Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Robert,

I think the video looks very good. I must have a defective Hero 3 Black as my videos don't look as good as yours...
I am going to do some tinkering over the holidays with the Black Edition and see if I can improve on my videos with the Hero.
Anyway thanks for keeping us updated on your editing skills.
I tried to do some Christmas lights with the Hero and didn't have a lot of success vs. some of my other cameras.
Walter
Robert,
That is some very good information. I am still in the learning stage with the GoPro cameras. I have been shooting videos with Panasonic AG-HMC40 and AG-HMC150 and I find the GoPro a little hard to deal with. Since the new apps from GoPro using my Tablet, I find that it is easier to change the settings on my Silver and Black now...

The information about using PD11 and Cineform AVI file and editing in PD11 is amazing.
I can't thank you enough for the information.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from Florida.

Walter

P.S. And as a footnote I think the Cyberlink Power Director 11 is the best video editing software I have ever used...
Robert,

I am new to GoPro cameras and I would like to get your advise. I have the Black & Silver Hero 3 cameras that I use and I would like to know what is the advantage of using Cineform software to convert or just take the video clip and do the editing and enhancement in PD11 and bypassing the conversion in Cineform. I have tried both methods and I can't seem to see much difference.

As I understand the video is already a MP4 file so why convert to AVI file to enhance and make changes using Cineform and then convert back to a MP4 file and then edit again in PD11.
Thanks for your advise in advance.

Walter

P.S. It stresses my computer also and takes a lot of time using Cineform.
You almost have to plan your video shoot on where the sun is at that time of day..
I have found that PD11 video enhancement and editing can produce just as good a job if not better results as GoPro Protune software.

A special thanks to Tony and others for the info in making a custom profile for the 2704 resolution.
You can learn a lot from this "Forum" from the members and moderator. They don't get the thanks they deserve sometimes...

Regards from Florida,
Walter

I got both of my GoPro Silver and Black Editions from Best Buy. I got the Black Edition online from Best Buy with store pickup. I got the only one they had in stock.
The splotchy sky is not from YouTube processing. The video is the same on my computer as on YouTube. I find that YouTube videos that I have uploaded are about as good as the original.
I am going to do some tests on the sky thing as I have noticed that the Silver Edition will do the same thing..
Might not be a answer to cure it..

Walter
Quote: Yes that certainly helps the video. The only thing, I am hoping it is just Youtubes re-render that is making the blue sky so splotchy.

Couple of questions

1. Is the sky so splotchy on your computer as it is on youtube?

Answer: The sky is splotchy on my computer after Protune enhancement...

2. What bit-rate and format did you produce your video at?

Answer: Custom profile 2704x 1536x 30fps x 44973

I am going to keep testing to see if I can refine the videos in this profile using PD11 and Protune adjustments and enhancements.

Thanks

Walter
Robert,
This is the same clip, but with "Protune" with no additional enhancements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxfipGMCpxw
Thanks Robert for the info. I am still in the process in testing the GoPro. I now have the Hero 3 Silver & Black and trying out the quality differences in the two. I have learned a lot from this forum on the GoPro cameras and appreciate all the information.
I have been using a Panasonic AG-HMC40 for some time and find the GoPro good for action videos. Still learning...
Thanks for the help.
I do have the software from GoPro but have not used it yet. Will give it a go later...

Walter
I ran a short test with my Hero 3 Black 2704x1536 settings and used a custom profile to produce matching the original 2704x1524.
I then uploaded to YouTube with this profile. I noticed under the YouTube settings above 1080p it shows "original" setting.
I have never noticed this before. Has anyone else tried this.. I produced this without any editing or enhancement.

Walter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPk-9s_msq4
Robert, GoPro says that they will have the wifi app for hero3 black in mid December.

Walter
Nice video Robert. I just purchased the Hero 3 Black Edition and anxious to run some tests. I purchased the Hero 3 Silver edition about a month ago. GoPro has a app now available on the Hero 3 Silver that I can use with my Nexus tablet. It is better than using the remote which the Silver Edition does not include. With the app you can monitor real time videos. GoPro expects to have the app for the Hero 3 Black in mid December...
Thanks for the info on your test.

Walter
Quote: I was watching this GoPro HD Hero3 Black vs. Silver vs. Hero2 Visual Comparison today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=yZvPBBHAuiI

You may have seen it.

I want the black edition when it becomes available for sure.
It was supposed to be available 11-15-2012 but GoPro keeps pushing back the date..
No I haven't seen this video. Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that the resolution was that much better on the black. And also the black comes with the wifi remote.
Quote: Thank you Twincitybulldog for the post and video. If everything works out right I willl get two of the Black Edition in February 2013. I will place one looking out front and the other one looking out back. Going to take one of the old ones and aim at me and one aim of to one of the sides at a angle. That will be fun editing 4 track of video.

Make sure you give us the link to your video when you do the video. It sure looks exciting.

Walter
I normally shoot my videos with a Panasonic AG-HMC40 which gives me excellent quality. When I used the Hero 3 in the narrow FOV it was terrible. The only thing I can say is it does a fairly good job for what it was intended. HD action videos in the wide mode.
I don't ever see me using this camera in any other FOV except 1080P wide...
Actually the sound track is from GoPro which you can get from them free or you can capture it as I did.

You can get the sound track here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDXmYoF5U

Thanks for the info.
One of the members was interested in the difference in the narrow, medium and wide FOV settings using the GoPro 3.
This is a test using Power Director 11 for editing. All of the tests were 1080 30P with no enhancements made.
The conclusion I made with this camera is that it has one purpose only. Action videos in the 1080 wide settings.
The other FOV using narrow and medium settings were really bad..

This is an action video using the GoPro 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDVRZuTHYY
Yes, it was shot with the new GoPro Hero 3 Silver Edition. Yes the end of the video was shot with the GoPro with the sun in our eyes.
I wanted to buy the Hero 3 Black Edition but it was not available yet.
I purchased the GoPro Hero 3 Silver as the black edition is not available yet, but the Hero silver does a pretty good job
I test it here and also the Panasonic Ag-HMC 40 camera which I have been using
I am using the PD11 software and have no problem with editing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDVRZuTHYY&list=FLh3MlFHZd0FOMuyuGMr-HOA&index=1&feature=plcp
For all the people that might be interested if their programs will be compatible with the new Windows 8 OS, here is a link to Microsoft for a compatibility listing.
I have personally been using PD10 for some time with Windows 8 and can say I have not found any bugs with this program...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/en-US/CompatCenter/Home
Quote: It seems that the changed alias will stick if there is at least one character in the alias name, besides spaces. Deleting all the text without entering anything new will cause the original name to re-appear the next time the project is opened.

Yes that's only true in the video timeline, not in the audio timeline. The text in the audio will not re-appear when opened again.The test in the video timeline is not a problem with myself, but you are correct...
Sorry about that. I changed it so it can be viewed.
Go to: