Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Intro with transparent background
Jab73180 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 09, 2016 20:22 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
Hey everyone, I have made a pretty nice intro using paint.net and keyframing the individual parts to move them in PowerDirector.

My question is, How do I turn this into a clip with a transparent background that I can just drop into my video without having to remake it everytime.

It is similar to the way a lower third works I would think. I haven't figured out how to convert it yet.

Thanks for the help. -Jason
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
You can save it as a PiP object (template) in which you can reuse later. Here is a tutorial on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1HsYuGbhg .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2018 19:49

Jab73180 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You can save it as a PiP object (template) in which you can reuse later. Here is a tutorial on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1HsYuGbhg .

I'm sorry but I don't see how this is relevant. Am I missing something?

I have 5 or 6 elements that come together to make this intro, I am only able to save 1 in the PiP.

I know this is possible because the Director Zone is loaded with lower thirds. -Jason
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
G'day Jason -

You're right. You can't save a sequence with multiple elements as a PiP Object/Video Overlay template. tomasc wasn't to know that because you didn't state it earlier.

You have two easy options:

1. Save each element of your sequence a separate PiP Object templates, so they can be dropped into any project.

2. Save your sequence as a separate project. Pack the project, then it can be inserted in any future project.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2018 22:53

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Jab73180 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote G'day Jason -

You're right. You can't save a sequence with multiple elements as a PiP Object/Video Overlay template. tomasc wasn't to know that because you didn't state it earlier.

You have two easy options:

1. Save each element of your sequence a separate PiP Object templates, so they can be dropped into any project.

2. Save your sequence as a separate project. Pack the project, then it can be inserted in any future project.

Cheers - Tony

Ok, I like option 1. Is there a way to combine all the elements to 1 so I only have to drag 1 file into the timeline?

I still don't understand why there isn't a simple way to save it as a lower third type of video with a transparent background like what you would get from the Director Zone. -Jason
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jason -

Unfortunately, if you saved it as a "lower third type of video" (in video format), it would not have a transparent background. PDR cannot produce videos with an alpha channel.

The "lower third" templates on DirectorZone would be either :

1. PiP Objects/Video Overlays containing a single element - example

2. Titles with a particle background - example

3. Titles with an image inserted - example

4. Titles or PiP Objects that contain animation files - example

If you can point me to an axample of a PiP Object or Title template on DirectorZone that contains multple elements, I'd be happy to stand corrected.

I'm fairly certain the two options I suggested above are the only ones available. I use the "Insert Project" option most commonly for video intros/outros.

Cheers - Tony
Jab73180 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi Jason -

Unfortunately, if you saved it as a "lower third type of video" (in video format), it would not have a transparent background. PDR cannot produce videos with an alpha channel.

The "lower third" templates on DirectorZone would be either :

1. PiP Objects/Video Overlays containing a single element - example

2. Titles with a particle background - example

3. Titles with an image inserted - example

4. Titles or PiP Objects that contain animation files - example

If you can point me to an axample of a PiP Object or Title template on DirectorZone that contains multple elements, I'd be happy to stand corrected.

I'm fairly certain the two options I suggested above are the only ones available. I use the "Insert Project" option most commonly for video intros/outros.

Cheers - Tony

Thanks for your reply Tony.

How do you make the HUD animations? Is it easy to change the color on them? -Jason
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Jason -

How do you make the HUD animations?

It's quite a complicated (many steps) process of replacing animation files in one of the standard template folders. This is a trick my dear departed friend CP (Cranston) and I developed a few years back.

e.g. if you have a look in C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\templates\PowerDirector Content Pack Essential\PiPObject\PDR11_PinP_007, you'll find the animation files for the PiP Object called "Countdown" - 180 of them.

By replacing the animation files with different ones, you get a different animation.

Here's the tutorial CP made to explain the process - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoxs-elMuJ4

Now that PDR can import alpha channel videos, that isn't necessary any more... as long as you have the aplha channel video!

Is it easy to change the color on them?

If the objects have colour, you can use Fix/Enhance > Color Adjustment to modify as you wish. If the objects are white (like the HUD animations I made recently, you can use NewBlue Color Swap, in FX, to swap the white for a different colour.

Cheers - Tony
Jab73180 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's quite a complicated (many steps) process of replacing animation files in one of the standard template folders. This is a trick my dear departed friend CP (Cranston) and I developed a few years back.

e.g. if you have a look in C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\templates\PowerDirector Content Pack Essential\PiPObject\PDR11_PinP_007, you'll find the animation files for the PiP Object called "Countdown" - 180 of them.

By replacing the animation files with different ones, you get a different animation.

Here's the tutorial CP made to explain the process - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoxs-elMuJ4

Now that PDR can import alpha channel videos, that isn't necessary any more... as long as you have the aplha channel video!

Cheers - Tony

Could that be done for an intro? -Jason
ynotfish
[Post New]
Yes it could, as long as you had the frame by frame set of .png files with transparent backgrounds.

You can do that by stepping through the intro frame by frame, using the ./> key and taking snapshots. Oh - & you'd need to put a totally transparent image in Track 1, with the intr sequence in Track 2.

Cheers - Tony
Jab73180 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Yes it could, as long as you had the frame by frame set of .png files with transparent backgrounds.

You can do that by stepping through the intro frame by frame, using the ./> key and taking snapshots. Oh - & you'd need to put a totally transparent image in Track 1, with the intr sequence in Track 2.

Cheers - Tony

Great, your the man. That's just what I was looking for.

Thanks so much. -Jason