Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Output Format Advice
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
I am part way through a fairly large project and can see that space on the final DVD may be an issue (Using standard DVD burner and double layer 8.5gb discs, for playing on standard DVD players) Project is mixture of video and stills in slideshows.

The original source video is in mpeg 2 format with AC3 audio (720 x 576 / 25 fps) and I now suspect that this will be the best format to use in the various 'produce' stages as I build up the complete project for burning. (currently had been using H.264 AVC having read the part where it says it uses a better compression ratio when compared to mpeg 2 to produce a video of similar quality but I now suspect this is wasted effort and possibly just using up valuable disc space?, having just tested a small part and produced a mpeg 2 file of 23mb compared to the original 63mb m2ts file! (slideshow of still photos)

So was intending to re-produce in mpeg 2 format but see there is a variety of options, should I just stick with the default DVD HQ 720 x 576/50i 8mbps, or is there a more suitable option?

Another couple of related question -

- when producing the still slideshows - is it best to stick to the mpeg format or will some benefit be gained from the HD quality m2ts format or similar?

- is there any disadvantage in using any of the 'fast video rendering technology' options - mpeg 2 does not offer it on my system but the m2ts (H.264) option does?

Any advice appreciated, to achieve the best quality (most important) and the best use of space (I would be happy to split it across 2 discs if necessary to achieve best quality, though 1 disc would be ideal.

Happy New Year to all!

Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The original source video is in mpeg 2 format with AC3 audio (720 x 576 / 25 fps) and I now suspect that this will be the best format to use in the various 'produce' stages as I build up the complete project for burning.

As a general rule if you maintain the same format as your original source material, you have the best results.

As you know the format of a DVD is MPEG-2 720x576 (PAL) at 8 Mbps.
Since the original video is MPEG-2 I would keep the same quality for all the stages.

When you get your project to the point of putting on the DVD, you can do a Pre-render of your HD project to MPEG2 DVD HQ
Then use that video to create the disk. If you are putting chapters on the DVD, you would have to add the chapters to the MPEG-2 file Just before burning the disk.

Time is the important factor, for a DL DVD that is just under 2 Hours of video to burn the best quality DVD.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Many thanks Carl for your input Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)