Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Auto-switch to 4k / HDR for for non 4k video in TV mode
crisliv [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 14, 2012 18:05 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have an issue with PDVD 18: when running in TV mode, it will always switch to 4k HDR, even if I launch a full HD Blu-Ray.
This also happens in PC mode when the true theater enhacement is ticked (even if all cursors are set to 0) but does not when it's unticcked (it will remain in 1080p23).

I suspect it's because of the TrueTheater setting, in TV mode, can be set to 0, but cannot be unticked.
Is there a way to disable it completely, and leave the resolution to 1080p23, except when launching a 4k HDR movie?

The consequence is that I have to run it in PC Mode, which bothers me because in this mode, sometimes the mouse appears and will stay on screen until I move it.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Per my understanding, a 2D playback won't change screen resolution, but only adjust display refresh rate when playing a full hd BD disc. (not video file)

4k is not equal to HDR.
If your screen resolution (on Windows) is 4K, then the playback will be in 4K resolution (Scale the 1080P video on a 4K screen).

Did you turn the HDR color on Windows? Let it be off if you don't want to watch videos that affected by HDR.
Here is a FAQ that offers the steps to turn off HDR on Windows (OS).
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=21822
crisliv [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your answer.

Let me add some specifics:
My Windows is set in 1080p with HDR turned off in Windows by default. I don't have that many UHD files to keep it turned on all the time.

When launching an UHD Blu-Ray, PDVD will switch resolution to 4k (2160p) AND will turn HDR on, which is fine.

When launching a FHD Blu-Ray:

• if in PC mode, with all true theater video enhancements unticked, it will not change anything.

• if in TV mode, or if in PC mode with one of the video enhancement ticked (even if slider is at 0), it will again switch to 4k AND turn HDR on.

It's that second item that bothers me - I would wish TV mode not to auto-switch to 4k and to HDR when I start a normal blu-ray.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2018 02:07

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
How about try the following trick?

1. Go to PC mode, tick TrueTheater video, and then switch to Advanced Enhancment tab.
2. Un-tick the TrueTheater HDR feature specifically first, and then un-tick the TrueTheater video enhancment completely.
3. Go to TV mode, play BD and adjust the TrueTheater video enhancment to 0% (= disable it).
crisliv [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote How about try the following trick?
1. Go to PC mode, tick TrueTheater video, and then switch to Advanced Enhancment tab.
2. Un-tick the TrueTheater HDR feature specifically first, and then un-tick the TrueTheater video enhancment completely.
3. Go to TV mode, play BD and adjust the TrueTheater video enhancment to 0% (= disable it).

Thanks QC for your help. I beleive I've tried this already but I'll try again tonight.
crisliv [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
so I tried this:

• swtich to PC mode

• enable True Theater in Smart Enhancement

• switch to Advanced Enhancement, untick HDR, then untick Video Enhancement completely

• Play a full HD BR in PC mode => all is fine, screen does not switch to 4k or to HDR

• Switch to TV mode, confirm Video Enhancement setting is at 0%, play same BD => screen switches to 4k and HDR

I suspect that setting the video enhancement to 0% is not the same as disabling it. It still triggers the switch to 4k / HDR, which may be necessary to enable PDVD enhancements to work. And in TV mode there is a way to set 0%, but no way to disable.

In addition, when enabling Video Enhancement top level setting in Advanced, but unticking all tick box underneath it, if I switch to Smart and come back to Advanced, they're ticked again. But in any case, in order to avoid this unwanted switch to 4k HDR, I need to untick the top level Video Enhancement setting, it is not enough to untick all tickboxes underneath.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 14. 2018 02:02

crisliv [Avatar]
[Post New]
Anyone experiencing the same behaviour?
I'd like to know if it's confirmed as a bug, and if there is a workaround to still use the TV mode, which I prefer?