Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Anyone interested in Gopro HD3 & PD11?
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Well I had a short scratchy flight today testing out my new GoPro HD3 black.

I shot it using "Protune" at 2.7K (2704 X 1525) PAL 25fps...there is some lens fogging top right hand corner as I had the waterproof back on.

1. Split it up in Cineform

2. Converted to .avi with the "Protune" pre-set.

3. Imported into PowerDirector 11.

4. Applied 1/2 slider Video Enhance. Some may still think it is too saturated, but it works for me. I think "Video Enhance " adds a bit too much contrast to my footage as most of it is of me in shadow under my wing. I played with the lighting setting but ran out of time.

4. Produced to 2704 X 1525 17 Mbps.

At this stage I think the quality of the HD3 video is better than my HD2, not by a lot but it is better.

I think the ability of the HD3 black to shoot 60fps @1080 and 120fps @ 720 for super smooth slo-mo would be more useful than the increase in resolution....that is unless you are showing your videos on your new 75 inch, wide screen TV.

Still more testing to get the most out of the footage, especially with PD11's settings.

I also think not having the lens cover on will give maximum quality as it did on my HD2.

Lastly I must say viewing the youtube footage at "Original" is the closest I have seen youtube footage matching the raw footage on my computer, although it seems Youtube can't match 2704 X 1524 and only shows my footage at 2048 X 1536. Even the 4K footage I uploaded also shows up as 2048 X 1536

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
I am off to bed it is really late. I just wanted to add I may have a white balance problem.

The first part of the video with me taking off just didn't look right, especially the grass. Any way will look at it again in the morning. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I only watched a few minutes.

I do not think you have a white balance problem. The grass in the shadow looks a bit brown, I would attribute that to not enough rain. Grass gets stressed if not enough water.

Fantastic footage.
The view from your flight is fantastic.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Awesome video, looked great on my monitor! ~Tom~
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Thanks Carl and Kmot,

I tried a manual White Balance in PD off my white socks, but man how can you get a decent reading in such a small screen. Anyone have any hints on how to get a more accurate WB reading from PD?

Looks like I will have to do some testing at home with a grey or white card. Gopro has a RAW white balance setting under "Protune" which apparently is raw straight off the sensor.

It doesn't help when I don't have the best colour picking ability. My Dad is colour blind, I am not, at least by the tests I have done. I do have problems sometimes though picking colour casts in photos.

Of course it doesn't help when everyone on the internet has their monitors calibrated slightly differently to everyone else unless they have used a special instrument stuck to their monitor to calibrate the colour. Ah the joys of computers and the internet. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Video looked great but you in the blue pilot bag looked like it was green screen foreground around the edges every now and then. Thats a lot of blue.... cant help with ground cover color.... don't know if it right or not. Still looked good.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Robert2 S
[Post New]
You have a good eye Bubba, you have found me out, I really don't fly, I just have my harness set-up in the garage in front of a huge green screen

Yes I noticed the edges too, especially around the back of my harness against the blue/green of the ocean.

I did some White Balance testing today and it seems as though "Protune Camera RAW" white balance in camera then using the .avi out of Cineform in PowerDirector for editing will give me the best result. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
Robert,

I think the video looks very good. I must have a defective Hero 3 Black as my videos don't look as good as yours...
I am going to do some tinkering over the holidays with the Black Edition and see if I can improve on my videos with the Hero.
Anyway thanks for keeping us updated on your editing skills.
I tried to do some Christmas lights with the Hero and didn't have a lot of success vs. some of my other cameras.
Walter

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 22. 2012 05:54

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Hi Walter,

Thank you for your kind words. I don't think gopro's are a very good general purpose video camera, especially in low light.

Regarding the qualities of my videos and PD11. My work flow is above, may I suggest trying some test footage in good light and PD11 to see how you go.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn