Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power DVD 12 spawns a Rouge Process
[Post New]
The Process CLMSServerPDVD12.exe at random times and sucks to 25% of my system resources.
The only way to resolve the issue is to kill the process.
This is an issue I have had across an OS reload and a complete system rebuild.

System:
Windows 7 Ult 64bit running Media Center
Core i5-2500K
8GB DDR3
Radeon 6850
2 1920x1080 LED Monitors (1 Display Port, 1 DVI)
1 1080p 3D Vizio TV connected by HDMI
nayan007 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 05, 2011 22:50 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
The most possibility of high system usage is due to system is affected by virus. Try to make a full scan with your antivirus and try tp play again. For more information please refer this :- http://processchecker.com/file/CLMSServerPDVD12.exe.html !! Love Cyber-Link !!
[Post New]
This error has occurred on this system after a complete OS reinstall. This is occurring without ever launching the PowerDVD 12 software.
The process seems to settle down if I kill it, twice.
crisliv [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 14, 2012 18:05 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The Process CLMSServerPDVD12.exe at random times and sucks to 25% of my system resources.
The only way to resolve the issue is to kill the process.
This is an issue I have had across an OS reload and a complete system rebuild.

Is this happening with all movies, or only some?
I recall that people were reporting high CPU load with some movies such as Star Wars or Avatar. It's marked as a known issue for PDVD11, but maybe it also exists on PDVD12?
[Post New]
This is happening without ever launching the PDVD12 software. I can reboot the computer and at random times the process with just start using a lot of cycles for no reason.
Chad [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 27, 2009 14:09 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem. I used PowerDVD 8 for years to play my Blu-ray discs. Since I upgraded to PowerDVD12 it has been hogging all my system resources even when I am not playing a video. When I play a Blu-Ray it frequently freezes and drops frames even when hardware acceleration is turned on. This never happened with PowerDVD 8.

I think it is scanning my disk for content but I have already given it a whole evening to do this. It allocated 0.5 GB of VM when I tried to exit and kept on going long after it should have terminated. Don't tell me this is a virus because I run MS Security Essentials and keep it up to date. Nothing like this happened until I installed PDVD12.

I tried to go into settings and remove all the directories it might scan but the rouge PDVD12*32 process kept on hogging more and more resources. I tried to click "ok" on the "settings" menu and it just hangs with the disk light working 100%.

This is probably a good software package but I need to figure out how to stop it from doing this ridiculous scan. I am not an idiot and I know where I keep all my movies. I don't need it to scan my whole damn 1TB disk. This disk is fast but I don't have a F!@#ing 15K rpm Serial SCSI RAID array. How do I kill the rouge scan?

Jules.
JarmoNH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 31, 2009 17:52 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Yup, I have also same problem.

I have 11 879 files, 310 Folders and 117 GB in My Pictures. In My Videos I have 3264 Files, 503 Folders and 244 GB. Maybe it is still scanning those folders even I have disabled them. This is really big problem for me.

-Jarmo
 Filename
Cyberlink.pdf
[Disk]
 Description
Norton message
 Filesize
106 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
724 time(s)
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
some questions about your reports here:

1. do you have enabled Library and DLNA Server?
2. do you mean that PDVD constantly consumes CPU for scanning?
3. how long did you wait until check again - did the inittial scanning finish?

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
JarmoNH [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 31, 2009 17:52 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
1. I have "Do not share media with any home media (DLNA) clients" checked

2. Yes, it takes tens of minutes to scan, not hole evening but long time

3. Every time when I boot my computer

I found some other software scanning also my system (Nokia Suite) so I am not sure about this for now. I must check this again when I have time.

[Post New]
I had the same problem, so I used Services.msc to make the following changes:

1. Changed CyberLink PowerDVD 12 Media Server Monitor Service to "Manual"
2. Changed CyberLink PowerDVD 12 Media Server Service to "Manual"

I also changed CLHNServiceForPowerDVD12 to "Manual" just for good measure. All I use PowerDVD 12 for is DVD playback, so it's actually safe for me to disable these. However, setting them to Manual is more of a "safe" setting because they will still be able to start if they are ever needed. So far, they've never been needed for the way I use PowerDVD 12. I can still disable them, but it won't make any difference because they're never started anyway.

To open Services.msc in Windows 7, open the Start Menu, type services.msc, and press Enter.

In Vista, I recommend Windows Key+R (which is a fast way to open then the Run Command dialog box), type services.msc, then press Enter. You can certainly use the Start Menu search in Vista, but I heard that it can sometimes be painfully slow.

I also went to the following Registry key ("regedit", for those who aren't sure):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

...and I deleted the entry on the right-hand side named "PowerDVD12Agent". By doing this, I discovered that I don't need it for the way I use PowerDVD 12.

As always, reboot after making any of these changes (or after all of them if you so desire) in order for them to take effect.

Note: If you do the same thing that I did in Services.msc, then you will receive the following message every single time you start PowerDVD 12:

All I have do to is either press Esc, press Enter, click Yes, or click the little 'x', and then I'm good to go. I prefer pressing Esc or Enter because it's faster than using the mouse.

Remember: all I use PowerDVD 12 for is DVD playback, and it is not affected by making these changes!
geonk
Newbie Location: Pasadena, CA USA Joined: Feb 25, 2011 19:58 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
After going back and forth with CyberLink technical support, I finally got them to tell me what all of the services started by PowerDVD 12 are! At one point, they even tried to claim that they couldn't tell me because it was proprietary information. When I yelled and screamed at them (what I normally need to do when, after my fifth reply to Tech Support, they have not yet even read my support request all the way through), they finally acquiesced and gave me the full list. Of course, they actually got it wrong the first time, because, after all, they are the worst tech support on the planet! But I eventually got the full correct list.

Here it is! Of course, this should have been documented with the software, but, well, this is CyberLink!

• 1. CLHNServiceForPowerDVD12.exe
    Name: CyberLink Home Network Service for PowerDVD12
    Purpose: DTCP-IP (Digital Transmission Content Protection over IP) Service
    Description: DRM-like component for protection in the "digital home" environment. Creates and manages DTCP keys.

2. CLMSServerPDVD12.exe
    Name: CyberLink Media Service Server [for] PowerDVD12
    Purpose: DLNA/UPnP Server

3. CLMSMonitorServicePDVD12.exe
    Name: CyberLink Media Service Monitoring Service [for] PowerDVD12
    Purpose: DLNA Server Monitor
    Description: This is the service that restarts CMLSServerPDVD12.exe if it's stopped.

4. PowerDVD12DMREngine.exe
    Name: PowerDVD12 Digital Media Receiver Engine
    Purpose: Digital Media Receiver (DLNA Endpoint)

5. PowerDVD12Agent.exe
    Name: PowerDVD12 Sync Agent
    Purpose: Mobile Device Sync

6. PowerDVD12ML.exe
    Name: PowerDVD12 Moovie Live
    Purpose: Provides Moovie Live services

• This is the information as given to me by CyberLink. I've successfully disabled all of these except the first, as I have absolutely no use for them. They OUGHT to be customizable through the program preferences, but well, given that CL hasn't ever even documented them, I wouldn't hold my breath. BTW, keep in mind that, as another person mentioned, if you disable the PowerDVD12 Agent, you'll get a warning every time you start PDVD, which is fine by me, but may annoy some others.

I hope this helps!!!

-geo

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 24. 2012 20:11

peterpondus [Avatar]
    Newbie Joined: May 17, 2012 02:34 Messages: 29 Offline
    [Post New]
    I also went through my registry runkeys and services and removed ALL cyberlink files. The result is that now bluray films play completely stutterless (and I get the annoying popup box stated earlier in the thread). As suggested, it would be really nice with an "advanced" menu, where you could turn all those things off, really off, in case you don't need them, and maybe loose the media server error popup on starting bluray play).
    geonk
    Newbie Location: Pasadena, CA USA Joined: Feb 25, 2011 19:58 Messages: 6 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: I also went through my registry runkeys and services and removed ALL cyberlink files. The result is that now bluray films play completely stutterless (and I get the annoying popup box stated earlier in the thread). As suggested, it would be really nice with an "advanced" menu, where you could turn all those things off, really off, in case you don't need them, and maybe loose the media server error popup on starting bluray play).

I'd be happy with them simply documenting the services!
    Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote:
    Quote: I also went through my registry runkeys and services and removed ALL cyberlink files. The result is that now bluray films play completely stutterless (and I get the annoying popup box stated earlier in the thread). As suggested, it would be really nice with an "advanced" menu, where you could turn all those things off, really off, in case you don't need them, and maybe loose the media server error popup on starting bluray play).

check the forum

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/23102.page#124007
    Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
    geonk
    [Post New]
    Quote:
    Quote:

check the forum

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/23102.page#124007

HAH!

I'm guessing that you didn't notice that the wording of that post (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/23102.page#124007), written on May 7, 2012, is exactly the same as what I wrote, on May 6, 2012, four posts above this?!?

What I wrote above is my own wording, based on the (almost indecipherable) information the CyberLink support person gave me. I didn't copy it from some other source. I wrote it myself.

So, copying what I wrote word for word isn't quite what I'd call documenting.

This information ought to be in a manual that comes with PowerDVD.

-geo

Edit: Oh, wait! I just realized that YOU are the one who wrote that other post!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 21. 2012 15:37

[Post New]
    Hi,
    this is a user-2-user forum and not the official CL support

The support team is not checking this forum nor posting here. So sometimes the information presented here are coming from various sources (e.g. from other forum posts)

I have removed your text and changed it to official description.

greetings
    Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 22. 2012 05:36

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
    geonk
    [Post New]
    Quote: Hi,
    this is a user-2-user forum and not the official CL support

The support team is not checking this forum nor posting here. So sometimes the information presented here are coming from various sources (e.g. from other forum posts)

I have removed your text and changed it to official description.

greetings
    Michael

I didn't have a problem with you copying it. I just thought it was funny that you directed me to something that I wrote!

If you feel like using any of what I wrote, feel free to do so. CL doesn't care much about explaining things in clear English, which is why I posted what I did.

-geo
    [Post New]
    Hi,

appreciate your cooperation and contribution

:thumbsup:

br
    michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
    tbessie2 [Avatar]
    Newbie Joined: Apr 04, 2011 01:52 Messages: 17 Offline
    [Post New]
    So, Cyberlink support people - why does PowerDVD12 need to run services having to do with the media server, if the media server is disabled?

I should not have to be annoyed by the error message PowerDVD12 gives me (as mentioned above) when I disable the home media server, since I am not USING the home media server.

Can Cyberlink release a patch that will stop PowerDVD from displaying that annoying message about the media server not running, if I haven't even ENABLED the media server in the first place?

This is basic stuff, people.

- Tim
    [Post New]
    Hi tbessie2,
    suggest you contact our technical support - the support does not monitor this forum

greetings
    Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan