audio part of the video clip and delete it.

4. now, "push" the pure audio part in the desired position.

5. save.

Hatti Win 10 64, i7-4790k, 32GB Ram, 256 GB SSD, SATA 2TB, SATA 4TB, NVidia GTX1080 8GB, LG 34" 4K Wide, AOC 24" 1080
[Post New]
Thanks for the advice! I'll do that in the future!

Quote Hi.
I've seen your video on youtube and of course, it should not, but the devil is in the details.
You have a video clip with audio information an a pure audio clip. You cut both to the correct length, but then you somewhat overwrite the audio part of the video clip with your pure audio. I have never seen that.
Try:

1. cut both clips as before.

2. select the video clip, right mouse click and use "unlink video and audio".

3. select only audio part of the video clip and delete it.

4. now, "push" the pure audio part in the desired position.

5. save.

Hatti
Mark S.