Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks for your input,

It was not a rendering issue as complete project rendered fine into a variety of formats.

Further testing indicates problem caused by project being just beyond what 'smart fit' was capable of, original project was just over 2hrs 17mins, (giving approx 8.8gb) have trimmed to just over 2hrs 16mins (giving approx 8.7gb) and it successfully reduces it to just under 8.5gb, therefore burning successfully.

Just in the final stages of compiling a project onto a double layer DVD, project has ended up slightly bigger than I wanted, with PD burn module saying approx 8.8gb; bit more than the 8.5gb disc.

Thought would give 'smart fit' a try as have used it successfully before, (not with DL discs though) however it seems to stall at 23%

Gets to 23% quickly - then not further movement with the screen saying 'updating title profile settings' & 'checking menu settings'

PD freezes and have to open task manager to close it.

Is this likely to be

A Smart fit issue, i.e not functioning as it should?
Beyond smart fits abilities therefore causing this problem?

I have tried various other ways of reducing the overall project size (though not duration) with no improvement; I assume because the DVD burning module produces it in DVD quality whatever the size of the original file? (I tried producing the entire project firstly as mpeg file (7.74gb) then put it back into PD for the menu stage - no improvement, then tried mp4 (4.02gb) still no improvement.

Any suggestions as to ways to successfully get the project onto one DL disc, as appears to be quite close so seems a shame to have to go to a 2 disc set for the sake of 0.3gb. I do want some sort of menu but if there are other burning options happy to try them.

Did try 'burn to folder' option but still says exceeds the size of the disc, despite having loads of free HDD space.
Many thanks Carl for your input
I am part way through a fairly large project and can see that space on the final DVD may be an issue (Using standard DVD burner and double layer 8.5gb discs, for playing on standard DVD players) Project is mixture of video and stills in slideshows.

The original source video is in mpeg 2 format with AC3 audio (720 x 576 / 25 fps) and I now suspect that this will be the best format to use in the various 'produce' stages as I build up the complete project for burning. (currently had been using H.264 AVC having read the part where it says it uses a better compression ratio when compared to mpeg 2 to produce a video of similar quality but I now suspect this is wasted effort and possibly just using up valuable disc space?, having just tested a small part and produced a mpeg 2 file of 23mb compared to the original 63mb m2ts file! (slideshow of still photos)

So was intending to re-produce in mpeg 2 format but see there is a variety of options, should I just stick with the default DVD HQ 720 x 576/50i 8mbps, or is there a more suitable option?

Another couple of related question -

- when producing the still slideshows - is it best to stick to the mpeg format or will some benefit be gained from the HD quality m2ts format or similar?

- is there any disadvantage in using any of the 'fast video rendering technology' options - mpeg 2 does not offer it on my system but the m2ts (H.264) option does?

Any advice appreciated, to achieve the best quality (most important) and the best use of space (I would be happy to split it across 2 discs if necessary to achieve best quality, though 1 disc would be ideal.

Happy New Year to all!

I'm using the AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core & appear to get good benefit from it, when look in Task manager all 8 cores appear to be working hard during rendering etc!

Selected because AMD processors are that much cheaper than Intel.

No comparison information but am personally pleased with the system performance while using PD12

(I have been advised since that the AMD processor may not always play nicely with the Nvidia Graphics card but no specific issues so far)
HDedit

No sign of this when I tried - edit series of clips - produce - back to edit window - all clips appear to behave normally

No obvious issues generally using this patch - everything continues as normal!
All appears good with patch & Nvidia driver 331.82
Can indeed confirm the 'fix' fixes it!

Only tried the basic stock images & also most recent project, both without the fix took over minute to load then with the fix back to a few seconds.

Thanks Dafydd
I did a Windows system restore to a point before the driver update installed, (which happened to be when had installed Windows 8.1, so not the most straightforward operation) others here may have a better suggestion to rollback the driver itself?

New driver appears to be causing several different issues so assume some solution will come, at the moment am just rejecting the NVIDIA update messages.

Hi Dafydd

Are you able to send me the 'fix', have not tried the 2209 patch yet because of the feedback on the forum but have Windows 8.1 and I understand the patch is designed to integrate PD12 better with 8.1?

Thanks

Ed
Thanks Carl, will leave it alone then!

(Can see that it does become an option when selecting some of the blue ray formats, which I don't use)
In the create disc module, final output, on my system there is a greyed out 'enable hardware video encoder' check box

Any suggestions about the requirements to enable this?

Not critical as fairly fast already, but more speed always good!
Hi

Yes, same problem with similar PC set up - resolved by rolling back to previous NVIDIA driver and all fine now (see my input 3rd post down)

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/30461.page

Fair point Marco A - though I think my problem was related to the driver upgrade as have just done system restore to before driver install and all now functioning correctly.

Only other possible was a Windows 8.1 update KB2902892 which had auto installed today.

But all good now!

Not sure if this is related BUT have just installed the latest driver v331.65 and had an issue straight after which was not there before!

Video clips all incredibly slow & stutter & get a 'rendering' progress bar on the right hand side which have never seen before, see attached image on one of the pre loaded clips.

Have NOT installed latest PD patch as had read the forum issues on that.

Nothing else changed far as aware

Any help appreciated as very painful to use at the moment = not usable!

EDIT

Just sitting with the same preloaded clip in the timeline & watching task monitor for PD12 there is quite a bit of activity on the CPU which appears to match in with the 'rendering 0%' appearing time after time, compared to the rendering bar actually making progress when you try and play the clip. (2 - 3% activity compared to 10% approx when actually playing the clip)

EDIT 2

When watching the clip (approx 15 secs long) with the timeline zoomed in, can see that the 'rendering' is accompanied by a green progress bar above the time line as it renders the clip in small sections, took a couple minutes for the clip! Now plays through fine without any stutter & task monitor shows 0% CPU but increased memory usage (440mb up to 609mb)

If 15 sec clip takes that long..........................!

Be interested to see if if

Anyone else experienced same?
Any suggestions if is a PD problem or Nvidia problem? (or something else?)
Is it possible to see how much work the GPU is doing?

OK, thanks
OK, many thanks for reply.
Next time it happens I will try and remember a screenshot!

Various random interval screen does not refresh fully so loose lot of the buttons / symbols / controls etc; for example the various 'room' buttons down the side, just left with the basic background

Seem to remember it happening with PD9 on old laptop and always assumed was lack of power / memory etc, just surprised to see it still happening with new system

When it happens if pass the mouse over the blank area it is restored

Anyone else noted this?

PD12 2109
Windows 8
AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 2GB
Hybrid 2TB ST2000DX 001-1CM164 SATA Disk Device
700w PS
Thanks for your input,

SSD - interesting thought but the two separate drives would be a budget buster; however they do offer

2TB Seagate Hybrid Gen3 SATA-III 60Gb/s Cache 5400RPM SSHD (Single Hard Drive)

Anyone had any experience of Hybrids with PD12? It should speed the load up time?
Additional RAM is good point though I think I would leave that as a future upgrade as additional cost (approx £65-£70) puts me outside my immediate budget, which I am trying to stick to and already pushing to it's limit! (Especially as PC builder quoted cost is about the same as buying it separately elsewhere, so no particular saving in cost; just the future job of fitting it!)

Thanks for your input,
After a long time away from Powerdirector editing; looking to get back into it again; looking to specify a suitable; fairly 'future proof' desktop PC to cope with the current version and hopefully some to come!

As I don't want to be buying another PC any time soon looking to spend max available budget - about £800, and been looking at the following specification, if anyone has any opinion would be appreciated (will Powerdirector benefit fully from this being the main question, especially the 8 core processor?) At some point will get into HD editing which is why I am looking at this level of spec.

AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)

8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AMD 970 Chipset, ATX mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 1 Gen PCIe x16, 1 Gen PCIe x4, 3 PCIe x1, & 2 PCI

Microsoft® Windows 8 (64-bit Edition) (64-bit Edition)

600 Watts Power Supplies (CoolerMaster B600 B-Series Gaming Power Supply)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card
Go to: