Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
3D with micropolarized monitor
Gianluca_Rigotti [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 10, 2007 15:14 Messages: 75 Offline
[Post New]
I try to see a 3D bluray using the "micropolarized" option into 3d preferences. PDVD simply does not start... try but return to the home screen and say that the cannot use the hardware.
My monitor is a LG D2342P and has hdmi 1.4. I cannot use "auto selection" because switching do 24hz a bug into monitor make resolution worse.. impossible to see.

So will be perfet if "micropolarized" option will works... any chance?
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I try to see a 3D bluray using the "micropolarized" option into 3d preferences. PDVD simply does not start... try but return to the home screen and say that the cannot use the hardware.
My monitor is a LG D2342P and has hdmi 1.4. I cannot use "auto selection" because switching do 24hz a bug into monitor make resolution worse.. impossible to see.

If you connect your 3D TV via HDMI 1.4, you should select "HDMI 1.4 3D" no matter what your 3D display device type is.
HDMI 1.4 3D protocol is on top of them (e.g. Polarized, 120Hz, etc.), and it will do the 3D signal proccessing on display device side.

Did you try the option maunally?
[Post New]
Quote Did you try the option maunally?
Of course. But as I wrote in the first post the monitor has a bug into firmware and when it move to 24p via hdmi 1.4 the resolution go to 720 (the monitor is 1080 native) and colors scrambled completely. The problem is that using the auto selection on pdvd via hdmi the program change the refresh to 24p moving the monitor to the bug. And there is no way to force to return to 50p. I search for years a way to mantain correct resolution and colors when this monitor switch to 24p but wihtout success.

The solution will be really easy: let the "micropolarized" option to work. For example I try to use the "anaglyph cyan-magenta" option and it works... So why the "micropolarized" no? I pay for it, right? Is a big deal let it to work?

Another solution should be change the monitor, but is very expensive... Better to have a declared option in the software (remember, I pay for it), simply to works.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
If I understand your description correctly, your monitor has problem performing 3D under "HDMI 1.4 1080P" (becasue of the firmware as you said), but only works for "HDMI 1.4 720P".

Just as I said previously, per my understanding, HDMI 1.4 3D protocol is on top of micro-polarized. it's not appropriate to select it as micro polarized if it has applied with HDMI.
If you already connects your 3D monitor via HDMI 1.4 cable, then it will apply HDMI 1.4 3D protocol to process 3D signal for your 3D display. It does not matter if your 3D display type is polarized 3D, 120Hz 3D, or legacy checkerboard.

Does your LG display support 3D via DVI-D? How about using DVI-D connection to escape HDMI 1.4 3D processing?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 23. 2018 23:17

Joecrow [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jun 03, 2011 02:52 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I try to see a 3D bluray using the "micropolarized" option into 3d preferences. PDVD simply does not start... try but return to the home screen and say that the cannot use the hardware.

I think this should work. I can't say for certain with PowerDVD 18 (I'm still on the trial version and very sadly that has no 3Dyell).

BUT it does work with my Phillips pfl5008t TV connected via HDMI 2.* to my HTPC with PowerDVD 15. My reason for using this config. is that following the Win 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) 1080 3D in Cinema mode died with PowerDVD 15, although I could still play the same 3D content in 3D via MPC-HC/LAV Filters, but without menus/BD disk etc. As a workaround I tried using the Micropolarized option and it works well. Unlike when Auto or HDMI 1.4 1080 is selected the TV does not report it is in 3D mode, so not sure whether there is some sort of converstion going on but the 3D effect is just as good and it works.laughing
I will be buying 18 in a couple of days (really like the trial version and hopefully it will resolve the 3D problem I have with 15) so should be able to confirm then, or maybe someone else could give it a try sooner.
I'm using an AMD GPU.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 24. 2018 07:21

Joe
[Post New]
Quote I think this should work...
Me too, but simply don't. The video don't start, PDVD return to main screen and stop.
As QC2.0 wrote seem my monitor use 720p when switch to 3DTV mode, that's terrible to see. Is the reason I want to trty to use micropolarized view bypassing the 3DTV mode. For example I try to use JRIver (version 24) and works perfectly. PDVD should do the same, using exactly the same logic applied to "anaglyph red-cyan" vision: in this case take the couple 3D frames, create a red-cyan new frame and send it to the monitor without touch anything else. So no switch to 3DTV mode, no force 24p, no change colors and so on. Why they cannot do the same for micropolarized? Simply take the 2 frames, create a new one with interleaved rows (one for left, one for right and so on) and then send to the monitor as every other video image.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 25. 2018 07:48

Joecrow [Avatar]
[Post New]
Me too, but simply don't. The video don't start, PDVD return to main screen and stop.
As QC2.0 wrote seem my monitor use 720p when switch to 3DTV mode, that's terrible to see. Is the reason I want to trty to use micropolarized view bypassing the 3DTV mode. For example I try to use JRIver (version 24) and works perfectly. PDVD should do the same, using exactly the same logic applied to "anaglyph red-cyan" vision: in this case take the couple 3D frames, create a red-cyan new frame and send it to the monitor without touch anything else. So no switch to 3DTV mode, no force 24p, no change colors and so on. Why they cannot do the same for micropolarized? Simply take the 2 frames, create a new one with interleaved rows (one for left, one for right and so on) and then send to the monitor as every other video image.

OK I am now the owner of PowerDVD 18 and have tried playing a 3D Bluray disk with micropolarized mode see settings screenshot attached and it worked 100% for me over several different disks. Maybe your monitor???
Playing 3D .mkvs also works well for me but what does not work reliably for me is 3D Bluray disks/.iso in HDMI 1080 24hz mode. Its weird it regularly resets the "Play 3D media in 3D" setting sometime after starting intro etc. in 3D and before getting to the menu and then continues in 2D, changing the setting back to 3D on the fly usually gets it back in 3D mode but not always, then I have to restart PDVD. I have raised a ticket about this but I can hardly believe how many other errors in navigation, info and other minor issues I have already found. It seems to be so full of bugs I'm going to give Cyberlink the benefit of the doubt and do a clean install of Win 10 1709 and try again.
[Thumb - Unbenannt.jpg]
 Filename
Unbenannt.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
378 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 25. 2018 09:37

Joe
[Post New]
Quote Maybe your monitor
Maybe. Really I don't know.
But I know that:

• Arcsoft Total Media Theater worked perfectly for long time (dismissed years ago it continued to work until microsoft meltdown patches. Now is dead and that's the main reason I buy PDVD);

• WinDvd, actual version, works (but the entire software is terrible, full of advertisings... seem a virus!);

• JRiver actual version works;

So is really hard to me trust that should be only a monitor problem. I continue to think is a PDVD related incompatibility.
Joecrow [Avatar]
[Post New]
Maybe. Really I don't know.
But I know that:

• Arcsoft Total Media Theater worked perfectly for long time (dismissed years ago it continued to work until microsoft meltdown patches. Now is dead and that's the main reason I buy PDVD);

• WinDvd, actual version, works (but the entire software is terrible, full of advertisings... seem a virus!);

• JRiver actual version works;

So is really hard to me trust that should be only a monitor problem. I continue to think is a PDVD related incompatibility.

I am a long time user of PDVD going back to ver 11, but got a free version of TMT (came with a BD disk player) and liked it much better, real shame Arcsoft dropped it and Win finally killed it off.

I got a response to my ticket saying they could not reproduce my problem and sugeesting it might be interaction with other software and I'm inclined to aggree. As mentioned previously I have now done a fresh install of Win 10 1709 (formatted the disk first and everything new) then straight away installed PowerDVD 18 tried it with 3D and it worked perfectly.smile. I then installed Media Portal 1 which is my HTPC software (again a clean basic install, not from backup etc.) and my problem returned even when Media Portal is not running.frownNot sure where to go now
If you are sure its not the monitor then maybe Jriver.
P.S. Do you have Net Framework 3.5 enabled??? (Not std with Win 10 but required for Media Portal)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 29. 2018 05:49

Joe
[Post New]
Quote I am a long time user of PDVD going back to ver 11, but got a free version of TMT (came with a BD disk player) and liked it much better, real shame Arcsoft dropped it and Win finally killed it of.
Yes, me too. was a great well working software. cry

Quote If you are sure its not the monitor then maybe Jriver.
P.S. Do you have Net Framework 3.5 enabled??? (Not std with Win 10 but required for Media Portal)
Pretty sure is not JRiver: I installed it after discover that PDVD not working.
I'm not sure if I have .net 3.5. Is not into my installed updates list, and I never try Media Portal.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 29. 2018 06:53

Joecrow [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, me too. was a great well working software. cry

Pretty sure is not JRiver: I installed it after discover that PDVD not working.
I'm not sure if I have .net 3.5. Is not into my installed updates list, and I never try Media Portal.

Just wanted to let you know that following the Windows update to 1803 my PowerDVD 18 now plays 3D reliably in HDMI 1.4 1080 mode.laughing. My old PowerDVD 15 has also started working again after the 1803 updatesmile so it looks like I have made an unnecessary purchase.undecided Joe
[Post New]
Quote Just wanted to let you know that following the Windows update to 1803 my PowerDVD 18 now plays 3D reliably in HDMI 1.4 1080 mod.laughing. My old PowerDVD 15 has also started working again after the 1803 updatesmile so it looks like I have made an unnecessary purchase.undecided
Happy for you. I just try and no lucky, nothing change for me.
lxf12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 28, 2015 16:18 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
3D Blu Ray playback is broke I have windows 10 1803 version and tried everything to get my Surface Book 2 to output 1080p stereoscopic 3d 24 hz to my HDMI 1.4. Using microsoft own usb-c hdmi adaptor. Nothing has worked. Only get 2d video. I started a ticket but nothing happened. Was asked to give screen shot of error although no error. Just getting 2d video.