Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Subtitles Coming Out Wonky
ArchedEdge [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2017 11:14 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

I've been producing a vid and been adding subtitles, and haven't had this issue previously but now seem to be seeing that the subtitles that are added in are in effect, coming out wonky.

If you see this video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n9rp3wi011c176/Chinatown%20Vid%20IG%20Final%20V2.mp4?dl=0

You'll see what I mean in the short speaking parts.

Anyone have any idea how/what is happening?

Thanks
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Can you please describe in detail what did you really mean by wonky that is not acceptable and what do you really want.
ArchedEdge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Can you please describe in detail what did you really mean by wonky that is not acceptable and what do you really want.

Hi tomasc - if you look at the video you'll see what i mean within a few seconds. The letters do not come out level and are wonky - completely unusual and no idea why this is happening.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The first few seconds of the dropbox video has about 120 pixels chopped off at the bottom when viewed full screen on my monitor, that is normal with any viewer/player for the pc. The subtitles are not tilted but level on my pc in that first 11 seconds. Perhaps you would like for the subtitles to be moved up a little.

Please wait for other users to view your dropbox video and give an opinion on what they see that might be wrong with the subtitles. Need other readers here to respond and let us know if the subtitles are level or have other problems with your video viewer or player on their monitor.
ArchedEdge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The first few seconds of the dropbox video has about 120 pixels chopped off at the bottom when viewed full screen on my monitor, that is normal with any viewer/player for the pc. The subtitles are not tilted but level on my pc in that first 11 seconds. Perhaps you would like for the subtitles to be moved up a little.

Please wait for other users to view your dropbox video and give an opinion on what they see that might be wrong with the subtitles. Need other readers here to respond and let us know if the subtitles are level or have other problems with your video viewer or player on their monitor.

Thanks!

To make clear what I mean i also attach an image screenshot of the subtitles. Hopefully as you can see, they're not equally spaced, are not uniformly level, and almost look like they've been individually stuck in one by one by hand rather than aligned neatly.
[Thumb - dodgy subtitles.png]
 Filename
dodgy subtitles.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
84 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi ArchedEdge -

I've noticed that too, though it's never looked so bad I had to ditch it. It seems to be more noticeable with particular letters... & even particular fonts.

You used the default "Segoe" font, yes?

I wondered whether the same thing woud occur if I used titles instead... and it did. This was using "Segoe Semibold" font.

Here's a comparison between using Subtitles & Titles (with Segoe Semibold):

When I switched the font to Calibri, it wasn't nearly as noticeable. It's just a case of finding the sweet-spot font.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ArchedEdge [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Hi ArchedEdge -

I've noticed that too, though it's never looked so bad I had to ditch it. It seems to be more noticeable with particular letters... & even particular fonts.

You used the default "Segoe" font, yes?

I wondered whether the same thing woud occur if I used titles instead... and it did. This was using "Segoe Semibold" font.

Here's a comparison between using Subtitles & Titles (with Segoe Semibold):

When I switched the font to Calibri, it wasn't nearly as noticeable. It's just a case of finding the sweet-spot font.

Cheers - Tony

Thank you! Such a strange annoyance to PD that makes things just that little bit more difficult...making me rethink buying it!

As an aside, I think I figured out a way to fix it! I removed the border from the words and it seemed to fix it. But actually, when I rendered the original file in Segoe and with black border at a higher quality, the subtitles were far more consistent and high quality.

Am thinking it's perhaps just something like "CPU" fatigue with the program or something, as I often seem to see strange errors creep in on projects that have been in editing for a long period, or if my laptop has been on for a while
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi ArchedEdge -

Quote: I think I figured out a way to fix it! I removed the border from the words and it seemed to fix it. But actually, when I rendered the original file in Segoe and with black border at a higher quality, the subtitles were far more consistent and high quality.

You're definitely onto something there! The way text with borders is processed by PDR seems to be causing the wonkiness in subtitles. It also occurs, to a lesser extent, in regular titles.

My suggestion about particular fonts was off the mark, but you've narrowed the problem.

Here's a video showing a comparison between subtitles & titles with borders, shadows & plain text...

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!