Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Yes it could, as long as you had the frame by frame set of .png files with transparent backgrounds.

You can do that by stepping through the intro frame by frame, using the ./> key and taking snapshots. Oh - & you'd need to put a totally transparent image in Track 1, with the intr sequence in Track 2.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Jason -

How do you make the HUD animations?

It's quite a complicated (many steps) process of replacing animation files in one of the standard template folders. This is a trick my dear departed friend CP (Cranston) and I developed a few years back.

e.g. if you have a look in C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\templates\PowerDirector Content Pack Essential\PiPObject\PDR11_PinP_007, you'll find the animation files for the PiP Object called "Countdown" - 180 of them.

By replacing the animation files with different ones, you get a different animation.

Here's the tutorial CP made to explain the process - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoxs-elMuJ4

Now that PDR can import alpha channel videos, that isn't necessary any more... as long as you have the aplha channel video!

Is it easy to change the color on them?

If the objects have colour, you can use Fix/Enhance > Color Adjustment to modify as you wish. If the objects are white (like the HUD animations I made recently, you can use NewBlue Color Swap, in FX, to swap the white for a different colour.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Jason -

Unfortunately, if you saved it as a "lower third type of video" (in video format), it would not have a transparent background. PDR cannot produce videos with an alpha channel.

The "lower third" templates on DirectorZone would be either :

1. PiP Objects/Video Overlays containing a single element - example

2. Titles with a particle background - example

3. Titles with an image inserted - example

4. Titles or PiP Objects that contain animation files - example

If you can point me to an axample of a PiP Object or Title template on DirectorZone that contains multple elements, I'd be happy to stand corrected.

I'm fairly certain the two options I suggested above are the only ones available. I use the "Insert Project" option most commonly for video intros/outros.

Cheers - Tony
G'day Jason -

You're right. You can't save a sequence with multiple elements as a PiP Object/Video Overlay template. tomasc wasn't to know that because you didn't state it earlier.

You have two easy options:

1. Save each element of your sequence a separate PiP Object templates, so they can be dropped into any project.

2. Save your sequence as a separate project. Pack the project, then it can be inserted in any future project.

Cheers - Tony
Hi DennyMan -

The same result can be obtained much more efficiently in PiP Designer...

Cheers - Tony
Thanks Jason -

"Doesn't look half bad" is about how I'd describe it too. That line make me think of a the way a worm or leech moves to try to latch onto something laughing

How long did it take? (I didn't time it - just estimations)

1. Making the graphics(text box, circle & line): ~10 min all up

2. Motion tracking stage (circle on backpack): ~30 min, after tweaking & re-tweaking

3. Manually keyframing line: ~2 hours, partly because PiP Designer would occasionally revert to previous position settings

Not being able to lock a node (endpoint of line) onto an object in the video is the most significant difference between PDR & Ae for this exercise.

Cheers - Tony
Hi JShep -

Just having a stab at what the issue might be, here...

What recording options were selected? What files do you have on your PC? The answers to these questions may help get closer to resolving your issue.

The reason I ask is that, on the Zoom Q8, you can record in different modes - MOV or MOV+WAV (which generates separate audio files for each mic used). Also, you can choose STEREO AUDIO (which mixes the audio) or MULTI AUDIO (which generates separate audio files). Audio quality options range from 16/24-bit WAV to 64kbps AAC.

I don't have a Zoom Q8. I read that in the manual.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Jason -

After I bravely asserted that "it could be manually keyframed", I thought I'd better put it to the test.

Bottom line: It can be manually keyframed but it's quite impossible to come up with a decent "Ae-like" result. In fact, the pain I went through doing this was enough to convince me to invest in Ae!

Here's the outcome:

If you're interested, you can download the packed project here. I used a combination of motion tracking and manual keyframing. Oh for a node!

Cheers - Tony
The short answer is no undecided

PDR cannot do what Ae does. Where Ae has separate elements with nodes that can be used to track (like the endpoint of the line tracking the subject's head), PDR does not.

You can use motion tracking to have a callout graphic track a subject... but the whole thing would move, not just the endpoint.

It could be manually keyframed, but I don't think you'd have much fun doing it! surprised

Cheers - Tony
Hi Jason -

An animation like that can be made for PDR, rather than in PDR.

Here are some examples of the same kind of thing - https://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/126399284 and https://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/126399283

There are plenty of places online where you can purchase thos things, usually in alpha MOV format.

Cheers - Tony
You're right Norbert -

The scrolling credits are a bit "stuck in the mud".

One option I've used is to overlay a duplicate video & mask it so the credits begin to appear from the desired point. The timeline looks like this:

... and it looks like this:

I've attached the mask I used for that one.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Bart (oluja) -

The obvious answer to your original question is Blender! Blender is dedicated animation software, so it's probably not fair to expect PDR (which isn't) to be able to do the same/similar sorts of things. So Barry's suggestion of building the animation in Blender & importing that into PDR seems like the way to go.

Title Designer is, by comparison, very basic. Images, for example, can do nothing more than fade in & out... so you can't animate lines & shapes as Blender can. To a point, similar sorts of things can be achieved in PiP Designer with a bit of effort. Blender requires effort too!

Still - you can create "modern" titles in Title Designer, depending on your interpretation of "modern". A while back, I made this title template in PDR. It has the same clean look as some of the examples in that Blender video.

Comments about DirectorZone templates not meeting needs are fair... but then, DirectorZone isn't populated with graphic designers!

Cheers - Tony
Hi KellyfromFlorida -

This is not a direct answer to your question. Hatti & playsound have covered that very well.

It's another possibility that might work for you in future.

Here's an app called Dashware & here's a video showing a guy using it with his DJI clips.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Lance -

Here are a couple of templates that might help get you started...

Kinetic Type 1

Kinetic Type 2

These templates use multiple tracks in each title. Each track can be modified in any way or removed.

To do real animation as shown in the video you linked, you'd need to combine titles with graphics in PiP Designer.

Cheers - Tony
Hi ArchedEdge -

Quote: I think I figured out a way to fix it! I removed the border from the words and it seemed to fix it. But actually, when I rendered the original file in Segoe and with black border at a higher quality, the subtitles were far more consistent and high quality.

You're definitely onto something there! The way text with borders is processed by PDR seems to be causing the wonkiness in subtitles. It also occurs, to a lesser extent, in regular titles.

My suggestion about particular fonts was off the mark, but you've narrowed the problem.

Here's a video showing a comparison between subtitles & titles with borders, shadows & plain text...

Cheers - Tony
Hi strifemit -

About your question:

The YouTube videos you linked are just made with a series of titles one after the other, with each title formatted slightly differently. It would be pointless creating a series of templates for that without knowing exactly what you wanted.

The other words animation video is just that - animation! In PDR, even though you could make slides like that, creating templates would be pointless because each animation is indiviual & appropriate only to that word. Making something like that "without a creative bone in your body" would be a bit challenging!

Quote: I want some examples of templates that have words. Maybe some something that has the same word popping up all over the place or something that several different words pop up all over the place.

That's a different thing than anything in the videos you linked.

Way back in (about) PDR9, I made this little example of kinetic typography. Doing that's a bit simpler in PDR16 because you can have multiple text tracks in one title.

Why not post a screen shot of the kind of thing you'd like to do?

Cheers - Tony
Hi Jack -

Strange as it sounds, your idea of replacing "Effect Extractor.exe" has been known to work in previous versions.

It's installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files

Cheers - Tony
Hi ArchedEdge -

I've noticed that too, though it's never looked so bad I had to ditch it. It seems to be more noticeable with particular letters... & even particular fonts.

You used the default "Segoe" font, yes?

I wondered whether the same thing woud occur if I used titles instead... and it did. This was using "Segoe Semibold" font.

Here's a comparison between using Subtitles & Titles (with Segoe Semibold):

When I switched the font to Calibri, it wasn't nearly as noticeable. It's just a case of finding the sweet-spot font.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Jack -

I guess the details that need investigating are included in that PDF. Unfortunately, it wasn't attached so noone here knows the details.

The issue you seem to be having is not related to the latest patch update (2524). Downloading & installing DZ effects works fine here, running that build.

There's a PiP Object template attached. What happens when you download & double click the .dzp file? Does it install correctly?

If you attach that PDF, you'll probably get more help.

Cheers - Tony
Hi Terry Lee Martin -

You can easily modify menu backgrounds right in Menu Designer.

If templates have the "Modify" option greyed out, you'd need to resort to the method Warry suggested.

Cheers - Tony
Hi -

The clear answer you were looking for is "No". Title Designer has no word wrap.

It's manual returns/enter or copy/paste from Notepad/Word, as Playsound suggested.

Cheers - Tony
Go to: