Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Smart Fit Issue
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Just in the final stages of compiling a project onto a double layer DVD, project has ended up slightly bigger than I wanted, with PD burn module saying approx 8.8gb; bit more than the 8.5gb disc.

Thought would give 'smart fit' a try as have used it successfully before, (not with DL discs though) however it seems to stall at 23%

Gets to 23% quickly - then not further movement with the screen saying 'updating title profile settings' & 'checking menu settings'

PD freezes and have to open task manager to close it.

Is this likely to be

A Smart fit issue, i.e not functioning as it should?
Beyond smart fits abilities therefore causing this problem?

I have tried various other ways of reducing the overall project size (though not duration) with no improvement; I assume because the DVD burning module produces it in DVD quality whatever the size of the original file? (I tried producing the entire project firstly as mpeg file (7.74gb) then put it back into PD for the menu stage - no improvement, then tried mp4 (4.02gb) still no improvement.

Any suggestions as to ways to successfully get the project onto one DL disc, as appears to be quite close so seems a shame to have to go to a 2 disc set for the sake of 0.3gb. I do want some sort of menu but if there are other burning options happy to try them.

Did try 'burn to folder' option but still says exceeds the size of the disc, despite having loads of free HDD space. Director Suite 365
AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb (OS)
Seagate 2TB SATA-III Hybrid 7200RPM Hard Drive (Data)
Toshiba 4TB SATA-III Hard drive (Archive)
24GB Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 2gb
Microsoft® Windows 10 (64-bit)
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
It seems to be the consensus that if your rendering stalls at some low percentage, 20% being the general neighborhood, that there's something wrong with one of your transitions.

I don't think there's anything to do but shotgun the problem. Jerry Schwartz
[Post New]
Save to file first is a good option, you must use compatible bitrate for that SVRT activate when Create Disc.
It is unknown if this SVRT active in Creat Disc, the way I know and observing the time spent.
Save the DVD Folder should spend a few minutes with SVRT. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Ed71 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Dorset, United Kingdom Joined: May 17, 2008 14:32 Messages: 207 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your input,

It was not a rendering issue as complete project rendered fine into a variety of formats.

Further testing indicates problem caused by project being just beyond what 'smart fit' was capable of, original project was just over 2hrs 17mins, (giving approx 8.8gb) have trimmed to just over 2hrs 16mins (giving approx 8.7gb) and it successfully reduces it to just under 8.5gb, therefore burning successfully.

Director Suite 365
24GB Memory
Ed71 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Smart fit performance seems to vary somewhat, now managed to use original file with very small alterations, a successful 'smart fit' from 8.8gb down to dead on 8.5gb. Still sticks at 23% for a bit but now gets through it.

Happy with that as certainly makes full use of disc! Director Suite 365
24GB Memory
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
That 23% mark (and a few others) seem to indicate times when PD has to go off and think about something. It would be nice to know what it is doing, even if you can't do anything about it.

When I taught interface design, on cardinal rule was that you should always have a spinner going, preferably a meaningful one. It keeps people from putting their fists through the screen. Jerry Schwartz
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Over the years of answering issues, the 20% mark - around that, is when PDR is creating the menu. If you've placed buttons incorrectly or added/changed features then this is when those changes are being implemented (or not and PDR throws a wobbler).

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2014 12:12

jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: Over the years of answering issues, the 20% mark - around that, is when PDR is creating the menu. If you've placed buttons incorrectly or added/changed features then this is when those changes are being implemented (or not and PDR throws a wobbler).

Dafydd

If only it did "throw a wobbler". That would be better than eternal hope. Jerry Schwartz
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
If only it did "throw a wobbler". That would be better than eternal hope.

Indeed! ha ha