Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
POWERDVD *DOES NOT* SUPPORT PROPER HD AUDIO PROVEN
SoulIntake [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 25, 2013 01:33 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am sorry, but your software absolutely DOES NOT properly support HD audio. 100 percent tested and confirmed.

First, CyberLink does NOT understand the definition of LOSSLESS vs. LOSSY audio. A normal user shouldn't either..but you should know you are getting ripped off by under-performing programmers that never read over the format description offered on DTS (DATASAT) website, or the dolby website. This knowledge has been common place since the first 3 months of the format's release, but apparently Cyberlink is still trying to decipher the whole "HD audio thing."

Now, normally I wouldn't rip a company like k-lite for doing something for free and failing, but we are paying cyberlink to release broken programs with programmers that don't even understand a common format and haven't gotten it right in 3 generations of PowerDVD.

Cyberlink programmers...please let me educate you:

Here's where cyberlink fails. On a DTS-HD MA or TrueHD track... those tracks are LOSSLESS. Meaning...NOT COMPRESSED. When you choose the option in PowerDVD to output non-decoded high definition audio over HDMI and you are playing either Dolby HD or DTS HD tracks...cyberlink SHOULD be outputting NON COMPRESSED AUDIO...because Sherlock...it's NOT COMPRESSED...it's LOSSLESS.

Lossy audio, or compressed audio, is a standard low bitrate track like Dolby Digital 5.1, or standard DTS tracks at 1.5Mbps or less bitrate.

Why is it then does Cyberlink think that their program is working correctly when it is outputting DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD and says in the output: Compressed audio? Even if it is not outputting compressed audio as it states (and it is in fact..HD audio)...then PLEASE FIX IT. What else are you paid for? It's clear you guys don't have a clear understanding of different audio containers (Lossless v lossy containers).

Please study up on it...and fix it. And don't change the name to PowerDVD 14 just because your programmers finally understand common blu ray audio formats.

And yes I 'm using a brand new computer with a 6000 series ATI card, 1.4 HDMI cable, 1.4 HDMI receiver and 3D Television. The only available audio displaying under "show information" and "audio output" is "COMPRESSED AUDIO."

Compressed HD master audio or TrueHD...yeah...NO THANKS. Even if it outputs the audio uncompressed like it should...change the dialog. It's wayyyyyy over due. Also...how about you show the audio biitrate, whether it's 16 or 24 bits, and the sampling rate?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 25. 2013 01:56

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
100% tested and confirmed by how many people on how many systems? Sorry but flat statements like that are usually just a personal opinion. In this case it may be a technical but not real life situation.

Can you personally or can anyone else in your family hear the difference? Have you worked with other software of this type and found one that works for you?

This is not Cyberlink technical support. Have you taken it up with them? I doubt that there are any development engineers who frequent these forums so your rant will probably fall on deaf ears.

GZood luck. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
SoulIntake [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 25, 2013 01:33 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Steve... obviously you don't understand modern audio containers either.

While you were busy patronizing me, you said, can me or my family "hear" the difference? Well, yes... I'm using over $10,000 dollars in modern audio equipment. You can start with my Ascend Sierra's for example for my 7.1 system with HDMI 1.4 equipment. But that point is mute because I never said there was a problem with what I am hearing.

The problem is within the programming, and it IS 100 percent of the time. It has to do with the choice of words in the GUI (I hope I don't have to explain that to you too) for the "show information" dialog. When PowerDVD IS outputting and bitstreaming DTS-HD or TrueHD audio (which AGAIN are LOSSLESS, not LOSSY...aka UNCOMPRESSED AUDIO vs. COMPRESSED AUDIO), or it is bitstreaming standard 'core' tracks DD 5.1 or DTS... it always shows in the show information GUI as the output being Compressed Audio." The compressed audio dialog is the only dialog that comes up when outputting what PowerDVD refers to as High Definition undecoded audio.

If "compressed audio" is the only dialog available for that GUI while bitstreaming uncompressed audio over HDMI 1.4... then, yes..it is wrong indeed! It's a stupid dialog programming error because it's 100 percent erroneous, and it's 100 percent misleading if you are trying to troubleshoot your system.

For the sake of this forum Steve, please don't rob my thread again with patronizing BS. If you are still worried that enough people haven't tested this with similar results (a simple google search would have helped you), then leave the space to people with enough knowledge or a new enough HTPC to bitstream uncompressed audio over HDMI 1.4 to confirm the results.

After enough people confirm the results, THEN you make sure the developer's become aware of the issue. Also, I see plenty of DEV's responding to posts in here....Dude, have you even browsed through these forums enough to know that? Apparently, not.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
I stand chastised !

With a $10,000 audio system, why are you using a $100 program to play the resources? Isn't there something better that will play the HD audio from your resources?

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
just a short comment on this "discussion"

1. both DTS-HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD are compressed formats
2. the compression of both formats is lossless ==> lossless compressed

ref. for Dolby:
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-truehd.html

"Dolby TrueHD is a lossless compression audio format..."

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
crisliv [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 14, 2012 18:05 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Yes I second Michael's comment - there is a difference between "lossless" and "uncompressed".
Lossless means that, even if compressed, when you uncompress, you get an exact copy of the initial data.

Zip for example is a lossless, yet compressed, format - unzipping will get you an exact copy of the original file.

PNG is lossless, whereas JPG is lossy. But PNG is still smaller than the original bitmap, because it's compressed.

And indeed, Dolby Digital and DTS are lossy compression formats, DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD are lossless, but yet compressed, audio formats. There are few blu ray titles with fully uncompressed audio - but you won't get any better sound.

So Mr SoulIntake, before trying to teach everybody lessons, please first get it right.