Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SOLVED!

Optodata, you're right, my reply to your suggestion wasn't very responsive. I understood you, but meant to be indicating that since my produced video sounded fine in every media player on a computer, but not on my tablet or TV, the problem was mysterious and had to be lurking somewhere I hadn't thought of. I've been producing videos like this for years, with imported, complex audio tracks which I mix together in PD, and it's always worked. I've also done a lot of producing of audio from PD as you were talking about, and working with that exported audio in other programs with more sound mixing capabilities.

In any case - When I posted earlier about 5.1 surround versus Stereo - got me to thinking. Video sounds fine on my computer - but to stream the video to my tablet and TV, I used Plex. The weak link must be there in Plex somewhere. Sure enough - after Googling and reading Plex user forum posts - I discovered that a recent update had screwed some things up and a lot of people were having my exact same problem. I updated Plex today, and now the problem is totally gone.

Users were complaining of not being able to hear dialogue as if all the back speakers of a surround system were the only sources playing. When surround is played on a stereo system, audio has to be juggled, and for a while, it wasn't working correctly in Plex. Now they've fixed it. I definitely have my audio source set to Stereo in Plex's preferences, and now my project sounds exactly the same on my tablet and TV as it does on my computer.

SO -- this had Nothing to do with PD. That's a relief isn't it? Thanks for the help - Talking it out with you guys helped me think more and figure it out.

RB
Thanks much for the replies, Optodata and JL_JL. This problem turns out to be a different one than what I reported. This is now SEMI-SOLVED, sorta, at least IDENTIFIED:

After producing the video in question I first tested it on my tablet. The sound imbalance I described was very pronounced - weak voice, loud music and FX. Now I've streamed it to my TV for testing - same problem.

But doesn't that sound familiar? Google gives you lots of results on the topic of people struggling with weak voice/loud music and FX when playing movies on their TVs. They hold their remote, constantly turning volume up and down. Well, that's mostly a problem with 5.1 surround soundtracks being played on stereo systems. Various "solutions" are posted, including throwing sound to one side so it plays back in mono. If people have a full home theatre set up, they can change the balance so the middle speaker with dialogue is louder.

This can also be an issue even when 5.1 isn't involved. There are various "enhancers" which do aural tricks to boost the width of stereo and/or tweak the EQ in various ways. So another piece of advice I found online was to turn all those things off so you have a better chance of hearing the soundtrack as it was originally produced.

I've noticed before that my PD produced videos will sound wrong played on a TV, but it's more pronounced in this particular project. My soundtracks are almost always complex, lots of layers - AND, Optodata, it's rare for me to use the raw sound on a video clip. I do all my sound production in other sound programs and then import the tracks. The relative balance between the tracks is then done in PD. This project has a produced vocal track, separate sound clips of my original music, separate FX tracks etc.

Also, JL_JL, thanks for the tip. I checked, and I do have Stereo selected in my Preferences.

This project, as usual, sounds fine on the computer. It's exactly as I want - not only with the project playing in PD, but the produced file also sounds exactly the same in Windows Media Player, VLC, any player. It's all good. It's only on TVs and devices where there can be a problem.

If you guys aren't hearing a sound imbalance when you play produced projects on a TV or tablet - I don't have any idea why my results are different.

I'll just tell people the recommended way to watch this is on a computer - and if they watch on TV, which of course would be preferred, I'll ask them to try tweaking their sound settings.

One more note - This issue is still frustrating. If I lowered the sound while editing to levels that work on TV, it could probably be 6 DBs lower - way too low on the computer - and how would I accurately know how low is low enough without numerous, tedious rendering tests?

Thanks again. I may try tweaking a few places in this project where the imbalance is most pronounced, but I can't re-do the whole thing. Not sure what I'll try on my next long project. --
UPDATE - This problem was solved. PLEX, which I use to stream video to my TV and devices, was the source of the problem. I've updated that program, re-set things, and everything's fine now. - Leaving this original post as it was.

------

I think I saw reference to something about this some time ago: After meticulous editing on a 2-hour video, with particular focus on balancing a voice track with other tracks of music and SFX - the balance is completely different in the produced version. The SFX and music are both super loud and competing with the voice, sometimes drowning it out. It's awful and unusable. While working in PD, everything sounds just as I want. In the produced version - completely different and wrong.

What I remember someone saying is that PD uses compression on the sound, but we have no control over it? It's done automatically as a supposed improvement? - Any info on that?

It would take me weeks, full time, probably over a month, to re-do this very complex sound volume envelope work - and I still could end up with PD forcing its level up for the final product.

I'm wondering if this compression/boosting is only happening on the built-in music and audio tracks at the bottom of the workspace? - In this project, the music and SFX are on those tracks, but the voice is on a regular audio track. Maybe I should move the music and FX to regular audio tracks, and this unpredictable godawful re-balancing won't happen?

Does anyone have knowledge of this, tips, anything? It's incredibly discouraging. Huge 2 hour project I guaranteed devliery on early this coming week ---

RB
Quote I'm not sure I've understood correctly but if you are setting one item on your timeline up in a way that you want all the others to appear can you not right click on it and select "copy keyframe" and then select all the items, right click and paste keyframe?

Well, look at that! Yes, one can indeed right click, select "copy keyframes," in this case, those customized settings I did on an FX, and then right-click to paste those keyframe settings on the next clip which has the unedited FX dragged onto it. -- I did not know this was possible before!-- Love learning something new.

The only thing that isn't possible is to select multiple clips for pasting into at a time. It's on a one clip at a time basis, but believe me, that is a huge relief after opening up the FX editing window over and over and changing those 4 parameters over and over.

So yes, Longedge, you understood me correctly. Thanks much for the assistance.
I don't think this is possible but will ask in case I'm wrong. My FX track already has one FX I need for the entire length of the video. I have a 2nd effect I want on all clips, but the settings are not default, they're all custom settings for the FX. What I'm currently doing is dragging the default FX onto a clip, changing all the settings as needed - then moving on to the next clip and doing that all over again.

Especially considering this video has hundreds of clips, it would be awfully nice if I could save an edited, customized version of the effect so I only had to drag it into each clip without doing the by-hand editing over each time.

Can't be done, right?

Thanks for that - but I don't use AVG, so that fix doesn't apply. I use Avast, and I've tried turning it off temporarily while using PD, and that doesn't solve the issue.

I get the impression from the replies, though, that my problem isn't known, it could be unique I guess. Head scratching. Thanks for the replies.

rbowser
Quote Leave your pc on overnight without PD15. More than likely you will probably see your auto updates turned off maybe because of a Trojan which bypass your antivirus.

Ah! Thanks for the advice, tomasc. Interesting! -- If it's true that a Trojan is causing this, why do I get the message that updates are turned off every time I open PD? Without fail - I mean literally I open PD, within a minute I get the warning. Doesn't happen under any other circumstances. If it's a Trojan, then it's embedded in PD?--is that what you think may be the case?

rbowser
Quote Hi Randy -

My PC is set to do automatic Windows updates too - but using PDR15 has no impact on that.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for the reply, Tony. I wonder what's going on? I can report with complete confidence that the updates are turned off every time I open PD15. I've opened and closed the program almost 10 times since I posted - each time, the red mark appeared on the Action Center flag, alerting me that my automatic updates have been turned off.

Odd.

rbowser
Suggestion:

While it's nice to change the height of each individual track's audio track and video track independently, it was more convenient in earlier versions of PD to also have the option to change the height of all tracks, video and audio, with one click instead of the two separate clicks we have to make now - one for video, one for audio.

Another work space suggestion:

I used to be able to scroll up and down through my tracks easily, sweeping the entire vertical height of all the tracks continuously. Now the scrolling stops on each individual track and I have to keep repositioning the cursor. I use WizMouse which gives the capability of scrolling over whatever area of a page the cursor is over, rather than to keep clicking first to give the area focus. That's what doesn't work anymore. I'm having to grab the scroll bar which is much clunkier than being able to instantly scroll.

rbowser
Is this a known issue? - Every time I use PD15, an alert pops up from the Windows Action Center - the flag at the bottom right of the PC icon tray. My setting to "install updates automatically" has been turned off - I turn it back on. All remains fine until I use PD again, then, same thing happens again. Every time.

Known? A fix available? Or do I just continue fixing that every time - which is no gigantic hassle, but it obviously shouldn't be happening.

rbowser
Thanks for the reply, Hicham

Since writing the post, I found how to turn off the unwanted default of advancing to the next vid, thanks.

My primary issue was already resolved when I edited the post and added SOLVED to the title. As I said in that edit, "...found what I wanted. By default, this True Theater enhancement includes adding a reverb to the signal."

Maybe you're not aware of it, but True Theater (on by default), adds a subtle amount of reverb to a soundtrack. Not echo, but a venue simulation reverb. For the self-produced videos I first tried out in PowerDVD, it was very annoying to have my intended sound be unexpectedly altered. But turning True Theater off fixed the problem, and the soundtracks are playing back now as I want my audio mixes to sound.

Thanks again.

Randy B.

Quote Hi rbowser,

Thank you for joining our forum.

• For you first question about "automatically playing another video": Play a video file in PDVD, than right click on the screen and click "Repeat", than "Off". Please see attached file.

• For your forther question, could you send us a screen shot / produced file or a screen capture in order to understand your concerns. BTW, the Director Suite 5 Ultimate has a screen recording software called "Screen Recorder". Please capture all the steps you did and send us the produced clip with the screen recorde.

Best regards

Hicham

Quote PowerDVD is new to me with my purchase of Director Suite 5 Ultimate. I'm not loving it so far, will probably need to revert to VLC as my default video player.

But I'm trying to give the software a chance. - So far I don't see how to turn off the annoying default of automatically playing another video after the one I wanted to watch. - ?

More annoying - I was playing back video projects made in PD15, and heard an annoying addition of room simulation reverb added to the audio - not echo, though people mistakenly call reverb that sometimes. I'm talking about the simulation of sound bouncing around inside different sizes of venues. This particular reverb sounds like it's a fairly bright, medium sized room.

I thought I'd done something unintended in PD15, but have definitely tracked the source of the reverb back to PowerDVD. The same videos played in VLC or Windows Media Player sound the way I intended. In PowerDVD it seems to be one of those "audio enhancements" which often are not an improvement but a degradation of sound.

I cannot find a control for turning this off. Anyone know how?

EDIT: Poked around more - found what I wanted. By default, this True Theater enhancement includes adding a reverb to the signal. It's under Video Enhancements instead of Audio - illogically. Glad I found it and turned it off. Was driving me mad.

Randy B.
Thanks for your reply, Chuck

Videos of all formats have this slightly jerky playback problem. The same videos all play perfectly smoothly in VLC, in Plex, and other media players I already have, so I'm content. I'll just chalk up this PowerDVD element of my Director Suite 5 purchase as a dud. I appreciate your suggestions, but I'll just leave this as it is.

Randy B.

Quote I'm not finding much, if anything, to be impressed about with this new PowerDVD16 purchase. Earlier I posted about hearing an unwanted reverb being added to videos I'd produced myself. Then I discovered that turning off the so-called "True Theater" audio fixed that problem.

Now, by comparing playback both in PowerDVD and the great VLC media player, I see that PowerDVD definitely adds a jerky, drop-frame look to playback. Playing the same videos in VLC - perfectly smooth. I tried turning off the Video portion of "True Theater," but that didn't change the jerky playback.

How PowerDVD is any kind of improvement over things I already had is completely escaping me.

Randy B.

Hi rbowser,

There are various factors that may affect the video playback condition.

What format of video files you played back have this problem? (MP4, MKV, M2TS)
Any video encoding info can be shared to us for further diagnosis? (H.264, HEVC, MPEG2, color depth, chroma subsampling)
DxDiag is also helpful for PC platform checking.

How to get DxDiag:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=6310

You may also get graphic driver updates from your GPU vendor (Intel/nVidia/AMD) support page to check if it help the playback problem with PowerDVD.

Beside of that, for the problem under certain platform, I recommend you to directly contact the customer support:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp

Greetings,
Chuck
I'm not finding much, if anything, to be impressed about with this new PowerDVD16 purchase. Earlier I posted about hearing an unwanted reverb being added to videos I'd produced myself. Then I discovered that turning off the so-called "True Theater" audio fixed that problem.

Now, by comparing playback both in PowerDVD and the great VLC media player, I see that PowerDVD definitely adds a jerky, drop-frame look to playback. Playing the same videos in VLC - perfectly smooth. I tried turning off the Video portion of "True Theater," but that didn't change the jerky playback.

How PowerDVD is any kind of improvement over things I already had is completely escaping me.

Randy B.
Great, thanks for the answer, Tony - Not only were these "Tripod Covers" a mystery to me, but also why the 2:1 aspect ratio wasn't in the program's settings - I didn't realize 2:1 is only for 360 videos. OK - All cleared up. Thanks.

FB

Quote Hi RB -

You've pretty much answered your own question without realising it laughing

2:1 is equirectangular, so the three "Tripod Cover" PiP Objects are only available if you are working on a 360° video project. Not being a 360 guy myself, I don't have a clue what you'd do with them... but they look like they were made to mask something (?).

Switch your aspect ratio to 360, and you'll see them.

Edit: Just found this video which shows the use of 360 PiP Objects & titles.

Cheers - Tony
PowerDVD is new to me with my purchase of Director Suite 5 Ultimate. I'm not loving it so far, will probably need to revert to VLC as my default video player.

But I'm trying to give the software a chance. - So far I don't see how to turn off the annoying default of automatically playing another video after the one I wanted to watch. - ?

More annoying - I was playing back video projects made in PD15, and heard an annoying addition of room simulation reverb added to the audio - not echo, though people mistakenly call reverb that sometimes. I'm talking about the simulation of sound bouncing around inside different sizes of venues. This particular reverb sounds like it's a fairly bright, medium sized room.

I thought I'd done something unintended in PD15, but have definitely tracked the source of the reverb back to PowerDVD. The same videos played in VLC or Windows Media Player sound the way I intended. In PowerDVD it seems to be one of those "audio enhancements" which often are not an improvement but a degradation of sound.

I cannot find a control for turning this off. Anyone know how?

EDIT: Poked around more - found what I wanted. By default, this True Theater enhancement includes adding a reverb to the signal. It's under Video Enhancements instead of Audio - illogically. Glad I found it and turned it off. Was driving me mad.

Randy B.
Updating my own question - I see now the PiP Objects are labeled according to their aspect ratio. So for the Dialog balloons, for instance, each different balloon has four versions. The Tripod Cover files that puzzle me are only labeled "2_1" - these aren't available in the other ratios.

How is that possible? Why are any of these Objects labeled "2_1" when we don't have that aspect ratio available in PD?

I see labels of 2_1, 4_3, 9_16 and 16_9. Am I not seeing the Tripod Covers in PD15 because they are only for 2_1, and I first need to see a display of 2_1 items - but if so, how is that possible when that 2_1 ratio isn't even available - ?

RB

Quote I've asked this on other threads which dealt with several PD15 installation problems. This question I asked hasn't been addressed yet:

In the PiP Objects room, the menu lists a folder for "Tripod Cover," but there are 0 files in it. In my C drive Programs folder, I see the files for Tripod Cover. As far as I know, everything is there that should be, but none of that shows up in my PD15 installation.

Anyone have experience with this?

RB

EDIT - briefly, I incorrectly said Dialog and Extreme Altimeter weren't showing up either. They are - I was looking in the wrong folders inside PD15. I've edited this post accordingly.
I've asked this on other threads which dealt with several PD15 installation problems. This question I asked hasn't been addressed yet:

In the PiP Objects room, the menu lists a folder for "Tripod Cover," but there are 0 files in it. In my C drive Programs folder, I see the files for Tripod Cover. As far as I know, everything is there that should be, but none of that shows up in my PD15 installation.

Anyone have experience with this?

RB

EDIT - briefly, I incorrectly said Dialog and Extreme Altimeter weren't showing up either. They are - I was looking in the wrong folders inside PD15. I've edited this post accordingly.
Ah, that's what that is, yes, I see - didn't realize those were DZ links. Every room has that arrow except the FX room. There's a download for the NewBlue folders, but not one for the full folder. Fine, this is better. Thanks again, Jeff.

Still no word on why Tripod Cover is missing, and if anyone actually has that?

RB

Quote But PD15 doesn't have the direct DZ link at the upper left as in PD11. I'm getting to DZ by clicking the question mark then selecting "Download Free Templates." That looks like the only way to do that now. I wonder why Cyberlink took away the direct DZ link?

There are many ways to access DZ, that is one of them.

Additionally, in each room, PIP Object Room, Particle Room, Title Room, Transition Room, Create Disc Menu Pref area, there is a blue icon with a download arrow on it in the upper left of each library when all the content is selected. This takes you to DZ from each of the rooms that you might want to download a given template from. The icon usually says "Free Templates"

Jeff
Maybe there are WizMouse users here with feedback that may help me out.

I've used WizMouse for years. It's a light weight free utility that corrects something that really should be part of the Windows OS. As stated in the configuration pop-up, "When active, WizMouse sends all mouse wheel commands to the window under the mouse pointer instead of to the currently focused window. You no longer have to click on a window to focus it before you're able to scroll it with your mouse wheel."

I've used it so long I take it for granted. No need to constantly be clicking on a window to scroll it. As said above, no matter where you are and what window has focus, whatever's under the cursor can be scrolled.

But WizMouse isn't working with PD15. It worked as it should in PD11. In the main Timeline tracks area, we're all constantly needing to wheel up and down to get to the tracks we need. I've always been able to whiz right up or down in an instant. In PD15, the wheel will only go a short distance and stop. I click in the work area, try again, it doesn't move - I now have to keep going over to the right and use the dreaded scroll bar. Argh!-- this is a major work-flow hassle - for me, a step back to a more primitive technology I left behind many years ago and I can't stand it. Scroll bars? Yikes.

Any solutions or tips?

Randy B.
Jeff, a quick follow up. I see that using Search at DZ, I can retrieve missing things as needed, getting the specific old items if I know their names. Fine.

But PD15 doesn't have the direct DZ link at the upper left as in PD11. I'm getting to DZ by clicking the question mark then selecting "Download Free Templates." That looks like the only way to do that now. I wonder why Cyberlink took away the direct DZ link?

I thought maybe I'd find these missing "Tripod Cover" files at DZ - they're not there. Still a mystery why these new items are in the Program folder for PD15 but not showing up in the program.

RB
Go to: