Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Anyone experiencing the same behaviour?
I'd like to know if it's confirmed as a bug, and if there is a workaround to still use the TV mode, which I prefer?
Hi,
so I tried this:

• swtich to PC mode

• enable True Theater in Smart Enhancement

• switch to Advanced Enhancement, untick HDR, then untick Video Enhancement completely

• Play a full HD BR in PC mode => all is fine, screen does not switch to 4k or to HDR

• Switch to TV mode, confirm Video Enhancement setting is at 0%, play same BD => screen switches to 4k and HDR

I suspect that setting the video enhancement to 0% is not the same as disabling it. It still triggers the switch to 4k / HDR, which may be necessary to enable PDVD enhancements to work. And in TV mode there is a way to set 0%, but no way to disable.

In addition, when enabling Video Enhancement top level setting in Advanced, but unticking all tick box underneath it, if I switch to Smart and come back to Advanced, they're ticked again. But in any case, in order to avoid this unwanted switch to 4k HDR, I need to untick the top level Video Enhancement setting, it is not enough to untick all tickboxes underneath.
Quote How about try the following trick?
1. Go to PC mode, tick TrueTheater video, and then switch to Advanced Enhancment tab.
2. Un-tick the TrueTheater HDR feature specifically first, and then un-tick the TrueTheater video enhancment completely.
3. Go to TV mode, play BD and adjust the TrueTheater video enhancment to 0% (= disable it).

Thanks QC for your help. I beleive I've tried this already but I'll try again tonight.
Thanks for your answer.

Let me add some specifics:
My Windows is set in 1080p with HDR turned off in Windows by default. I don't have that many UHD files to keep it turned on all the time.

When launching an UHD Blu-Ray, PDVD will switch resolution to 4k (2160p) AND will turn HDR on, which is fine.

When launching a FHD Blu-Ray:

• if in PC mode, with all true theater video enhancements unticked, it will not change anything.

• if in TV mode, or if in PC mode with one of the video enhancement ticked (even if slider is at 0), it will again switch to 4k AND turn HDR on.

It's that second item that bothers me - I would wish TV mode not to auto-switch to 4k and to HDR when I start a normal blu-ray.
Hi,

I have an issue with PDVD 18: when running in TV mode, it will always switch to 4k HDR, even if I launch a full HD Blu-Ray.
This also happens in PC mode when the true theater enhacement is ticked (even if all cursors are set to 0) but does not when it's unticcked (it will remain in 1080p23).

I suspect it's because of the TrueTheater setting, in TV mode, can be set to 0, but cannot be unticked.
Is there a way to disable it completely, and leave the resolution to 1080p23, except when launching a 4k HDR movie?

The consequence is that I have to run it in PC Mode, which bothers me because in this mode, sometimes the mouse appears and will stay on screen until I move it.
Yes I second Michael's comment - there is a difference between "lossless" and "uncompressed".
Lossless means that, even if compressed, when you uncompress, you get an exact copy of the initial data.

Zip for example is a lossless, yet compressed, format - unzipping will get you an exact copy of the original file.

PNG is lossless, whereas JPG is lossy. But PNG is still smaller than the original bitmap, because it's compressed.

And indeed, Dolby Digital and DTS are lossy compression formats, DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD are lossless, but yet compressed, audio formats. There are few blu ray titles with fully uncompressed audio - but you won't get any better sound.

So Mr SoulIntake, before trying to teach everybody lessons, please first get it right.
Hi Michael,
Just to confirm that I did contact CS, and they provided me a download link for the PDVD12 upgrade (from 11/10/9).
So I was able to install it, and activate it.
Thanks for this.

However, I'll continue to think that the current policy is not very convenient for users - I'm talking about the 2 aspects of it:
1/ the upgrade, forcing you to have an existing version activated before installing the new one (we all constantly reinstall our HTPCs from scratch...)
2/ the fact that you can't download simply the trial version, and then enter your key to activate it
OK - so I tried to install PDVD11, entered my PDVD11 key, and then tried to upgrade to PDVD12 - all the installers I have (I have plenty...) are either patches (you need to have a registered version of PDVD12 installed to use this patch), or trials. I can't find back the installer that allowed me once to install PDVD12 (with the key) on top of PDVD11. Probably I have not kept it?
And PDVD11 does not work right under Windows 8 - the MediaCenter plugin is not showing up.

Again, I know it's the policy. But it's been a number of posts where paying users ask to change this policy. Most of the SW I know provide a full, latest installer, that allows trial, and can be turned to registered when user enter the license key.

It's time again for me to look for an alternative - I have my HTPC without blu ray SW.
Quote: when purchasing the upgrade you receive a download and key for the upgrade version of PowerDVD 12 that needs a qualified version installed.

Thanks - but again, I know that and that this is the policy at Cyberlink.
Another one being that the trial version is just a trial, and that you cannot just enter your product key in it once the trial is over and you've made the purchase - you have to uninstall and reinstall the full version.

I'm just saying that, in case where, like what happened to me, you're upgrading your PC to a new OS, and need to redo an install from scratch, it's really inconvenient (and in some case impossible) to have your qualified version (say PDVD9) installed before upgrading to PDVD12.

But still - I'll try, installing PDVD11 for which I have a "full key" (hoping it will work on Windows , and on top of it, install just the latest upgrade of PDVD12. If it does not work, I'll just drop it.
Michael thanks for your reply.
I know the current policy - but I think it's not right.
Especially when it comes to upgrade to a new OS - what if people are unable to install, say PDVD9 on Windows 8, it means that they have purchased a valid product key for PDVD12 but can't use it? I don't think it's right, and I don't know many companies having this kind of policy. It's really the kind of situation that would make people go away.

I sent a mail to technical support before posting here - still waiting for the answer. Let's see what will come back to me.
Nobody? I'm sure that many people, moving to W8, will be looking for a full installer supporting cleanly W8..........
Hi,
I've sent this to support as well, but I wanted to ask the question here too.
I've purchased PDVD11, and then an upgrade to PDVD12.
As a result, I think I have a full installer for PDVD11 plus a collection of patch files, including the upgrade to 12.

I recently moved my PC to W8, did a clean install not an upgrade.
I'd like to know how to install PDVD12 on it - knowing that only the latest patch brings the W8 compatibility.
When I try to install this latest patch, of course it says that there is no installed version.

So how am I supposed to do - please don't tell me to install PDVD11, then apply patches...
There must be a full install of the latest version somewhere...
Hi,
2 items today:

First, I yet again tried powerdvd 12 without reclock, and while playback is silky smooth for 10-15 mn, it starts to stutter like hell (approx 12fps) during 5mn, then comes back to normal.
This disappears when using ReClock with Vsync on on pdvd renderer.

As I understand, this is linked to the fact that PDVD does not lock Vsync, and while it's fine at the beginning of the movie, the Vsync will slowly move, to find itself out of the appropriate window, causing some displays to discard 1 frame over 2. And this situation will continue until the slow move of the Vsync gets it back into the appropriate window.

Maybe this is linked to the combination of gcard + cable + projector I have, but there are ways to lock the Vsync and that should be done in the source (games are doing it).

Will PDV support this one day?

Second, I tried to play Wrath of the Titans yesterday, and the first couple of times, after few seconds, screen went black with a mass of square color pixels, and that froze my PC. 3rd time I was able to see the movie entirely. 4rth time it froze again and the PC rebooted.

Has anyone tried this BR (3d version)?
Quote: Levels are set at 0-255

It's simply black is not black, but grey. Black should be 0 on a waveform monitor with white at 100 for example. This looks like the blacks are about 5-10.

Thanks for all of your input. The lack of input by anyone from Cyberlink during the trial of their software is, well, not a great sign.

Yes, black levels have been my nightmare for a long time, having consistent black levels on all applications was quite impossible. But I've never experienced this kind of problem since a long time, that's why I was a bit surprised. Again, maybe it's a problem that does not happen anymore on W7, but still on Vista?

About your second point, this is a users forum, so usually Cyberlink guys would not answer here. For that, there is the customer support (but that works only I guess if you have purchased the product).
Quote: The Process CLMSServerPDVD12.exe at random times and sucks to 25% of my system resources.
The only way to resolve the issue is to kill the process.
This is an issue I have had across an OS reload and a complete system rebuild.

Is this happening with all movies, or only some?
I recall that people were reporting high CPU load with some movies such as Star Wars or Avatar. It's marked as a known issue for PDVD11, but maybe it also exists on PDVD12?
Quote: Are you guys EVER going to fix this so PowerDVD will let you skip the commercials, like the other Blu-Ray software players do?

I'm no Blu-Ray expert, but I can only assume that forcing you to see the commercial is part of Blu-Ray specification. If my guess is true, then you can't expect a commercial player to go around this.
What you could do is install AnyDVD HD, or a similar SW that would allow you to go straight to the movie.
Quote: Hi,

Total Media Theater 5 and Media Player Classic Home Cinema are fine as I mentioned, it's just PDVD where the blacks are not black, they're gray.

Ie the blacks are not 0 IRE they look like they're about 8-10

I had this problem a long time ago, and it did happen with some players but not all. And then, after messing around, I went through the opposite: every player were playing fine, but TMT was playing lowered blacks. But that was solved as far as I can tell, and I've never seen that since a long time.

Maybe it's because you're on Vista - you could still try to play with the levels in nVidia panel, set the dynamic range to full. Did you try that?
OK I think that the DLA-HD350 corresponds to the DLA-RS10.
It's a very, very nice projector, but that unfortunately does not support 3D...

And about the overall topic: It's important to say that I'm looking for perfection. I have a problem with framedrop, and a single one during a 2h movie will get me nuts - I've with PDVD11 + ReClock enjoyed countless hours of movies with no single frame drop. I'm just looking to reproduce that "perfect" behavior with just PDVD
Quote: Hi,
Trying out PDVD12...at the moment the black levels are quite raised during BR playback. TMT5 and MPC are fine, so it must be an issue with PDVD.
Any ideas? I like the software, but can't use it with the current black levels like they are.
Vista 32
nVidia 520GT
Quadcore 2.4
4GB RAM

Hi
What do you mean by "black level are raised" - is the image too bright (and blacks seem gray) or is it the contrary, and you don't have enough contrast in dark scenes?
Which version of the nVidia drivers are you using?

In any case, you can try and change the color space in the nVidia control panel from 16-235 to 0-255, and see whether it solves your problem (also check with the other players if they're still behaving normally).
Jeff - no problem. And I appreciate comments and suggestions

For the projector, I'm using the JVC DLA-HD350 (which has a different reference in the US, can't remember which one). It does not do frame interpolation, but supports natively the 24p quite well.
Go to: