Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Field of View using the GoPro Hero 3 Camera
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
One of the members was interested in the difference in the narrow, medium and wide FOV settings using the GoPro 3.
This is a test using Power Director 11 for editing. All of the tests were 1080 30P with no enhancements made.
The conclusion I made with this camera is that it has one purpose only. Action videos in the 1080 wide settings.
The other FOV using narrow and medium settings were really bad..

This is an action video using the GoPro 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDVRZuTHYY

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 15. 2012 06:25

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Twincitybulldog for the post and video. If everything works out right I willl get two of the Black Edition in February 2013. I will place one looking out front and the other one looking out back. Going to take one of the old ones and aim at me and one aim of to one of the sides at a angle. That will be fun editing 4 track of video. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Walter,

I have read on the GoPro forum that the Silver Edition Hero3 is basically the same as the Hero2 as far as image quality is concerned.

That said, I have a Hero 2 and recently made a video using the 1080P 'Narrow' FOV, and it was in low light conditions. Exactly, the camera was attached to a bicylce and the sunlight was fading.

I was shocked when I viewed the video! The noise on the image was unbelievable. At first I thought my camera was somehow defective. Because I had seen numerous videos on YT shot with GoPro cameras from cars at night time and the image looked pretty good and did not have 1/10th the noise mine had.

Your post has just verified what I suspected, that the narrow FOV severely limits what the camera can do.

Your 'action video' edited with PD11 looks great and the sound track is kickin'! Who does the music? ~Tom~
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
I normally shoot my videos with a Panasonic AG-HMC40 which gives me excellent quality. When I used the Hero 3 in the narrow FOV it was terrible. The only thing I can say is it does a fairly good job for what it was intended. HD action videos in the wide mode.
I don't ever see me using this camera in any other FOV except 1080P wide...
Actually the sound track is from GoPro which you can get from them free or you can capture it as I did.

You can get the sound track here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDXmYoF5U

Thanks for the info.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 13. 2012 13:45

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
It appears to me that the FOV basically acts as a digital zoom, which would explain the degradation of quality. Yes, the Silver Edition is very close to the Hero 2, but I do believe all Hero 3's have built in Wi-fi. On the Hero 2 it was an add-on. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Kmot
Contributor Location: Northridge, CA Joined: Apr 18, 2012 01:45 Messages: 432 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: It appears to me that the FOV basically acts as a digital zoom, which would explain the degradation of quality.

After watching twincitybulldog's video I have to agree. Who knew? That is a real eye opener.

Digital zoom is disabled in every camera/camcorder I own. Now that I know that GoPro's 'Narrow FOV" zooms in so much to eliminate the fisheye effect I will not be using it much, especially in low light. ~Tom~
twincitybulldog
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you Twincitybulldog for the post and video. If everything works out right I willl get two of the Black Edition in February 2013. I will place one looking out front and the other one looking out back. Going to take one of the old ones and aim at me and one aim of to one of the sides at a angle. That will be fun editing 4 track of video.

Make sure you give us the link to your video when you do the video. It sure looks exciting.

Walter Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
I was watching this GoPro HD Hero3 Black vs. Silver vs. Hero2 Visual Comparison today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=yZvPBBHAuiI

You may have seen it. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
twincitybulldog
[Post New]
Quote: I was watching this GoPro HD Hero3 Black vs. Silver vs. Hero2 Visual Comparison today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=yZvPBBHAuiI

You may have seen it.

I want the black edition when it becomes available for sure.
It was supposed to be available 11-15-2012 but GoPro keeps pushing back the date..
No I haven't seen this video. Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that the resolution was that much better on the black. And also the black comes with the wifi remote. Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.