CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote That answers that. Very helpful reply. Thank you.

Only question I would have left is does anyone have 3D stereoscopic working on Windows 10 through any adaptor like display port or usb-c other than an HDMI port?.

Just curious but what does PowerDVD think your non HDMI 3D display is when the "Auto detect 3D display" is enabled in the settings? For me via HDMI it is "HDMI 1.4 enabled 3D TV (1080p 24hz)" which is what I use but quite by chance I found that if I disable the auto and manually select "Micro-polarizer LCD 3D (row-interleaved)" it also plays in 3D. It does not seem to trigger the TVs 3D mode (no icon shows) but it is definetly 3D when viewed through the glasses (passive). I assumed that PowerDVD was doing some kind of conversion but not really sure, might be worth a try.
BTW I bought the AMD RX 570 for the HW HEVC decode and HDMI 2.2 capabilities, for 3D a much cheaper card will suffice and also the RX range is now not so expensive.smile
Quote I just realized might sound like I'm telling people to buy the most expensive graphic card available. Absolutely not. I think most important thing is it's got an HDMI port directly integrated into the graphic card. I'm not sure if AMD would also work. My Nvidia has a setting called 3D TV play and this switches on when I enable 3D display under window settings. I think any NVIDIA card from last several years would work fine. Would be interested with anyone using an AMD card if 3D stereoscopic blu ray playback works with PowerDVD too.

I'm using an AMD RX570 and 3D playback on HDMI (Disk, .iso and .mkv) works fine now (had problems recently see here). I used to have an Nvidia GTX 1050Ti but always struggled to get 3D working reliably with it, sold it in the end. The AMD cards just plays 3D, no setup required or manual switch in win 10. That said I do still get the occaisional dropout of 3D on Bluray menues (goes to 2D) and I have to re-enable the "Playback 3D Media in 3D" in the PowerDVD settingsto get 3D back.

Hi
Per your request.

Original Ticket number:- CS001965282 raised on or around the 13-Dec-2018

New Ticket number:- CS001988748 raised on 10-Feb-2019

Thanks and regards

Just to confirm I have removed the Beta patch and installed a modified file, supplied via the new ticket CS001988748, on top of update 2307 and 3D playback is now working well.smile

I have also closed the ticket.
Regards

Making us aware of an issue is helpful, but please also submit a support ticket for the new issue and reply here with the ticket number, which we will pass on.

Also send us the ticket number for the original issue you mentioned for references, i.e. send us two ticket numbers.

What we can do is pass them, along with your comments, on to the CyberLink customer service.

Cheers
PowerDVD Moderator

Hi
Per your request.

Original Ticket number:- CS001965282 raised on or around the 13-Dec-2018

New Ticket number:- CS001988748 raised on 10-Feb-2019

Thanks and regards
Quote I think that if their engineering team modified any files specifically for your platform, then it is not recommended to simply patch it with some other versions as this patch is still in beta.

As explained in my post, the devs removed the modified file(s) as part of their cleanup leaving me with again with a PowerDVD that crashed any time I tried to play 3D. I had no option but to go back to the non-updated version (my original purchase). The support ticket for the crash on 3D after 2307 update was closed following the arrangement of the remote session without further comment. The post here requests feedback when trying out the beta patch but gives no further info on where to send the feedback!
Hi
Further to raising a support ticket I participated in a CyberLink Remote Investigation in which a modified file was tested which completely resolved the crash/3D playback problem I had. This file was removed during the cleanup which again left me with PowerDVD crashing whenever I tried to play a 3D vid or disk. I subsequently re-installed my base version which works and did not install any updates. Today I noticed this beta patch was available which seemed to address my problem, I installed the latest updates then the beta patch and indeed I can now play 3D but unlike the testing done in the remote investigation it is not a complete fix.
The problem I now have is that when attempting to play a 3D disk or image during loading I see the TV switch to 3D mode but when the the menu is displayed it is in 2D and any playback remains in 2D. If I check the PowerDVD 3D settings the "Play 3D media in 3D" setting has been reset. At that point if I change the setting for 3D the display will switch to 3D mode and the disk will play in 3D without problem. This is a 100% hard failure for me. 3D videos (.mkv/mvc)play in 3D without problem, but of course they do not have menus.
I have seen and I believe reported this issue previously. possibly for PowerDVD 15, so hopefully it is a known problem that can be easily fixed, here's hoping.
Not sure if this is the correct place to report this issue, I have also raised a further ticket, please let me know.
Regards
Quote Same problem here. It's a bug in the actual version of PowerDVD 18, no matter what Blu-ray drive you use.
At present the only fix seems to be AnyDVD HD which allows you to enjoy the slightly enhanced playback quality of PowerDVD 18.

Well my version of PowerDVD 18 plays DVD and BD disks, Can you elaberate what version you have. With a a legal DVD/Bluray player you should not need to resort to a legally questionable product like AnyDVD to play back original disks.
Lacking any expert or informed response here, I am going to assume the message I'm getting is from the Bluray disk itself in response to the player (PowerDVD 18 ) not being capable of playing 3D (i.e. because the "Play 3D Media in 3D" box is unticked), rather than an error from PowerDVD itself.
Having said that seeing as PowerDVD does detect other conditions that inhibit 3D playback and issues an error, e.g. not being in fullscreen, I could wish that it would similarly error when the "Play 3D Media in 3D" box is unticked and before the disk playback gets underway and reports a very misleading error.
Quote Hi, I don't have the solution but just curious if you tried the Bluray Advisor and what is the result of the 3D check?

Yes, first thing I did when I got the error, all 3D playback requirements come up green/ticked.
I have for some time been struggling the get 3D playback working reliably and have posted a ticket CS001907202 2 days ago detailing this. Basically when I start a 3D disk or .iso my TV initially switches to 3D mode (HDMI 1080 24hz) but by the time the disk menu is displayed it has gone back to 2D and the PowerDVD 18 setting "Play 3D Media in 3D" has been de-activated. Manually setting the option to 3D again will restart the movie and it will play in 3D till the end but restarting the same movie or a new 3D movie will result in the same problem. Playing back 3D .mkv rips in 3D works perfectly.

Is anyone else seeing this? I'm running Win 10 x64 (1803 all updates) with an AMD RX570 GPU.

Also further to this problem and not reported (to avoid posting 2 issues) in the ticket, is a further problem I noticed. If I attempt to play a 3D disk or .iso when the "Play 3D Media in 3D" setting is not ticked then PowerDVD 18 errors saying it has not detected a 3D capable display and returns to main menu. I would suggest a more appropriate error message should be displayed and playback continue in 2D mode.

Ok.
Will the amd gpu be supported any time soon?

Regards
Anders

I would like to second that question, failing to support AMD GPUs in this respect is, I believe, a serious failing!
Quote Since I have installed the Win 10 FCU (1709) I have not been able to play 3D bluray disks, it was working fine before the update. In Clasic mode it will most often (60% of the time) say my hardware is not 3D capable but on a retry will play in 3D OK, also it works 100% if I select 720x1280 50hz but with a reduced screen size. In Cinema mode after a lot of flashing between a blackscreen, the gui, desktop and sometimes with the TVs 3D notification it eventually hangs and I have to hit the power button and reboot. 2D bluray and DVDs still play OK.
I know there have been issues with Nvidia GPUs but I'm currently using an AMD RX 570 with the very latest driver.
Anyone else seen this problem and/or come up with a fix???
I have opened a ticket with support but no luck so far with their suggestions

3D playback with PowerDVD 15 has returned from the dead for me after updating Win 10 to 1803 (Spring update).smile
Yes, me too. was a great well working software. cry

Pretty sure is not JRiver: I installed it after discover that PDVD not working.
I'm not sure if I have .net 3.5. Is not into my installed updates list, and I never try Media Portal.

Just wanted to let you know that following the Windows update to 1803 my PowerDVD 18 now plays 3D reliably in HDMI 1.4 1080 mode.laughing. My old PowerDVD 15 has also started working again after the 1803 updatesmile so it looks like I have made an unnecessary purchase.undecided
Maybe. Really I don't know.
But I know that:

• Arcsoft Total Media Theater worked perfectly for long time (dismissed years ago it continued to work until microsoft meltdown patches. Now is dead and that's the main reason I buy PDVD);

• WinDvd, actual version, works (but the entire software is terrible, full of advertisings... seem a virus!);

• JRiver actual version works;

So is really hard to me trust that should be only a monitor problem. I continue to think is a PDVD related incompatibility.

I am a long time user of PDVD going back to ver 11, but got a free version of TMT (came with a BD disk player) and liked it much better, real shame Arcsoft dropped it and Win finally killed it off.

I got a response to my ticket saying they could not reproduce my problem and sugeesting it might be interaction with other software and I'm inclined to aggree. As mentioned previously I have now done a fresh install of Win 10 1709 (formatted the disk first and everything new) then straight away installed PowerDVD 18 tried it with 3D and it worked perfectly.smile. I then installed Media Portal 1 which is my HTPC software (again a clean basic install, not from backup etc.) and my problem returned even when Media Portal is not running.frownNot sure where to go now
If you are sure its not the monitor then maybe Jriver.
P.S. Do you have Net Framework 3.5 enabled??? (Not std with Win 10 but required for Media Portal)
Me too, but simply don't. The video don't start, PDVD return to main screen and stop.
As QC2.0 wrote seem my monitor use 720p when switch to 3DTV mode, that's terrible to see. Is the reason I want to trty to use micropolarized view bypassing the 3DTV mode. For example I try to use JRIver (version 24) and works perfectly. PDVD should do the same, using exactly the same logic applied to "anaglyph red-cyan" vision: in this case take the couple 3D frames, create a red-cyan new frame and send it to the monitor without touch anything else. So no switch to 3DTV mode, no force 24p, no change colors and so on. Why they cannot do the same for micropolarized? Simply take the 2 frames, create a new one with interleaved rows (one for left, one for right and so on) and then send to the monitor as every other video image.

OK I am now the owner of PowerDVD 18 and have tried playing a 3D Bluray disk with micropolarized mode see settings screenshot attached and it worked 100% for me over several different disks. Maybe your monitor???
Playing 3D .mkvs also works well for me but what does not work reliably for me is 3D Bluray disks/.iso in HDMI 1080 24hz mode. Its weird it regularly resets the "Play 3D media in 3D" setting sometime after starting intro etc. in 3D and before getting to the menu and then continues in 2D, changing the setting back to 3D on the fly usually gets it back in 3D mode but not always, then I have to restart PDVD. I have raised a ticket about this but I can hardly believe how many other errors in navigation, info and other minor issues I have already found. It seems to be so full of bugs I'm going to give Cyberlink the benefit of the doubt and do a clean install of Win 10 1709 and try again.
Quote I try to see a 3D bluray using the "micropolarized" option into 3d preferences. PDVD simply does not start... try but return to the home screen and say that the cannot use the hardware.
My monitor is a LG D2342P and has hdmi 1.4. I cannot use "auto selection" because switching do 24hz a bug into monitor make resolution worse.. impossible to see.

So will be perfet if "micropolarized" option will works... any chance?

I think this should work. I can't say for certain with PowerDVD 18 (I'm still on the trial version and very sadly that has no 3Dyell).

BUT it does work with my Phillips pfl5008t TV connected via HDMI 2.* to my HTPC with PowerDVD 15. My reason for using this config. is that following the Win 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) 1080 3D in Cinema mode died with PowerDVD 15, although I could still play the same 3D content in 3D via MPC-HC/LAV Filters, but without menus/BD disk etc. As a workaround I tried using the Micropolarized option and it works well. Unlike when Auto or HDMI 1.4 1080 is selected the TV does not report it is in 3D mode, so not sure whether there is some sort of converstion going on but the 3D effect is just as good and it works.laughing
I will be buying 18 in a couple of days (really like the trial version and hopefully it will resolve the 3D problem I have with 15) so should be able to confirm then, or maybe someone else could give it a try sooner.
I'm using an AMD GPU.
Quote Does CyberLink even answer trouble tickets? I have 2 tickets that have been open for a week regarding PowerDVD 16 and 17. The self help is worthless because the filters do not work, and I`m not about to sift through over 2500 FAQ`s or help topics. And paying for phone support is a rip off for a product that I just bought.

CYBERLINK IS THE WORST FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!
They only care about making the sale and then screw the end user. They offer a 30 day return, I feel everyone should BOYCOTT CYBERLINK AND ASK FOR A FULL REFUND. I got products from other companies and perfect support. CYBERLINK is a JOKE!!!!

I do not agree! On the contrary, over the past 5 years I have raised quite a fewl tickets, most recently a month ago for problems with PowerDVD 15 but despite being now far from the latest version I have to date received several usefull responses, they haven't fixed it but did come up with a workaround and confirmed it was fixed in version 17. With Cyberlink support I have always received a helpfull and friendly service, may not always be the fastest but definitely not the worst or even close to the worst. I have used other companies that never even responded to support tickets, emails, telephone calls and even in one case a letter from my lawyer. So believe me things could be much worse.
Since I have installed the Win 10 FCU (1709) I have not been able to play 3D bluray disks, it was working fine before the update. In Clasic mode it will most often (60% of the time) say my hardware is not 3D capable but on a retry will play in 3D OK, also it works 100% if I select 720x1280 50hz but with a reduced screen size. In Cinema mode after a lot of flashing between a blackscreen, the gui, desktop and sometimes with the TVs 3D notification it eventually hangs and I have to hit the power button and reboot. 2D bluray and DVDs still play OK.
I know there have been issues with Nvidia GPUs but I'm currently using an AMD RX 570 with the very latest driver.
Anyone else seen this problem and/or come up with a fix???
I have opened a ticket with support but no luck so far with their suggestions
Quote Hi Joecrow,

The trial version has some limitations:
https://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/powerdvd-ultra/download_en_EU.html?affid=2581_1274_540

It does not support the playback of HEVC/H.265/Blu-ray 3D/Ultra HD Blu-ray/HDR Video/360 Video content.
If you are not satisfied with your purchase, we offer a 30 days money back guarantee.

Just visit this page https://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-ultra/features_en_EU.html and click on "Upgrade now". There you can see the money-back guarantee.

Greetings,
Hicham

Hi Hicham

Thanks for the info. I followed your advice and purchased an upgrade. I tried for several hours using latest, older, very old drivers and many combinations of settings, all to no avail, sadly, like PowerDVD 15, I was not able to get 3D working with my Nvidia GPU for playback of 3D Bluray disks (or indeed any 3D) . It works great with an AMD GPU and the Nvidia will play 3D via MPC-HC&Madvr++, so it seems that this old issue is not resolved with PVD17, I don't doubt it is mostly an Nvidia issue.

Compliments on PowerDVD17, particularly TV mode, nice main GUI, and generally looks very good, though I felt the text "Info" GUI that comes up across the screen durring BD playback is nowhere near as slick as the bottom of the screen PDVD15 version.

On the negative side I found several BD images that failed (no playback whether mounted via Win 10 or PVD17) which were OK in 15 and 3D .mkv/mvc played in 2D only (even with the AMD GPU).

After carefull consideration I have uninstalled 17, reinstalled 15 and applied for a refund. Not sure I understand the logic of not including 3D in the trial version it is not exactly a new feature anymore and it would have been much simpler for me to trial it rather than purchase and refund.
Quote Since x7007 and Sleasyridr have hijacked this thread would they at least confirm that they were able to play 3D Blurays using Nvidia GPUs and PowerDVD 17, also what if anything they needed to do extra to get it working e.g. change default settings etc.

I didn't hjacked, I just confirmed what is happening to me..... what ........ all that I wrote I said I have an issue and powerDVD17 doesn't work with 3D

Well and again, it doesn't work for me in 3D if it's not understood

Sorry but it looked to me like you were reporting a new problem following the installation of the Win 10 Creators Fall update.

So was 3D playback working for you before the update and if so did you need to do anything with the settings etc. to get it working with an Nvidia GPU or did it work out of the box?
Go to: