Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition Test
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
I ran a short test with my Hero 3 Black 2704x1536 settings and used a custom profile to produce matching the original 2704x1524.
I then uploaded to YouTube with this profile. I noticed under the YouTube settings above 1080p it shows "original" setting.
I have never noticed this before. Has anyone else tried this.. I produced this without any editing or enhancement.

Walter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPk-9s_msq4

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 29. 2012 20:25

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Walter,

Yes I found the same when played with some raw 2.7K & 4K video I downloaded from the web. Anything over 1080 opens up the "Original" setting in Youtube.

Did you process the video with the "Protune" setting inside the free software that comes from GoPro? I find the Protune pre-set is an easy way to enhance the flat protune video.

I found a trick that if you process to .avi and go to the "step2" tab in the free software, any setting you change automatically shows up in the saved .avi, even if it is open in PD or even a video player, something to do with "metadata". My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Robert for the info. I am still in the process in testing the GoPro. I now have the Hero 3 Silver & Black and trying out the quality differences in the two. I have learned a lot from this forum on the GoPro cameras and appreciate all the information.
I have been using a Panasonic AG-HMC40 for some time and find the GoPro good for action videos. Still learning...
Thanks for the help.
I do have the software from GoPro but have not used it yet. Will give it a go later...

Walter

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 29. 2012 20:47

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
twincitybulldog
[Post New]
Robert,
This is the same clip, but with "Protune" with no additional enhancements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxfipGMCpxw Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Yes that certainly helps the video. The only thing, I am hoping it is just Youtubes re-render that is making the blue sky so splotchy.

Couple of questions

1. Is the sky so splotchy on your computer as it is on youtube?

2. What bit-rate and format did you produce your video at?

Thanks

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
twincitybulldog
[Post New]
Quote: Yes that certainly helps the video. The only thing, I am hoping it is just Youtubes re-render that is making the blue sky so splotchy.

Couple of questions

1. Is the sky so splotchy on your computer as it is on youtube?

Answer: The sky is splotchy on my computer after Protune enhancement...

2. What bit-rate and format did you produce your video at?

Answer: Custom profile 2704x 1536x 30fps x 44973

I am going to keep testing to see if I can refine the videos in this profile using PD11 and Protune adjustments and enhancements.

Thanks

Walter

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 29. 2012 21:50

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Thanks Walter,

Good luck with your testing, it looks like I won't be getting mine till January next year. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know how y'all are even getting these. Every time I check GoPro has changed the date they will be available. On topic, that splotchy sky looks like a hazard of variable bit rates on solid colors. Probably because of YouTube processing. Did that profile trigger SVRT? I tried a custom profile for a 2704x1440 video that I downloaded and could not get anything to match. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
twincitybulldog
[Post New]
I got both of my GoPro Silver and Black Editions from Best Buy. I got the Black Edition online from Best Buy with store pickup. I got the only one they had in stock.
The splotchy sky is not from YouTube processing. The video is the same on my computer as on YouTube. I find that YouTube videos that I have uploaded are about as good as the original.
I am going to do some tests on the sky thing as I have noticed that the Silver Edition will do the same thing..
Might not be a answer to cure it..

Walter Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for posting Walter. I thing the video looks good. I want the Black Edition because it has the manual white balance control. For when I'm riding down the road and the sun is in fornt of the camera. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
twincitybulldog
[Post New]
You almost have to plan your video shoot on where the sun is at that time of day..
I have found that PD11 video enhancement and editing can produce just as good a job if not better results as GoPro Protune software.

A special thanks to Tony and others for the info in making a custom profile for the 2704 resolution.
You can learn a lot from this "Forum" from the members and moderator. They don't get the thanks they deserve sometimes...

Regards from Florida,
Walter

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
Here in Indiana in the fall the sun come up in the southest and sets in the southwest. I know when I was trying to use a Sony digital camcoder heading south at that time of the year if I turn the white white balance down 50% or a little more. I would get a good shoot. If I'm riding with a group and they want me to video the ride it's hard to plan it. Northern Indiana is just flat and straight roads. No fun to ride. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos