Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Windows 8 - full installer?
crisliv [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 14, 2012 18:05 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I've sent this to support as well, but I wanted to ask the question here too.
I've purchased PDVD11, and then an upgrade to PDVD12.
As a result, I think I have a full installer for PDVD11 plus a collection of patch files, including the upgrade to 12.

I recently moved my PC to W8, did a clean install not an upgrade.
I'd like to know how to install PDVD12 on it - knowing that only the latest patch brings the W8 compatibility.
When I try to install this latest patch, of course it says that there is no installed version.

So how am I supposed to do - please don't tell me to install PDVD11, then apply patches...
There must be a full install of the latest version somewhere...
crisliv [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nobody? I'm sure that many people, moving to W8, will be looking for a full installer supporting cleanly W8..........
Saaber [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Saaber Joined: Apr 05, 2009 14:34 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I like a link to a full install version of Power DVD 12 too for an upgrade to Windows 8. I only have my Power DVD 12 product key. There must be a way to do this. As the previous poster has said a lot of owners of Power DVD 12 have this problem.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I like a link to a full install version of Power DVD 12 too for an upgrade to Windows 8. I only have my Power DVD 12 product key. There must be a way to do this. As the previous poster has said a lot of owners of Power DVD 12 have this problem.

if you have lost your full version (not upgrade build) please contact the support team

Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I like a link to a full install version of Power DVD 12 too for an upgrade to Windows 8. I only have my Power DVD 12 product key. There must be a way to do this. As the previous poster has said a lot of owners of Power DVD 12 have this problem.

Hi,
it is current policy that a qualified build (e.g. PDVD 9) must be installed and activated in order to use the upgrade build.

br

Werde Facebook Fan
crisliv [Avatar]
[Post New]
Michael thanks for your reply.
I know the current policy - but I think it's not right.
Especially when it comes to upgrade to a new OS - what if people are unable to install, say PDVD9 on Windows 8, it means that they have purchased a valid product key for PDVD12 but can't use it? I don't think it's right, and I don't know many companies having this kind of policy. It's really the kind of situation that would make people go away.

I sent a mail to technical support before posting here - still waiting for the answer. Let's see what will come back to me.
[Post New]
Hi,

"purchased a valid product key for PDVD12"
when purchasing the upgrade you receive a download and key for the upgrade version of PowerDVD 12 that needs a qualified version installed.

br

Werde Facebook Fan
crisliv [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: when purchasing the upgrade you receive a download and key for the upgrade version of PowerDVD 12 that needs a qualified version installed.

Thanks - but again, I know that and that this is the policy at Cyberlink.
Another one being that the trial version is just a trial, and that you cannot just enter your product key in it once the trial is over and you've made the purchase - you have to uninstall and reinstall the full version.

I'm just saying that, in case where, like what happened to me, you're upgrading your PC to a new OS, and need to redo an install from scratch, it's really inconvenient (and in some case impossible) to have your qualified version (say PDVD9) installed before upgrading to PDVD12.

But still - I'll try, installing PDVD11 for which I have a "full key" (hoping it will work on Windows , and on top of it, install just the latest upgrade of PDVD12. If it does not work, I'll just drop it.
[Post New]
Quote:

Hi,
it is current policy that a qualified build (e.g. PDVD 9) must be installed and activated in order to use the upgrade build.

br
Michael
It would be nice if something was done to improve this to be honest. Once you registered your new version at Cyberlink, you should not have to reinstall everything in order to enjoy the latest version you purchased.
Not to mention than old version can have problems installing on newer operating systems... My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=194008&action=showcategory&category=1&categoryid=7
rickycht [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 03, 2012 07:33 Messages: 56 Offline
[Post New]
I think Michael is right , that's the current policy. However, I still think it needs to be changed.
crisliv [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK - so I tried to install PDVD11, entered my PDVD11 key, and then tried to upgrade to PDVD12 - all the installers I have (I have plenty...) are either patches (you need to have a registered version of PDVD12 installed to use this patch), or trials. I can't find back the installer that allowed me once to install PDVD12 (with the key) on top of PDVD11. Probably I have not kept it?
And PDVD11 does not work right under Windows 8 - the MediaCenter plugin is not showing up.

Again, I know it's the policy. But it's been a number of posts where paying users ask to change this policy. Most of the SW I know provide a full, latest installer, that allows trial, and can be turned to registered when user enter the license key.

It's time again for me to look for an alternative - I have my HTPC without blu ray SW.
[Post New]
Hi,
please contact the customer support team - they should be able to help you

Werde Facebook Fan
crisliv [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Michael,
Just to confirm that I did contact CS, and they provided me a download link for the PDVD12 upgrade (from 11/10/9).
So I was able to install it, and activate it.
Thanks for this.

However, I'll continue to think that the current policy is not very convenient for users - I'm talking about the 2 aspects of it:
1/ the upgrade, forcing you to have an existing version activated before installing the new one (we all constantly reinstall our HTPCs from scratch...)
2/ the fact that you can't download simply the trial version, and then enter your key to activate it

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 19. 2012 10:24