Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Do not buy PowerDVD 9 Ultra! I stopped counting the number of patches I installed and it still won't play many of my blu ray's. Version 7 that came with my drive plays all of them.
I am not happy at all with PDVD 9 Ultra. After many patches and re-installs (last patch was on 5/22) I still cannot get satisfactory Blu-Ray playback. I keep hoping 'after the next patch' they will fix this software. PDVD 7 Ultra plays everything. Still, very buggy and would recommend that you do not buy this program!
I totally agree! V 7.3 Ultra works just fine. Plays every Blu-Ray and HD-DVD I've thrown at it.

Then .... I upgraded to PowerDVD V 9 Ultra. What a pain in the butt this has been. Two patches later and I still can't play most Blu-Ray's I have. Glad I kept V 7.3 loaded or I would really be frustrated. I'm running a Core 2 Duo (2.8 MhZ) with a ATI Radion 2600 Pro with a fresh Windows XP operating system too.

Come on Cyberlink ... no patch has been issued for this crappy software since 4/17/2009. Give us some idea of when you plan to fix the many issues flooding these forums.

For those of you thinking about upgrading to V 9 Ultra, I have three words for you ... DON'T DO IT!
Hi,

I've seen multiple posts on the problems with PowerDVD9 Ultra. I've also seen several posts where people are able to play some Blu-Ray DVD's in Version 9 ultra.

I am only able to play HDMoods Aquarium. All other Blu-Rays play fine to the title menu. When I select movie, it plays fine until the movie starts. Plays the movie for about 2 to 5 seconds and then 'freezes'.

HD Moods Aquarium does not have a title menu and plays fine. Regular DVD's play fine. Blu-Rays only play in PowerDVD Ultra Ver 7.3 (I have both Version 7.3 Ultra and Version 9 Ultra installed on the same PC - Version 9 Ultra is the 'upgrade' version).

I have all patches installed (up through version 1531). My Blu-Ray drive is a LG GGC-H20L running on Windows XP Home - 32 bit. Graphics card is a ASUS EAH2600PRO with the latest ATI drivers installed.

Any suggestions or is Version 9 ultra (with the 2 patches) just really bad software? Thanks for your help.
DVD's work Blu-Ray's don't. Do we see a pattern here in these posts? 4/2 patch does not fix the Blu-Ray playback issue for me (freezes when movie starts).
I got the patch and installed it. By the way, I saw a post that said the patch would not install. I got this message too but had not activated the Power DVD to Power DVD Ultra. Patch installed fine after I activated.

I saw no improvement after the patch installation. Same problem as before. BD disc plays up to the start of the movie and then freezes. I have one BD that works but it has no menu (HD Aquarium). I wonder if the menu is the problem? Very frustrated.

I asked for my money back and no response.
I'm glad everyone is trying to find a solution. However, 7.3 works perfectly for me and I have no issues, even with a bunch of programs loaded to my PC (including BeyondTV 4).

I thought Power DVD Ultra Version 9 would be a huge step up. It was an extreme disappointment as I could never get past the menu screen on a Blu-Ray DVD (always crashed). Tried 5 separate installations, including deleting version 7.3 (probably running out of activations too).

I already submitted a ticket to tech support and indicated if this problem is not fixed, I want my money back.

I wish I had read this forum first before buying. Any suggestions for alternative Blue Ray software players? Thanks!
Go to: