Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Jerky playback - have changed back to VLC as default player
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not finding much, if anything, to be impressed about with this new PowerDVD16 purchase. Earlier I posted about hearing an unwanted reverb being added to videos I'd produced myself. Then I discovered that turning off the so-called "True Theater" audio fixed that problem.

Now, by comparing playback both in PowerDVD and the great VLC media player, I see that PowerDVD definitely adds a jerky, drop-frame look to playback. Playing the same videos in VLC - perfectly smooth. I tried turning off the Video portion of "True Theater," but that didn't change the jerky playback.

How PowerDVD is any kind of improvement over things I already had is completely escaping me.

Randy B.
[Post New]
Quote I'm not finding much, if anything, to be impressed about with this new PowerDVD16 purchase. Earlier I posted about hearing an unwanted reverb being added to videos I'd produced myself. Then I discovered that turning off the so-called "True Theater" audio fixed that problem.

Now, by comparing playback both in PowerDVD and the great VLC media player, I see that PowerDVD definitely adds a jerky, drop-frame look to playback. Playing the same videos in VLC - perfectly smooth. I tried turning off the Video portion of "True Theater," but that didn't change the jerky playback.

How PowerDVD is any kind of improvement over things I already had is completely escaping me.

Randy B.

Hi rbowser,

There are various factors that may affect the video playback condition.

What format of video files you played back have this problem? (MP4, MKV, M2TS)
Any video encoding info can be shared to us for further diagnosis? (H.264, HEVC, MPEG2, color depth, chroma subsampling)
DxDiag is also helpful for PC platform checking.

How to get DxDiag:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=6310

You may also get graphic driver updates from your GPU vendor (Intel/nVidia/AMD) support page to check if it help the playback problem with PowerDVD.

Beside of that, for the problem under certain platform, I recommend you to directly contact the customer support:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp

Greetings,
Chuck
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply, Chuck

Videos of all formats have this slightly jerky playback problem. The same videos all play perfectly smoothly in VLC, in Plex, and other media players I already have, so I'm content. I'll just chalk up this PowerDVD element of my Director Suite 5 purchase as a dud. I appreciate your suggestions, but I'll just leave this as it is.

Randy B.

Quote I'm not finding much, if anything, to be impressed about with this new PowerDVD16 purchase. Earlier I posted about hearing an unwanted reverb being added to videos I'd produced myself. Then I discovered that turning off the so-called "True Theater" audio fixed that problem.

Randy B.

Hi rbowser,

There are various factors that may affect the video playback condition.

What format of video files you played back have this problem? (MP4, MKV, M2TS)
Any video encoding info can be shared to us for further diagnosis? (H.264, HEVC, MPEG2, color depth, chroma subsampling)
DxDiag is also helpful for PC platform checking.

How to get DxDiag:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=6310

You may also get graphic driver updates from your GPU vendor (Intel/nVidia/AMD) support page to check if it help the playback problem with PowerDVD.

Beside of that, for the problem under certain platform, I recommend you to directly contact the customer support:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/contact-support.jsp

Greetings,
Chuck