Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
After a long time away from Powerdirector editing; looking to get back into it again; looking to specify a suitable; fairly 'future proof' desktop PC to cope with the current version and hopefully some to come!

As I don't want to be buying another PC any time soon looking to spend max available budget - about £800, and been looking at the following specification, if anyone has any opinion would be appreciated (will Powerdirector benefit fully from this being the main question, especially the 8 core processor?) At some point will get into HD editing which is why I am looking at this level of spec.

AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)

8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AMD 970 Chipset, ATX mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 1 Gen PCIe x16, 1 Gen PCIe x4, 3 PCIe x1, & 2 PCI

Microsoft® Windows 8 (64-bit Edition) (64-bit Edition)

600 Watts Power Supplies (CoolerMaster B600 B-Series Gaming Power Supply)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card
Great, thanks, will try that

That works thanks very much for quick response!
Having decided to go back to PD9 as computer was struggling with PD10, reinstalled

CyberLink.20096904,2316,1_VDE100917-03
CyberLink.1519_contentPac_VDE100318-02
CyberLink.3305_GM6_Patch_VDE110624-04

I skipped all the earlier patches.

All appeared to install OK but will not allow activation! Keep getting 'Your activation key is incorrect. Please try again'

I know the key is correct because I am getting it off the Cyberlink website! (from the 'my products' section) and also tried it on another computer where it worked fine.

I assume it must be something to do with some PD10 residue on my system??

I have just this week done a reinstall on the whole computer so it is fairly 'clean' but I did initially try PD10 before removing it as it did not behave, PD9 always ran OK.

Rather desperate as trying to complete a project for somebody before next Thursday!!

Any help appreciated, I have tried Cyberlink support but don't remember them being that helpful last time contacted them.
Hi Tony;

Thanks for your input; experimenting with your ideas, randomly it would appear by repeating the procedure with a save in between seems to produce results; certainly managed to use two images tried last night; they are now successful!

Will keep experimenting

:
Great tip thanks!

Can only get it to work with the default set of images at the moment; my textures come out grey when played though display correctly in the edit box?
Hi Dafydd

Not 100% necessarily a hardware issue then?

Would be good news if there was another explanation, as have deliberately avoided anything high definition etc as I knew this computer would struggle with anything more than had been doing previously, so was a bit disappointed when thought the change in version may have caused a problem; I appreciate PD10 is more complex in what it can do so probably more resource intensive. New computer not on the agenda at the moment!!

I don't think have experienced the problem in the way you described; only ever in the completed 'produce' though have to say often have to produce to get a clear picture of what have produced because preview can be a bit jerky on my machine so not easy to see fine edits etc.

Sounds like there may be another patch on the way; be interested to see if things improve after then? (I see there is one now!! , will download and see what happens)

Ed
Thanks Robert;

I do realise PC getting to the end of its useful life as far as video editing goes but generally find PD10 runs quite smoothly on it; as long as I am patient!

This problem seems to be the only thing that occurs as a problem in the finished results; will maybe just have to live with it for the while.
Thanks Robert; good tip

Upgraded to the latest ATi drivers; still experiencing same issue.

Recent 1 minute long section made up of about 10 individual clips, first produce successful; made some minor edits, second produce had two freezes (one mid clip; other whole clip) Third produce successful.

Note not any overlays in this example - all on the main track; no transitions at all
Producing to mpeg2 as have always done.
Sound continues behind the frozen picture as before
Reaches certain point (random) then video picks up again

Latest DXDiag
Latest DxDiag in case system performance has any bearing on the problem

Any help appreciated!

(please note not trying to do any HD editing - same computer setup / camera as previous PD versions)

Have also seen this happen on a finished disc using Create Disc - one frozen scene randomly; able to produce a good disc next attempt though

Continuing to see it quite regularly in mini projects; most take at least the 2nd produce attempt to come out right - but still completely random
Having used star / sparkle (both downloaded from Directorzone) overlays in a recent project noted on the finished result that the picture quality was degraded (video showed signs of going 'stripey' - de-interlaced?)

Tried it two ways

In the produced mini project

and

By adding at the final edit stage before disc production with the same result.

Only solution so far was to remove the particle effect!

If time will do some experiments with the standard set of clips to see if can replicate

Attached are some screen prints with and without; not as clear / bad looking as in 'real life' but do show the difference at the same point of the clip
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19664.page

Likewise
Have also noted that it is happening with video on it's own in the main track - took 4 - 5 attempts to get a good 'produce' on a small 3 min approx project; no overlays or anything complicated, and the frozen scenes continue to be random.

Using MOD files from a JVC SD card camcorder; producing in MPEG2 format.

Notice user abbarnes has reported a similar issue under title 'Frozen scenes in PD10 file' producing to avi files

I have the latest 1012 patch installed
When compiling videos where overlaying one video track over another; randomly produces 'dead' tracks after production - the 'dead' track freezing on the first frame. There is no consistency in this as further attempts at production can lead to different 'dead' tracks or a 100% OK production; just have to keep trying!

Be interested to see if any others have experienced same problem or limitation of my system. (sometimes wonder if because have other things running?) Never remember seeing it in PD9?
The main difference seems to be the ability to do 3D editing in the Ultra version; are there any other benefits to the Ultra version if there is no requirement to do 3D editing (i.e. if have no 3D recording equipment or TV)?

How's everyone finding the new version over PD9? Be interested to know if the other improvements are worth the up-grade?
Quote:

During today's process one of the movies produced audio only for the 1st part of the 45 minute episode and so I had to repeat the whole process again. On the 2nd attempt it was okay.

Appears to be the case - first produce results in audio abut no moving picture; 2nd produce works OK; happened for both sub projects currently working on
Took it down to 4x burn speed and has worked OK; so thanks for that

Curious as to why; as this is the first time have ever had to touch the burn speed?
Great; thanks will give that a try!
Hi Jeff;

I have not been able to find an option to vary the burn rate within PD8?

Ed
I have started to experience a slightly random burning issue.

Recently completed project built up of a number of smaller 'mini' projects then put together in one master project for burning

Burn runs through completely successfully

When played in DVD player reaches a random point playing fine then reverts to the main menu.

3 different attempts = 3 different points where the error occurred; between minute or so in right up to nearly the end.

Have tried producing the whole project into one file then burning; same result

However; rewritable disc worked OK

Discs are Sony DVD+R which have used successfully before; same batch
Computer / burner is the same
DVD player is the same
Working method is the same

Only thing that's changed is the PD version number?

Anyone any thoughts / logical tests to carry out to try and narrow the problem down?

Go to: