Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Workflow for Gopro & PD
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
I have been experimenting with a work flow to enhance my GoPro footage, or at least to get the youtube footage to come close to my computers view.

I think I have stuck the sweet spot. Here is my workflow and a video.

1. Shoot at 1080 25fps PAL using "Protune" 35Mbps.

2. Convert to .avi using GoPro's CineForm.

3. Drop the .avi into PD and use 30% contrast and 10% sharpening.

4. Produce to 1080 mp4 at 17,300 mbps/17.3 Mbps

This footage has a better look than my other videos. It seems giving PD an avi file with a huge Mbps bit rate allows it to get more out of the video, especially the distant stuff. Not so many blurry green trees in the distance or splotchy ocean.

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert

Thanks for sharing - great results

How does a Produced RAW (MP4??) GoPro file in PD look if don't convert it AVI using GOPro?

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil,

Thanks mate. I would have to do a back to back test with the same film clip to give a proper answer. A bit busy to do that at the moment.

My feelings is the 110-120Mbps bit rate avi (you can even go up to 245Mbps avi bit rate when using "Fim Scan 2 option) out of Cineform will still give a better result as it automatically applies a special "Protune" pre-set developed by GoPro and Cineform specifically for the raw Protune footage.

Lastly after many many hours of editing my GoPro footage I can definitely see that little bit extra kick from this latest work flow, it just looks crisper.

I will be sticking to this work flow until I upgrade to a GoPro HD3 Black and start shooting at 2.7K.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Hi Neil,

I just ran a quick and dirty test on

1. A protune mp4 clip straight out of the camera

2. Same clip in .avi out of Cineform

3. Same clip in mp4 out of Cineform.

I produced the clips all on the same timeline.

1. protune mp4 with 1/2 slider Video enhance.

2. avi and mp4 out of Cineform at 30% contrast and 10% sharpening.

Result.

1. Even with 1/2 slider Video enhance original clip was more washed out than the two Cineform clips. Although showed more detail in the shadows but lost out in what I call "pop" in the video.

2. In the avi clip there were sharpening halos in the produced video on fine white line writing on my black sleeves even when no sharpening was applied. This though is a very specific circumstance, as the rest of the video looked good.

2. They were missing from the cineform mp4 even when 10% sharpening was applied.

3. The .avi still looked the best although only just, followed by the Cineform mp4 and the out of camera protune mp4 last. I could have tinkered more with the out of camera mp4 but I would end up chasing my tail.

Bottom line comes down to a video I recently saw where a company tested 6 video cameras all in a studio set up with a high dynamic range of large open windows to sunny outdoors with actors doing the exact same thing for each camera.

They then got about 20-30 film people to watch all the clips only marked as A, B, C etc to see which one they liked best.

They could not come to a consensus as to which was the best camera. It appeared if you liked good skin tone you liked a certain camera. If you liked good dynamic range, that is outside the window balanced with the inside you liked a certain camera, etc etc.

To the average person they would not even notice the differences I am talking about but as I am always looking for that last 10% I'll keep tinkering.

Bottom like I guess I will continue to produce my videos that look good to my eye as in the end I am the one I have to satisfy.

Cheers

Robert2 S
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Bookmarked. Post of the year.

Brilliant Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Robert,
Great video and a very interesting read.
Dafydd
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
Nice video Robert. I just purchased the Hero 3 Black Edition and anxious to run some tests. I purchased the Hero 3 Silver edition about a month ago. GoPro has a app now available on the Hero 3 Silver that I can use with my Nexus tablet. It is better than using the remote which the Silver Edition does not include. With the app you can monitor real time videos. GoPro expects to have the app for the Hero 3 Black in mid December...
Thanks for the info on your test.

Walter Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Thanks Neil, Dafydd and Walter.

Walter, would be great to hear how your HD3 black turns out, they won't be available in Australia till January.

I have heard that the wi-fi app doesn't work with the HD3 black at the moment.

I have the wi-fi app working on my HD2. I will say though whoever designed the app, why did they have to have so much of my phone's screen covered with crap.

When I view what my camera is seeing I want to see it full screen, not covered top and bottom with unnecessary black and opaque bars.

EDIT====One last thing, the preview when recording, doesn't work with "Protune" turned on. It does work if the camera is just turned on but not recording though.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2012 06:24

twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
Robert, GoPro says that they will have the wifi app for hero3 black in mid December.

Walter

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 22. 2012 06:35

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
[Post New]
Do you plan your videos in advance? I.e. create a storyboard before you ever go and pick up the camera?

I confess that as a newbie, I shoot everything that moves and then try to turn it into something on the computer. Not a good idea.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2012 10:12

Custom computer: 8 processors, 16G Ram, ,C: drive 250G solid state. F: (Scratch drive) 2x 500Gb raid (0). G: (Data drive) 2Tb raid (1)
Power director Ultimate 12.0.2230.0
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Do you plan your videos in advance? I.e. create a storyboard before you ever go and pick up the camera?

I confess that as a newbie, I shoot everything that moves and then try to turn it into something on the computer. Not a good idea.

That reminds me of an old army dictum: "If it moves, salute it; if it doesn't move, paint it white." Jerry Schwartz
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Do you plan your videos in advance? I.e. create a storyboard before you ever go and pick up the camera?

It is a good Idea to plan out your video before you start shooting. That does not mean to leave out something if it is interesting and fits the subject of the video.

I usually create a outline of what I want to show in the video before shooting.

Then on the other hand, when it is a one time event, shoot everything. You can always edit later, but you can not add stuff to a done event.

It does not have to be something moving. Backgrounds and the place are important also.

Have you ever shot weddings? That is a true never happen again event.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]

I use both methods, depending on what I am filing. When filming a race I never know what is going to happen, so I have 3 GoPro's planted around the track and one mobile camera that I carry. I also film lots of stuff before the race and decide later if there is anything that I can use.

In the studio I plan everything, including to doing research and writing a script, if needed. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM