Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Won't play DVDs or BDs
Gaile44 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 12, 2018 20:23 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have an LG BD player (external) which is seen by the computer and by PowerDVD18. The name of the disc is visible in the program, so I know it can read the disc. But when I try to play a DVD, the error message comes up "This type of disc is not supported" and when I try to play a Blu-ray Disc, the error message "Cyberlink could not decode the current video because of content protection. Try putting in the original copy of this video." Both the DVD and the BD are original copies of the videos bought by me. I've been working with customer support but so far no joy. I wonder if anyone else had this issue and has a fix. I have already tried LG's work throughs as well as Windows 10 work throughs.

Solution from the help desk: go into windows defender security settings and disable "controlled access folder". link here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046851/windows-10-controlled-folder-access-windows-defender-security-center

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 22. 2018 01:45

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Whether the disc drive can decode/play the DRM protected video correctly might still depend on its function status on Windows no matter it can read the title of a disc (because disc title reading is one of the simplest function).

Did you try any other DVD drives?
I think it is not difficult to find a DVD drive to test DVD playback function first.
Gaile44 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Whether the disc drive can decode/play the DRM protected video correctly might still depend on its function status on Windows no matter it can read the title of a disc (because disc title reading is one of the simplest function).

Did you try any other DVD drives?
I think it is not difficult to find a DVD drive to test DVD playback function first.

Yes, I have an internal ASUS DVD drive on this computer. The same thing happens with the DVDs: This disc is not supported.
excalibur [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2011 10:50 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem here. It's a bug in the actual version of PowerDVD 18, no matter what Blu-ray drive you use.
At present the only fix seems to be AnyDVD HD which allows you to enjoy the slightly enhanced playback quality of PowerDVD 18.
Gaile44 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Same problem here. It's a bug in the actual version of PowerDVD 18, no matter what Blu-ray drive you use.
At present the only fix seems to be AnyDVD HD which allows you to enjoy the slightly enhanced playback quality of PowerDVD 18.

well that's a more honest answer then I've been getting from the help desk! I have spent hours trying all their suggestions. I finally downloaded Leowo so I can watch my Netflix DVDs. Spend 80 bucks for a quality DVD player and end up downloading the free one with admittedly poorer quality picture and some stuttering but still at least I can watch my movies. I sincerely wish I could get my money back.
Joecrow [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jun 03, 2011 02:52 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Same problem here. It's a bug in the actual version of PowerDVD 18, no matter what Blu-ray drive you use.

Well my version of PowerDVD 18 plays DVD and BD disks, Can you elaberate what version you have. With a a legal DVD/Bluray player you should not need to resort to a legally questionable product like AnyDVD to play back original disks. Joe
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Try running this BD Advisor: https://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do . In the past I recalled that if there is any capture card detected or hardware setup on a pc for such, then hdcp fails and playing the disc is not allowed. That could be the problem. AnyDVD HD would then be needed to get around it.
excalibur [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 17, 2011 10:50 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Cyberlink's BD-Advisor tells me "sorry, you can't view blu-ray discs or DVDs because you don't have a blu-ray drive !".

I know that's a lie ...

My PC (ASUS Z270-WS, Nvidia GTX 1070, WHQD-monitor) has both an internal (LG) and external (USB) blu-ray drive. Interestingly, my ASUS Z270-WS mainboard is recommended by Cyberlink to support Ultra HD Blu-ray movie disc playback (https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=19860 )! Thus watching blu-rays with PowerDVD 16 or the Leawo Player (free download - but requiring a more powerful graphics card) is accurate. PowerDVD 18 version 1815 however (upgrade file downloaded directly from Cyberlink store) seems to have - once again - problems with the implementation of the new versions (UHD) of the copy protection (AACS 2.1, HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0 ) ! But with the help of AnyDVD HD (I recommend this software tool for every fan / collector of blu-ray movies - no problems anymore with the copy protection or the region-codes of blu-ray discs !), I was able to handle these annoying issues.

PowerDVD 18, nevertheless, still is the software Blu-ray player with the best picture and sound quality resp. videoplayback experience, so I don't regret upgrading from v16 to v18.

Note:

Hi Gaile44,

thanks for your info - unfortunately I didn't read your edited post before posting mine !

After disabling 'controlled access folder' (windows defender), PowerDVD 18 is worth its money and plays blu-ray discs, but Cyberlinks BD Advisor still finds 'no blu-ray drive' ...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 21. 2018 15:49

Gaile44 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Cyberlink's BD-Advisor tells me "sorry, you can't view blu-ray discs or DVDs because you don't have a blu-ray drive !".

I know that's a lie ...

My PC (ASUS Z270-WS, Nvidia GTX 1070, WHQD-monitor) has both an internal (LG) and external (USB) blu-ray drive. Interestingly, my ASUS Z270-WS mainboard is recommended by Cyberlink to support Ultra HD Blu-ray movie disc playback (https://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=19860 )! Thus watching blu-rays with PowerDVD 16 or the Leawo Player (free download - but requiring a more powerful graphics card) is accurate. PowerDVD 18 version 1815 however (upgrade file downloaded directly from Cyberlink store) seems to have - once again - problems with the implementation of the new versions (UHD) of the copy protection (AACS 2.1, HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0 ) ! But with the help of AnyDVD HD (I recommend this software tool for every fan / collector of blu-ray movies - no problems anymore with the copy protection or the region-codes of blu-ray discs !), I was able to handle these annoying issues.

PowerDVD 18, nevertheless, still is the software Blu-ray player with the best picture and sound quality resp. videoplayback experience, so I don't regret upgrading from v16 to v18.

Note:

Hi Gaile44,

thanks for your info - unfortunately I didn't read your edited post before posting mine !

After disabling 'controlled access folder' (windows defender), PowerDVD 18 is worth its money and plays blu-ray discs, but Cyberlinks BD Advisor still finds 'no blu-ray drive' ...

I'm so happy I could help I hope anyone else experiencing this issue sees my post so they don't have to spend the time and frustration I did getting it fixed.
Tam0 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 31, 2019 00:43 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I just bought the LG DVD drive, with the Cyber Link Media Suite, and the installation seemed to go fine. But when I put in a DVD to play, it reads the title, but won't allow me to play it. There's no error message; the play button just can't be selected/it's not reading it fully/running it. I have a pretty new computer and Windows 10. The solution to Gaile's problem doesn't work for me, because my system won't give me access to that folder. It's meant to be compatible with Windows 10, so I'm frustrated that it won't work, and I can't find the answer. Are there any other options to make it actually work, besides downloading an extra player? Seems ridiculous to have to do that, when I just bought one that's meant to work.

Has anyone else had or fixed this particular problem as well?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 31. 2019 01:01