Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
3D Output broke on Surface Book 2
lxf12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 28, 2015 16:18 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
If anyone can get PowerDVD 18 to output stereoscopic 3d 1080p 24 hz to an HDMI 1.4 compliant 3d TV through the Microsoft usb-c to hdmi adapter please let me know. I think it is broke on Windows 10 ver 1803. Have tried everything including clean reinstall of windows and loading most recent Nvidia and Intel display drivers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 19. 2018 15:29

lxf12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Still broke after 1815 patch. 3D not working on surface book 2. Plays in 2D although says outputting in 3D.
lxf12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yep. Still broke. Has anyone had a 3D BluRay play correctly using Windows 10 and latest PowerDVD 18? Or is this feature broke but PowerDVD still advertising it as a feature.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yep. Still broke. Has anyone had a 3D BluRay play correctly using Windows 10 and latest PowerDVD 18? Or is this feature broke but PowerDVD still advertising it as a feature.

Do you have other PCs that does not need to apply a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter to connect 3D display?
Play 3D BluRays on the PCs to check it.

I guess that the USB-C conversion is the key.
lxf12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Unfortunately, I only have my $3,000 surface book 2 with an integrated Intel 8th generation UHD 620 graphics processor plus an NVIDIA 1060 GPU. I'm also using microsoft's own adapter along with latest drivers and also latest windows 10 updates. Kind of thought this would work with PowerDVD 18. After all I can't be the only person with a surface book 2. I hear they're quite popular.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 23. 2018 21:49

lxf12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Won't be renewing my PowerDVD Live Subscription when it runs out if 3D not fixed. Really feel sad as I've enjoyed this program many years watching 3D movies but now seems program not getting the suport to keep it working. 3D broke for me since using Windows 10 and I'm starting to think wont be fixed even though I'm using a very common set up. For what its worth here is the results when I ran Blu Ray 3D advisor on my home set up.
 Filename
CyberLink_Advior_Log_20180823_220632.html
[Disk]
 Description
Blu-Ray Advisor Report
 Filesize
10 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
343 time(s)
sean_sk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2014 02:18 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
lxf12 did you get this working?

I have a Microsoft Surface Book 2 as well, and according to it's specifications, it should play 3D Blu-ray ISO's fine to my 3D caapable BenQ projector. Yet, it doesn't work with PowerDVD 14. PowerDVD 14 cannot detect my projector as 3D capable. PowerDVD 14 plays 3D Blu-ray movies fine with my desktop PC but I would prefer to use the Surface Book 2 as I don't have to put up with fan noise while watching a movie.

I was going to buy PowerDVD 18 to see if it would fix the issue, but seeing how lxf12 is saying that it also doesn't work, I think I won't bother buying it. Cyberlink can you fix please?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 13. 2019 06:26

lxf12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not working still. I can confirm broke on surface book 2. Because I love 3D so much I bought s desktop Alienware with a 2080 card. My 3D setup works when I plug this card directly through HDMI out but not through cards display port or usb-c output. Therefore issue I think is that surface book 2 doesn’t have an HDMI port but uses an Usb-c instead. Sorry I don’t have better news. Would love to have my laptop working for when I’m showing movies outside with my projector. Has anyone had PowerDVD output stereoscopic 3D on anything but an HDMI output?
sean_sk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2014 02:18 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply lxf12.

Did I understand you correctly that your RTX 2080 has a USB-C output and 3D Blu-ray playback was also not playing out through that port, and not even out through the display port? That's bizzarre.

I noticed that when I hook up my Surface Book 2 to the projector "Desplay settings" then comes up with an option to tick Sterescopic 3D, so Windows 10 1803 itself is detecting that my projector is 3D capable. PowerDVD just refuses to work.

You mentioned earlier that you believe it broke with Windows 10 1803. Did you ever have Windows 10 1709 previously installed on your Surface Book 2 and did it work with that? Or hadn't you tried?

Once again thanks for the info.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
3D displaying capability is not equal to 3D Blu-ray playback compatbility.
Once DRM is involved, what the marjor concern is compatibility, GPU or connection type's capability can no longer explain those BS.

This fact is well and notoriously presented at Ultra HD Blu-ray playback requirement on a PC.
But, I understand that it is simply not acceptable for gamers who invest a lot on high-end hardware.
lxf12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah. That is what I meant. My nvidia 3d 2080 ti oc 11gb card has several dispaly ports, one hdmi port and also a usb-c port. I have the microsoft usb-c to hdmi adapter and also purchased a display port to hdmi adapter. I used both to try to output 3d stereoscopic blu ray 3d to my hdmi 3d tv. Neither worked and had same issue with usb-c I did with my surface book 2 where output was 2D.

I am happy the 3D works as before using the HDMI output. I use windows 10 and under display properties select 3D. After this when I use Cyberlink 3D 18 it plays 3D Blu Ray correctly. This is only thing that has worked for me and I've also tested and had same results with my Epson 2150 3D projector.

I suspect only HMDI ports now ever work with stereoscopic 3D but I can confirm wasn't always the case and was able many years ago to use my Surface Pro 3 using Microsoft's Micro Dispaly Port to HDMI adapter. It worked on the same HDMI 1.4 3D TV I'm still using. I think ever since windows 10, I havn't had 3D stereoscpopic blu ray working on anything other than an direct HDMI port. May have worked briefly with the preview insider builds but that was it.

Kind of sad really but I think NVIDIA is to thank for it working at all now and I suspect those working on PowerDVD know this too or otherwise arn't focused on this issue and think 4K is way to go. I still like using both my eyes. Not buying an eye patch anytime soon. I will keep my license renewing for PowerDVD live now that I can use it with my desktop. I just wish laptop worked too because I sometime would want to use it on a screen in back yard to impress neighbors.
lxf12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I just realized might sound like I'm telling people to buy the most expensive graphic card available. Absolutely not. I think most important thing is it's got an HDMI port directly integrated into the graphic card. I'm not sure if AMD would also work. My Nvidia has a setting called 3D TV play and this switches on when I enable 3D display under window settings. I think any NVIDIA card from last several years would work fine. Would be interested with anyone using an AMD card if 3D stereoscopic blu ray playback works with PowerDVD too.
Joecrow [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jun 03, 2011 02:52 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just realized might sound like I'm telling people to buy the most expensive graphic card available. Absolutely not. I think most important thing is it's got an HDMI port directly integrated into the graphic card. I'm not sure if AMD would also work. My Nvidia has a setting called 3D TV play and this switches on when I enable 3D display under window settings. I think any NVIDIA card from last several years would work fine. Would be interested with anyone using an AMD card if 3D stereoscopic blu ray playback works with PowerDVD too.

I'm using an AMD RX570 and 3D playback on HDMI (Disk, .iso and .mkv) works fine now (had problems recently see here). I used to have an Nvidia GTX 1050Ti but always struggled to get 3D working reliably with it, sold it in the end. The AMD cards just plays 3D, no setup required or manual switch in win 10. That said I do still get the occaisional dropout of 3D on Bluray menues (goes to 2D) and I have to re-enable the "Playback 3D Media in 3D" in the PowerDVD settingsto get 3D back.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 01. 2019 11:56

Joe
lxf12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That answers that. Very helpful reply. Thank you.

Only question I would have left is does anyone have 3D stereoscopic working on Windows 10 through any adaptor like display port or usb-c other than an HDMI port?

I may be wrong but I highly suspect an HDMI port is the only thing that will work and adaptors from other types wont work. I've not found anything my self but then again this doesn't prove anything.

If it is true, would be nice if cyberlink added this to their product discription to save users the hassel of figuring it out ourselves. Say something like "3D Blu Ray playback available through compatible HDMI ports on Windows 10". Sounds good and users wouldn't have frustration when trying it through other connections.
Joecrow [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jun 03, 2011 02:52 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Quote That answers that. Very helpful reply. Thank you.

Only question I would have left is does anyone have 3D stereoscopic working on Windows 10 through any adaptor like display port or usb-c other than an HDMI port?.

Just curious but what does PowerDVD think your non HDMI 3D display is when the "Auto detect 3D display" is enabled in the settings? For me via HDMI it is "HDMI 1.4 enabled 3D TV (1080p 24hz)" which is what I use but quite by chance I found that if I disable the auto and manually select "Micro-polarizer LCD 3D (row-interleaved)" it also plays in 3D. It does not seem to trigger the TVs 3D mode (no icon shows) but it is definetly 3D when viewed through the glasses (passive). I assumed that PowerDVD was doing some kind of conversion but not really sure, might be worth a try.
BTW I bought the AMD RX 570 for the HW HEVC decode and HDMI 2.2 capabilities, for 3D a much cheaper card will suffice and also the RX range is now not so expensive.smile

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06. 2019 06:58

Joe