Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Windows update settings turned off every time I use PD15
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Is this a known issue? - Every time I use PD15, an alert pops up from the Windows Action Center - the flag at the bottom right of the PC icon tray. My setting to "install updates automatically" has been turned off - I turn it back on. All remains fine until I use PD again, then, same thing happens again. Every time.

Known? A fix available? Or do I just continue fixing that every time - which is no gigantic hassle, but it obviously shouldn't be happening.

rbowser
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Randy -

My PC is set to do automatic Windows updates too - but using PDR15 has no impact on that.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Randy -

My PC is set to do automatic Windows updates too - but using PDR15 has no impact on that.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for the reply, Tony. I wonder what's going on? I can report with complete confidence that the updates are turned off every time I open PD15. I've opened and closed the program almost 10 times since I posted - each time, the red mark appeared on the Action Center flag, alerting me that my automatic updates have been turned off.

Odd.

rbowser
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Leave your pc on overnight without PD15. More than likely you will probably see your auto updates turned off maybe because of a Trojan which bypass your antivirus.
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Leave your pc on overnight without PD15. More than likely you will probably see your auto updates turned off maybe because of a Trojan which bypass your antivirus.

Ah! Thanks for the advice, tomasc. Interesting! -- If it's true that a Trojan is causing this, why do I get the message that updates are turned off every time I open PD? Without fail - I mean literally I open PD, within a minute I get the warning. Doesn't happen under any other circumstances. If it's a Trojan, then it's embedded in PD?--is that what you think may be the case?

rbowser
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
See this link for possible fixes : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-update-setting-keeps-being-turned-off/84ab00e3-f339-4eaf-b1b1-d88928971965 .
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for that - but I don't use AVG, so that fix doesn't apply. I use Avast, and I've tried turning it off temporarily while using PD, and that doesn't solve the issue.

I get the impression from the replies, though, that my problem isn't known, it could be unique I guess. Head scratching. Thanks for the replies.

rbowser