Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Copy protected VHS family movies?
[Post New]
How can I record my old VHS family movies recorded with a Hitachi VHS video recorder?
I use USB Plexgear Moviesaver 600 VHS.
Why does Powerdirector say that the tape is protected and stop copying it after few minutes?
This is sad. It's my video.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 08. 2018 22:39

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Try fast forwarding the tape to the end and then rewind it to see if it helps before trying to capture it again. This will even out the tension on an old tape and can help.
[Post New]
Quote Try fast forwarding the tape to the end and then rewind it to see if it helps before trying to capture it again. This will even out the tension on an old tape and can help.

Yes, I have seen that this helps, but, I forward and rewind many times before I start.
This is a strange problem. Hope it get's a solution one day. Windows 10 is not friend with the USB Grabber software. Is it a different software out there?
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]

Yes, I have seen that this helps, but, I forward and rewind many times before I start.
This is a strange problem. Hope it get's a solution one day. Windows 10 is not friend with the USB Grabber software. Is it a different software out there?

First go to the movie grabber web site and see if they have an updated driver for the grabber you have. Capture in uncompressed AVI if possible.

If the tapes are in bad enough condition, you will get the copyright error. The signal mimincs the copyright protection present on some old commercial videos. There is no way to capture the tapes if they are in bad enough condition. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Is it possible that you have removed the copy protection tab from the back of the cassette? If so, stick some tape over it. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Morten Kalland:

I have never had much success with PD capturing my Hi8 and VHS video. I use a different product, and software, to capture the video as .mpeg2, which I then import into PD and can edit very successfully. The product has never complained about video noise being copyright protection, and I have captured some truly terrible VHS tape for friends and family.

Forum rules prohibit me from mentioning the product, and software because it might be construed as "competing" software, since it does include limited editing capabilities. I only use it for the video capture because PD is a far more powerful video editor. If you want more information, please send me a Private Message, and I will tell you what I have been using for years and has succcessfully captured the video from hundreds of tapes, both VHS and Hi8.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I believe that you will get the best answer by asking garich7 in a pm. If you want the best and money is of no concern then follow Barry’s link to do the job well: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/76402.page . I would suggest another route to save you a few dollars but since you live in Sweden I am not sure that you can buy an American product cheaply that will do the job.
[Post New]
Morten Kalland,

I never seemed to get anything useful out of VHS capture hardware until I tried playing back tapes in the original camcorder and feeding the signal into a DVD recorder. The files on the recorded disk seemed of much better quality than the original VHS and SVHS recordings.

I tried using a similar method with some copyrighted tapes (allegedly) and confirmed their anti-piracy still worked quite well. Good job the images played back from the commercially-produced VHS were so incredibly bad as to discourage further effort.

In the past, when desperate, I have pointed my camera (in a darkened room) and recorded pictures direct from a tv, whilst using an audio cable to record rhe sound. Not a method for purists, but it got me what I needed.

If you, however, have no means of playing back your precious VHS, then I fear you are trying to re-incarnate rather than re-encode.
Good Luck with that one... Applause is easy to get. Ask yourself if you worked enough for it to be an honourable exchange of gifts.